Hornby Clan

The Fatadder

Thanks- reread the blog, and I think I restricted the front bogies travel with stops on the curve- I'll take a look tomorrow when I'm up at the layout- Clan is more or less a shelf sitter these days, but I should have posted a picture of that part of the mod as well..

Couple of shots showing homespun method of restricting swing on the front bogie - a shaped fillet of plasticard, which works well enough. IIR, this was going to be a temporary measure until I perfected some form of guiding wire control- a job still in the pipeline., I'm afraid....

post-2642-0-01699100-1431731627.jpg

post-2642-0-32132100-1431731648.jpg

Edited by Ben Alder

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bit of a thread resurrection.

Does anyone know if the Hornby Clan Class will reappear?

Sadly I owned one once and sold it. Trying to find a second hand example is like finding rocking horse poo. When one does come up for sale there is quite a premium.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

I'm not holding my breath about a new production run of Clans.

Hattons sold an 'as new' 72005 to me for around UKP150 a few weeks ago, and the same week a 72000 turned up on a local auction site for a similar amount here in NZ, but I had been keeping my eye open open these models for a few years on and off and have seen very few, let alone at sensible prices.

Given that it is arguably the best model Hornby have ever made I think around UKP150 is fair, others may differ.

I wonder if the tools are still around?  If Hengist comes into being and interest rises and the tools are available I imagine any new models would approach UKP200.

• RMweb Premium

There was a rumour that the tooling or part thereof for the Clan was lost/damaged/mislaid during the factory move away from Sanda Kan to whoever Hornby uses now.  This much perpetuated rumour may have now been shot down as balderdash but the absence of the Clan from Hornby's releases continues to prove puzzling.

I am glad I was able to acquire mine (in somewhat odd circumstances as it later turned out - long story!!) when I did, the new build may well trigger its reemergence I hope.

• RMweb Premium

If you look at John Uptons post it states "MAY" have been shot down as balderdash. I matters not the truth behind such rumours or official announcements; it would appear that Hornby are no longer the owners of said tooling and therefore would have to retool completely. I do not know if the Britannia tooling lends itself to adaptation I suspect not. A new Clan would as Rob says probably cost around GBP200 but then that is going to be theorise of most new models in the near future.

• RMweb Gold

If you look at John Uptons post it states "MAY" have been shot down as balderdash. I matters not the truth behind such rumours or official announcements; it would appear that Hornby are no longer the owners of said tooling and therefore would have to retool completely. I do not know if the Britannia tooling lends itself to adaptation I suspect not. A new Clan would as Rob says probably cost around GBP200 but then that is going to be theorise of most new models in the near future.

I can understand why you might think that.In actual fact,the tooling still exists,according to information gleaned at the NEC in November.Do not lose hope of a Clan reappearing just yet from Hornby.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the replies to my question.

The 2015 reply from Hornby kindly posted by Mark Axlecounter does at least sound positive in some respects.

I will drop Hornby an email this week and see if I can glean any more information as to the prospect of another batch.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

With modern production techniques, it should not matter that much if the mould tools have been misplaced/damaged. What will count most is having the CAD drawings to enable a new mould to be made.

I don't think it should matter that much that only 10 were built. Other locos that were rare in real life have been successful as models.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies to my question.

The 2015 reply from Hornby kindly posted by Mark Axlecounter does at least sound positive in some respects.

I will drop Hornby an email this week and see if I can glean any more information as to the prospect of another batch.

Cheers,

Mark

When mine got nicked I tried to get another but at 150+ I couldn't get one so I had to settle for the nice body of golden arrow clan they are a good representation of the clan and they fit on the rtr unit.

I'm not holding my breath about a new production run of Clans.

Hattons sold an 'as new' 72005 to me for around UKP150 a few weeks ago, and the same week a 72000 turned up on a local auction site for a similar amount here in NZ, but I had been keeping my eye open open these models for a few years on and off and have seen very few, let alone at sensible prices.

Given that it is arguably the best model Hornby have ever made I think around UKP150 is fair, others may differ.

I wonder if the tools are still around? If Hengist comes into being and interest rises and the tools are available I imagine any new models would approach UKP200.

A price of £150 for a second hand Clan does suggest to me that there isn’t much of a market for these models. I recently saw a new Black Five for sale at a show at £189.

Perhaps Hornby won’t be tempted to re-introduce this model.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

Retailer commission from the likes of Rails or Hattons limited to say 250 each of an early and a late crest one seems the most likely future option I would have thought.  If it proves an instant sell out then a second run with different numbers could be arranged a bit further down the road.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Last November I was told it had been dropped from the 2018 range.

But otherwise the tooling is whole and complete.

The source was extremely reputable. ;-)

Similarly the source also expressed amusement about the continued rumours of damaged, lost, stolen, corroded, teleported, transported, time shifted, vapourised, frozen, sterilised, cracked, baked (half of fully), melted, vulcanised, liquidated, petrified, putrefied, solidified, kentucky fried or other stories relating to the tooling.

It wasn’t unusual in days of Hornby past, for a tooling to be stored a few years, a decade or more.

Edited by adb968008

Last November I was told it had been dropped from the 2018 range.

But otherwise the tooling is whole and complete.

The source was extremely reputable. ;-)

Similarly the source also expressed amusement about the continued rumours of damaged, lost, stolen, corroded, teleported, vapourised, frozen, cracked, melted, vulcanised, liquidated, petrified, putrefied, solidified, kentucky fried or other stories relating to the tooling.

If your source is a Hornby employee, then perhaps they should provide information which is current,accurate and factual as regards this model.

I think they all need to sing from the same song sheet.

I would love Hornby to re-release the Clan Class, personally I could find a home for at least two.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold

In a class of 9 (+1 maybe) they need to be a little cautious, 1/3rd the fleet has already been modelled.

Economically, rereleasing an older one to meet current demand, may be prudent to releasing a new number.

For example, with 71000, what comes next ? (To me would be a super detail upgrade on the chassis), but beyond creating a new “Gertrude of Gloucester” in the Thomas the tank range it’s a bit limited.

Edited by adb968008

The only part missing is the body tooling (and maybe only part of the body tooling as the cab and running plate are the same as the Britannia as far as I can tell looking at mine), so the gap is not huge to close.

Mind you with a new build underway, that could provide incentive to tool up the missing parts needed to produce one. Of  course, I doubt we will see a new Clan running on the real railways for at least another 10 to 15 years, so bit of a wait really.

Wheres the Gloat button when you need it?

I picked mine up from Modelzone Holborn . It had been in the cabinet for ages, then I noticed the run down of Hornby stock, plus a 50% off sale. Soon transformed it into 72009 Clan Stewart (as used  - just - on the GE section).

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Wheres the Gloat button when you need it?

I picked mine up from Modelzone Holborn . It had been in the cabinet for ages, then I noticed the run down of Hornby stock, plus a 50% off sale. Soon transformed it into 72009 Clan Stewart (as used  - just - on the GE section).

Stewart

I won mine..does that qualify ?

;-)

• Like 1