Warley NEC 2010

Penlan

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like Warley may be worth a revisit next year then?

However, my visit yesterday to the 36E MRE cost me £3.00, no travel costs (I walked), no unpleasant smells or rucksack encounters AFAIK and I only had to spend an hour admiring stuff, ESPECIALLY the Bassetlaw & North Notts RC 7mm layout "Idleford". XLNT.

I was almost converted to 7mm but can't contemplate the additional stress or costs;)

Just thinking now about whether I catch numerous buses (free) to the Wakefield show next week!

Cheers, 36E

and after my disclaimer please don't mention anymore rucksacks, i will scream. (which isn't a pretty thing)

Well there did seem to be a profusion of what Mrs 298 would call "Manbags" which are obviously fine for anyone who isn't on a camping trip and are better for carrying magazines in. So the message seems to be getting through.

I was a little confused by the layout (of the hall), those Capitalists at the NEC are obviously just giving the Warley club the exact square footage they're paying for rather than the whole hall, and it was quite easy to get lost and miss parts of the show. Why not have a long aisle from the entrance to face the centrepiece loco (with a headlight on it to make it more visually dynamic, although we'll draw the line at smoke effects).

I was a little confused by the layout (of the hall), those Capitalists at the NEC are obviously just giving the Warley club the exact square footage they're paying for rather than the whole hall, and it was quite easy to get lost and miss parts of the show. Why not have a long aisle from the entrance to face the centrepiece loco (with a headlight on it to make it more visually dynamic, although we'll draw the line at smoke effects).

Yeah i totally agree, i got lost several times looking for a particular layout or a trader which i wanted to go back to etc, so in a lot of ways lots of my time was used trying to find things.

I have thought long and hard before tackling this quote. I was initially going to edit it out but thought better of it.

Apologies if those remarks were out of order. I think I made them in response to a previous comment about the absense of BO.

Having said that, my experience was of two isolated events, so as you say in a crowd of thousands I must count myself lucky not to have come across more.

Apologies if those remarks were out of order. I think I made them in response to a previous comment about the absense of BO.

Having said that, my experience was of two isolated events, so as you say in a crowd of thousands I must count myself lucky not to have come across more.

No apology needed just trying to keep the thread on topic rather than have it divert onto 'other' matters.

I was a little confused by the layout (of the hall)

Yeah i totally agree, i got lost several times looking for a particular layout or a trader which i wanted to go back to etc, so in a lot of ways lots of my time was used trying to find things.

I guess it helps to do a bit of pre-planning if possible. I've found it useful to study the floor plan and work out a route or strategy for covering as much as possible. This year I printed off an A4 copy of the hall plan from the Warley exhibition website and marked in colour the stands I most wished to visit. Fortunately the hall layout was approximately in rows from left to right, so it was just a matter of walking back and forth, circling each island of stands and layouts as I went. Any I wished to return to, I just marked with a pen and went back once my route march was completed. It still took 8 hours to complete it all.

The remark wasn't about the subject matter, Pete, but rather about the approach to the hobby, dated methods, techniques and materials.

I think the chap was spot on and think that it applies in other areas as well, particularly in the approach to building, presenting and operating exhibition layouts.

Well maybe you should show them all how it should be done, then... :mellow: ;)

• RMweb Premium

I guess it helps to do a bit of pre-planning if possible. I've found it useful to study the floor plan and work out a route or strategy for covering as much as possible. This year I printed off an A4 copy of the hall plan from the Warley exhibition website and marked in colour the stands I most wished to visit. Fortunately the hall layout was approximately in rows from left to right, so it was just a matter of walking back and forth, circling each island of stands and layouts as I went. Any I wished to return to, I just marked with a pen and went back once my route march was completed. It still took 8 hours to complete it all.

That's a really good idea; thanks for the tip. Last time I went a few years ago, on arrival I went directly to the refreshment area with my 'guide book' and worked out a priority plan of attack. I think you have to accept that some things are not going to be seen unless you have the time towards the end of the visit. I have also tried just keeping to a shopping list, however....those books, those lovely books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

36E

• RMweb Premium

Here are a selection of shots for those that couldn't get there:

First, an overall shot of Ackthorpe, which was nice to see having just read about it in one of the mags:

post-7013-088154800 1290357542_thumb.jpg

An overall shot of Barmouth Bridge, very impressive for the size of the thing:

post-7013-028047400 1290357545_thumb.jpg

An overall view of Herculaneum Dock. Amongst lots of impressive details, the inset track was just superb:

post-7013-074196000 1290357552_thumb.jpg

A cropped section of Midhurst, for the beautifully complex trackwork:

post-7013-080262500 1290357538_thumb.jpg

An FIA 10001 in the display case on the Model Rail stand. Not sure why, particularly, but with the Bachmann pre-pro versions in their case, this seems to be one of the locos of the moment:

post-7013-031675200 1290357550_thumb.jpg

A slightly opportunist shot of Lion, which happened to be sitting on the Model Rail photo embankment. Obviously pre-pro by some of the printed on details, but very nice to look at nonetheless:

post-7013-059137100 1290357554_thumb.jpg

And finally, a cropped section of a blue/grey layout that I really liked the look of but can't remember the name! Unfortunately, a lack of lighting made taking decent pics very tricky, and this one has been played with to try to improve it:

post-7013-009239200 1290357548_thumb.jpg

I'd done that with the trade stands I wished to visit marked on, but unfortunately there was no mention of the layout stand no's on their website. They obviously want you to buy a guide book.

well I went today after an abscence of 6 years....

