Hornby Clan

The Fatadder

Now admittedly this was over a year ago but whilst holidaying in Dorset I came across an art shop with quite a few model railway items from Hornby which included (I think) 3 Clans all brand new in box.  All of their Hornby stock was years old and priced at the price for when it was first released - I got a couple of 08s for £60 ish each if I recall correctly - brand new.  I think the Clans were about £120 but could be wrong - I considered buying to shift on given I hadn't seen any for years but decided not to.  The point of this ramble... I didn't get the impression the shop in question turned over their stocks very often so they may still be there... I don't know the shop name but is in Dorchester opposite the Egyptian museum - if anyone in area and looking for a Clan might be worth a look?

I think I know the place you mean.

We will find that out quite soon enough, I think. :jester:

Of course, if one wants/needs a Clan to fit into a layout set in a part of the country where they ran, neither a B17 or a King are likely to be plausible substitutes...........

John

Yes I agree, but I was thinking in a rather tunnel-vision way about 'value', this being a perennial issue in some threads, like SWS being north of £200 rrp and yet it has some production faults. Maybe the new run at the higher price will have less issues, body lug and general qc .. but given the price of labour in China and the New Year thing I'm not holding my breath.

I like to think that tidy or indeed immaculate s/h models will keep value in the foreseeable, but the whole idea of value goes out the window at times, Bachmann C SECR full livery, or a short burst of Hornby Exeters from SK.

I just bought a detailed weathered renumbered DCC-fitted Black 5 for just under £100 and am well-pleased, I daresay the seller is too. Which begs the question will Hornby update this model with better front wheels and tender etc in much the same way as they have just done with the Duchess. I doubt it, and maybe it depends on how well the big selling models do in general? These being Duchesses and others with a heritage presence.

• RMweb Gold

Yes I agree, but I was thinking in a rather tunnel-vision way about 'value', this being a perennial issue in some threads, like SWS being north of £200 rrp and yet it has some production faults. Maybe the new run at the higher price will have less issues, body lug and general qc .. but given the price of labour in China and the New Year thing I'm not holding my breath.

I like to think that tidy or indeed immaculate s/h models will keep value in the foreseeable, but the whole idea of value goes out the window at times, Bachmann C SECR full livery, or a short burst of Hornby Exeters from SK.

I just bought a detailed weathered renumbered DCC-fitted Black 5 for just under £100 and am well-pleased, I daresay the seller is too. Which begs the question will Hornby update this model with better front wheels and tender etc in much the same way as they have just done with the Duchess. I doubt it, and maybe it depends on how well the big selling models do in general? These being Duchesses and others with a heritage presence.

The Black Five would be a good candidate for a revamp.

With new 21st century tooling, Hornby could incorporate many more variations than can be covered in the existing model.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Hmm...

So I have two clans, one was bought with a conversion project to a 2-8-2 in mind...

Should I open my toolbox or my inbox ?

If they are mint my offer of £108.60 still stands.  For the pair. Can't say fairer than that guv.

• RMweb Gold

If I am permitted here is my 72000 before I sold it in 2012 for from memory about £100...

just so people can recall how a pristine one might look 

attachicon.gif72000_Clan_at_Speed_3abcdefg_r1200.jpg

pic edited will remove if required.

I think the Clan and 4MT are Hornby's best models ever

p.s. this is on my layout before the big earthquake in 2/2011 in ChCh NZ  my track ballasting skills or lack thereof are evident! :)

Lovely picture Rob. Agree the Clan is among Hornby's best but the Standard 4 just misses the mark for me - I think the Bachmann model captures the look of the 4 better. 

• RMweb Gold

If they are mint my offer of £108.60 still stands. For the pair. Can't say fairer than that guv.

I accept. As a 2-8-2 I have a pair of pony wheels spare I will gladly sell to you for £108.60, and if you pay the postage I will even give you the axles they sit on for free ;-)

Now Where’s my knife to take to that body...

(As an FYI in real life you actually bought my 70000 from me back in 2014, I kept Schtum at the time in case it arrived and didn’t work :-)

Edited by adb968008

I accept. As a 2-8-2 I have a pair of pony wheels spare I will gladly sell to you for £108.60, and if you pay the postage I will even give you the axles they sit on for free ;-)

Now Where’s my knife to take to that body...

(As an FYI in real life you actually bought my 70000 from me back in 2014, I kept Schtum at the time in case it arrived and didn’t work :-)

I still have that 70000 and it's lovely. As to the two Clans there appears to have a been an unplanned disruption to communication and I will get back to you as soon as normal service resumes. :)

Moving quickly along, I wonder what the actual production runs of 72000/72005/72008 were? And if any Rail of Sheffield special edition 72002 were actually made?.. the last listed in Ramsays. Pat Hammond puts all three Hornby at £100 s/h and 72000 as 2009 only, 72005 at 2010-12 and 72008 at 2009-11 but of course his price estimates are strictly that. Estimates.

