Hornby Clan

The Fatadder

A price of £150 for a second hand Clan does suggest to me that there isn’t much of a market for these models. I recently saw a new Black Five for sale at a show at £189.

Perhaps Hornby won’t be tempted to re-introduce this model.

Regards

Has anyone got any idea which Hornby locos are now commanding a high second hand price now.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone got any idea which Hornby locos are now commanding a high second hand price now.

Thanks

Rebuilt Bulleid Light Pacifics seem to be the most consistent in doing that, though they don't generally start appreciating until at least a year after they cease to be obtainable new.

Prices of older ones tend to track those of new releases rather than their original cost and that seems to be spreading to other models, especially Britannias.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

His feedback is good.  I'd bid , but I already have all three Hornby production Clans.  That said, I'd bid anyway at £100 , I have an irrational liking for rare Hornby models.....  t'will be interesting to see how it goes.

His feedback is good. I'd bid , but I already have all three Hornby production Clans. That said, I'd bid anyway at £100 , I have an irrational liking for rare Hornby models..... t'will be interesting to see how it goes.

It’ll be interesting just how far north of £100 the bidding goes. Anything less than £200 will, I think, show that there isn’t much of a market for a new production Clan

Regards

That might have something to do with the comment that he has never opened the box.

Bernard

That might have something to do with the comment that he has never opened the box.

Bernard

Which means that he doesn't know if it runs! And no returns accepted!

Could be an interesting purchase

Edited by PenrithBeacon

• RMweb Gold

Which means that he doesn't know if it runs! And no returns accepted!

Could be an interesting purchase

If it’s unopened and not run then the law of averages are that it will be fine (we didn’t have mass reports of Clan problems when they were new). Likewise if there is a mechanical problem it’s an easy fix with plentiful spares from the still current Britannia. And ‘no returns’ doesn’t cancel your basic rights to a refund if it isn’t as described.

• RMweb Gold

Bernard

Which is not necessarily the same thing as the box never having been opened - you don't even know if it's the correct loco in there............

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Which is not necessarily the same thing as the box never having been opened - you don't even know if it's the correct loco in there............

John

I don't think he would like to lose his feedback rating.

You would think that showing the internals of the box without removing the engine would make sense, but when I did that (carefully opening end flap with flat blade, and so on) and not disturbing the tissue papers around the actual model, all for a local auction site, I was told by the management of the auction that the model would no longer qualify as being 'new'. Many Hornby sleeved boxes have a blank white card hiding the engine too, which makes the remval of basic packaging devalue the 'new'  'unopened'  status. 

Thus there are some pretty odd ideas for collectors items.. the 15 Guinea Special pair of Black 5s commands high prices when untouched/unopened.

I couldn't get my head around it at first, because some retailers open and test-run new models and they are still 'new'.

I think this Clan seller has a genuine item, mainly because if not his feedback rating would take a hit.

typo edit

p.s. I think the model has been opened, there are faint bruises on one end flap, probably the seller has checked it looks ok but wants to keep the 'unopened' status, meaning to him 'never unpacked'..  he also calls the box a 'book'  so he isn't a very careful writer, but then neither am I!

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

His feedback is good.  I'd bid , but I already have all three Hornby production Clans.  That said, I'd bid anyway at £100 , I have an irrational liking for rare Hornby models.....  t'will be interesting to see how it goes.

You have competition ;)

• RMweb Gold

I don't think he would like to lose his feedback rating.

You would think that showing the internals of the box without removing the engine would make sense, but when I did that (carefully opening end flap with flat blade, and so on) and not disturbing the tissue papers around the actual model, all for a local auction site, I was told by the management of the auction that the model would no longer qualify as being 'new'. Many Hornby sleeved boxes have a blank white card hiding the engine too, which makes the remval of basic packaging devalue the 'new'  'unopened'  status. 

Thus there are some pretty odd ideas for collectors items.. the 15 Guinea Special pair of Black 5s commands high prices when untouched/unopened.

I couldn't get my head around it at first, because some retailers open and test-run new models and they are still 'new'.

I think this Clan seller has a genuine item, mainly because if not his feedback rating would take a hit.

typo edit

p.s. I think the model has been opened, there are faint bruises on one end flap, probably the seller has checked it looks ok but wants to keep the 'unopened' status, meaning to him 'never unpacked'..  he also calls the box a 'book'  so he isn't a very careful writer, but then neither am I!

From the picture, I would definitely say that the box has been opened at some point.

Presuming that the seller, as stated, hasn't done so himself, he is also "in the dark" as to the contents and its condition.

Given the number of defective locos that get out, I can see no logic in collecting factory-sealed models. Anyway, if one never sees the contents, why not just collect boxes?

Schrodinger's Loco's - they can be considered to be both perfect and riddled with Mazak rot, but you won't know which until you open the box.....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

The seller is saying that it’s new. If this is so then he hasn’t bought it off someone else because if he did it would be second hand. He also says the box hasn’t been opened but it clearly has.

I’m not in the market for a Clan but I’d stay away from this one

Now admittedly this was over a year ago but whilst holidaying in Dorset I came across an art shop with quite a few model railway items from Hornby which included (I think) 3 Clans all brand new in box.  All of their Hornby stock was years old and priced at the price for when it was first released - I got a couple of 08s for £60 ish each if I recall correctly - brand new.  I think the Clans were about £120 but could be wrong - I considered buying to shift on given I hadn't seen any for years but decided not to.  The point of this ramble... I didn't get the impression the shop in question turned over their stocks very often so they may still be there... I don't know the shop name but is in Dorchester opposite the Egyptian museum - if anyone in area and looking for a Clan might be worth a look?

M

If I am permitted here is my 72000 before I sold it in 2012 for from memory about £100...

just so people can recall how a pristine one might look 

post-7929-0-46380100-1520371543_thumb.jpg

pic edited will remove if required.

I think the Clan and 4MT are Hornby's best models ever

p.s. this is on my layout before the big earthquake in 2/2011 in ChCh NZ  my track ballasting skills or lack thereof are evident! :)

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

Already gone!

Make me wonder how many new models would sell at £200+ if of excellent quality....    and yet you can buy a mint new B17 or King for £70-80?  So it's not just the quality of the model, there must be some other factor, presumably rarity or personal connection to the prototype or something?

• RMweb Gold

Make me wonder how many new models would sell at £200+ if of excellent quality....    and yet you can buy a mint new B17 or King for £70-80?  So it's not just the quality of the model, there must be some other factor, presumably rarity or personal connection to the prototype or something?

We will find that out quite soon enough, I think. :jester:

Of course, if one wants/needs a Clan to fit into a layout set in a part of the country where they ran, neither a B17 or a King are likely to be plausible substitutes...........

John