I enjoyed it as a whole, but was there a lack of diesel era layouts ?I counted about four - of these my favourite was 'pengywn crossing' by bentley MRG, ticking all the boxes for diesel/rural (china clay).

I didn't see any bargains nor anything ground breaking really. The major advantage of warley seems to be that you can get all those little bits in one place, but it cost me £19 in ticket and parking to get that far.

Well maybe you should show them all how it should be done, then... :mellow: ;)

I was expecting a comment like that.

I don't pretend that my own modelling skills come anyway near exhibition standard, but I expect those layouts exhibited at the major events to be aiming towards the highest order in build, presentation and operation. Particularly if the layout is presented by a club.

Sometimes I think polital correctness goes too far with regard to criticising exhibition layouts. It's one thing to praise the efforts of others, even if they fall way short of perfect, but in circumstances such as exhibiting at a premier event, then there are really no excuses.

Anyway, we've had this discussion before and I don't think this thread is the place to continue it.

The lighting is certainly one of the reasons I don't go to the NEC(for any reason). For model railway shows I can't see the layouts properly and echo Oakeydokes comments about the stands needing their own lighting. In any case, after 2-3 hours I get a headache and can't take any more; this is obviously not long enough to see everything.

Still, I'm glad those who went enjoyed it.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Took my camera but did not use it, sometimes it is difficult to get decent shots because of (a) lighting, however there is no excuse for poorly lit shots with modern digital cameras which can be set for the various sources of light. (B) composition because of being able to get in a position to get the best shot and © focus because with the best will in the world it is difficult to get a really sharp shot without a tripod and a decent sized flash neither of which are welcome or practical at exhibitons like Warley.

I too noticed the distinct lack of D/E layouts, was this a conscious decision by the organisers? I do not model D/E but I do like to see those big modern locos, cant wait to see CL70 on a layout, they look awesome.

HELP needed. There was a trader, up against the side wall, who had diecast lorry cabs, chassis and bodies (both modern and vintage) for you to mix and match together. Was going to take a price list (for the WWW address) but at 50P I thought I'd commit it to memory and have promptly forgotten it. Have checked the Warley website list of traders and nothing is sounding familiar. I believe it was www.diecast- ???? Had a Google and thus far drawing a blank. Can anyone help!:D

Show wise - a very enjoyable trip – actually took the time to look more closely at those layouts that aren’t particularly my area of interest and thoroughly enjoyed them all . I don't know if the aisles were wider or numbers were down but there was definitely more room than Sunday last year. Also seemed more natural light than last year (was it a really grey day last year?) had they replaced/cleaned the glass in the skylights?? ::laugh_mini:. However - still not enough chairs for the refreshment area - saw a few 'scrum-downs'.

Thanks to all who organised and participated in the show - much appreciated.

again help needed

can any one help me saw on Saturday a stand seling plaques with different surfaces and said i would return today but unfoscene circumstances prevented me does any body know the name of the company, stand no, a website and contact details

HELP needed. There was a trader, up against the side wall, who had diecast lorry cabs, chassis and bodies (both modern and vintage) for you to mix and match together. Was going to take a price list (for the WWW address) but at 50P I thought I'd commit it to memory and have promptly forgotten it. Have checked the Warley website list of traders and nothing is sounding familiar. I believe it was www.diecast- ???? Had a Google and thus far drawing a blank. Can anyone help!:D

Show wise - a very enjoyable trip – actually took the time to look more closely at those layouts that aren’t particularly my area of interest and thoroughly enjoyed them all . I don't know if the isles were wider or numbers were down but there was definitely more room than Sunday last year. Also seemed more natural light than last year (was it a really grey day last year?) had they replaced/cleaned the glass in the skylights?? ::laugh_mini:. However - still not enough chairs for the refreshment area - saw a few 'scrum-downs'.

Thanks to all who organised and participated in the show - much appreciated.

Sounds like it could be RTI (Road Transport Images). They sell a cracking CDROM catalogue with photo's of dioramas. They do a range of diecast chassis with resin cabs, etc, so you can build model lorries with your choice of cab, chassis and body.

My link

Another good show. Good train journey upto the show from Swansea and good journey home.

Really enjoyed the show, fantastic layouts and excellent demonstrators enjoyed talking to few of them inspired me anyway. And judging from the excitment from the kids i seen going around with they stands they were enjoying.

Always come back from this show inspired :)

Fantastic weekend looking forward to 2011 show

Archived