To be honest a bit more more communication in such as The Engine Shed about older models would make interesting reading, but maybe I don't look in the right places

• Like 1

I was thinking that The Engine Shed may not be interested in ever writing about older models such as the Clan because that wouldn't sell new ones.   In Hornby's thinking anyway...

I think any well-written stuff about older models is good for the hobby and thus good for Hornby, but I doubt the current management see it quite that way.

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking that The Engine Shed may not be interested in ever writing about older models such as the Clan because that wouldn't sell new ones.   In Hornby's thinking anyway...

I think any well-written stuff about older models is good for the hobby and thus good for Hornby, but I doubt the current management see it quite that way.

Have faith Rob.Some just might see it your way....

at risk of over-doing it here are two more pics of Hornby Clans...    one I have shown before in 'best ever' 

just to emphasis what a great RTR model these are.

post-7929-0-09931600-1520455554_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-76733500-1520455580_thumb.jpg

as penance I am now going to detail a Bachmann A1 as best I can.  Blue BR version quite an impressive model too.

• Like 6

Indeed,you could buy an Atholl with change to spare.

Given the apparent rarity of a new Clan , and I make the presumption that the seller is honest (his feedback suggests so) I think it's fair.

Doesn't Ebay gave a guarantee regardless, if the item is falsely presented?  I bought some models off a UK gentleman who said his 00 engines were in good order but one didn't run and one was jerky and I got an immediate refund. Payment had been made by Paypal, not sure if the guy was very willing, he claimed they had been fine when they left the UK... I gave him bad feedback so it was overall his loss. No money and bad reputation. 

Having just bought two Black 5s for a total of £190+ (ok some would say that's mad) I can divulge that I quite often buy models in the £160-£190 area because to me they are worth it. I doubt I'll be able to resist the Bachmann LBSCR H1 Atlanti when it arrives.

I think that £166 bid would pay for two tyres on my car...    :)  

There must be quite a few people sitting on Clans and SECR C type 0-6-0s out there, but clearly not many sellers.

Edit; I have seen some Britannias go up to £200 or so but whether the asking price was reached I did't check, because you can always to a rename renumber on most of these? Of course then it wouldn't be new nor original.  Go to Amazon and some other international web sellers and you can see prices far higher!.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

Theres a Clan for sale tonight at £160 or best offer, from Locoshed in Whitefield..

I don't know do I put it here or does it class as a bargain in that thread ?

Doesn't look like it's there now.

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Gold

at risk of over-doing it here are two more pics of Hornby Clans...    one I have shown before in 'best ever' 

just to emphasis what a great RTR model these are.

attachicon.gif72000_Clan_Making_Time_2abcdef_r1200.jpg

attachicon.gif72008_Clan_72008_shed_1a_r1200a.jpg

as penance I am now going to detail a Bachmann A1 as best I can.  Blue BR version quite an impressive model too.

That second one should have a mouse somewhere in view. Pure Cuneo.

What on earth do people do to their models???

This is one of the main reasons I WON'T buy second hand models. Even if they look OK externally, a whole host of carpet fibres/pet hair/worn parts might emerge after purchase.

But seriously what on earth was done to that tender? Glue marks on the body, glue on the rear of the coal space, glue on the sieve boxe. If you are going to fix some broken parts on the chassis, at least mask or better still, take off the body, such that worst case you repaint the chassis satin black. The sieve box is part of the chassis so there should be no glue on the body at all. Or even better solution, buy a spare tender chassis unit (which you could with Sanda Kan models)

Talk about ham-fisted. These are models not toys!

Such a shame to see a rare model ruined like that. And don't bother trying to match a spare britannia tender with that loco, the finishes of the Clan seem slightly more gloss.... Maybe just maybe a William Shakespeare or Royal Britannia tender (but then again both those models are limited editions...). So you're looking at a full repaint....

Edited by G-BOAF

What on earth do people do to their models???

This is one of the main reasons I WON'T buy second hand models. Even if they look OK externally, a whole host of carpet fibres/pet hair/worn parts might emerge after purchase.

But seriously what on earth was done to that tender? Glue marks on the body, glue on the rear of the coal space, glue on the sieve boxe. If you are going to fix some broken parts on the chassis, at least mask or better still, take off the body, such that worst case you repaint the chassis satin black. The sieve box is part of the chassis so there should be no glue on the body at all. Or even better solution, buy a spare tender chassis unit (which you could with Sanda Kan models)

Talk about ham-fisted. These are models not toys!

Such a shame to see a rare model ruined like that. And don't bother trying to match a spare britannia tender with that loco, the finishes of the Clan seem slightly more gloss.... Maybe just maybe a William Shakespeare or Royal Britannia tender (but then again both those models are limited editions...). So you're looking at a full repaint....

It has been run an awful lot too - the wheels have lost their plating. And there is some odd blue colour under part of the tender and the front bogie. Not convinced on the price given the work required.

The last time I bid on a Clan I ended up with a DVD.......Mind you it was late on a Saturday night and I was rather drunk at the time !

post-20303-0-89852000-1520616430.jpeg

• Like 1