The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Wind has dropped a bit but its still what could be called a bit very breezy. While the window man was here on Friday I asked him about the back door that was sticking. He showed me a couple of tricks to stop it sticking. One is a seal that has stretched and just needs trimming and another is adjusting the hinges, pushing the hinge pins back where they have worked loose. The door and the window are both over thirty years old but still doing their job. Just proves that paying a bit extra for quality works out cheaper in the long run. Its a pity that the company that installed the windows (Zenith) are no longer in business. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

From that I assume the offender will be interviewed under caution and then have an unfortunate fall down the stairs on his way to the cells.

The panel has been removed and no relay found.  I suspect that I will now have to get the ladder and look in the loft. What fun this afternoon. I'm just happy that it's only 22 degrees and not 32.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

Raving lunacy has now seemingly descended on many of the residents of our road - all out there for 'something' with lots of clapping and laughter and crowding together.  I actually thought that most people in this road were intelligent and could count.   It would appear that I am wrong - no social distancing on the part of many and huddled groups of considerably more than six, what a bunch of ignorant pillocks (or there are some very large families with marital arrangements that put a certain polygamous religious sect to shame).

It seems that mass lunacy and lack of common sense is not confined to those living in large cities or descending on certain seaside resorts.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, southern42 said:

Fingers crossed my attempt will not be in vain.

2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Is that a new technique whilst playing?

Or just the result of trying things at speed?

:)

-------------------Speeeeeeeeed? What's that?  

• Like 2
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

John (DMJ), I liked your t-shirt, although apart from one or two dog club t-shirts and two Pink Floyd at the V&A Exhibition souvenirs, my t-shirts are boringly plain. Having said that, I have seen a number of them with (for me) amusing slogans and/or images. The infamous “Adolf Hitler World Tour” being one of them, along with a number of others like  “Zombies Eat Brains…. Don’t Worry, You’re Safe”, “I had my patience tested: I’m negative” or a particular favourite of mine “Leave me alone: I’m only speaking to my dog today!” Sartorially I am quite boring, still liking crisp white shirts, a properly knotted silk tie and a suitable jacket and a pair of razor sharp crease trousers (not forgetting the shined leather shoes), although I have been known to dress somewhat more informally with either smart jeans and a polo shirt or dockers/chinos and a casual button down shirt. Sometimes I wish that I had the panache (and the wherewithal) to dress in Edwardian Gentleman's clothing. Which in my view is the absolute peak of gentlemanly elegance.

Not a great photo, but you'll get the idea of this T Shirt.

P1000649.JPG

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Vienna has one of those too. Just cruises round and round the Ring.

My plan for the next couple of years is to do a lot of short city breaks. Any city with trams and good beer will be high up on the list.

Brno has quite a few good brewpubs aswell as a good tram network. Plzen is also good , not forgetting Prague.

This morning I booked my first pub visit for next Saturday. Thus was done by chance when trying to book Pilgrim brewery as they are using Table Agent. However one of our local pubs appeared on that website, so booked a slot and received a confirmation.  Just been to that pub to get a 4 pint take out of ale. They said that they may not be using that website as people haven't been able to make it work but were interested to know that it worked for me. So they have my details just incase. They are very concerned how its all going to pan out as they are having to have extra staff to meet and great customers. They also fear trouble when people aren't allowed in when those people have managed to get in other pubs without booking.

I have been trying to work out how we book pubs in Exeter on our 'Not USA 2020 Summer trip' and is proving hard as very few have any info as to how they will operate. Annoyingly the Double locks is a Youngs pub and they aren't opening till late July. We will be walking right past that pub on our way to Topsham.

Yesterday on our long walk to Reigate we found most shops that were open, deserted, even Boots and WH Smiths, when in pre Covid days they were busy. usual queues for M & S food hall and the butchers. Today we went into the shopping centre in Redhill  and again many shops were empty with many still not reopened. However WIlcos Sainsburys and Poundland had the usual long queues. Luckily I just needed to pay a cheque in.

I fear for many of these shops let alone pubs.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Ideally I will have two - there are so many dogs who are being rehomed in pairs and they stick as it may be too much responsibility for some.

It's what I'll be looking for when I decide to adopt, two older dogs, ideally collie AND COLLIE. 

Ben the clever Collie has modified your choice.. :D

Two hours spent mowing,  

1 hour spent completing netting doors,  to be told I have two more to make:angry:

2 hours spent scraping one side of the deck with added hot air gun to the point it's ready for it's final sand. 

I retired with headache probably from the fumes,  it's blowing a hoolie out there so it was drafty in the marquee,  I wasn't expecting to be affected... 

Soon after SwMBO came back with Ben from the long patrol.. 

Ben is still on no ball  patrols which he solved by disappearing into the undergrowth down the lane and coming back with one of his previously lost tennis balls. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

Brno has quite a few good brewpubs aswell as a good tram network. Plzen is also good , not forgetting Prague.

This morning I booked my first pub visit for next Saturday. Thus was done by chance when trying to book Pilgrim brewery as they are using Table Agent. However one of our local pubs appeared on that website, so booked a slot and received a confirmation.  Just been to that pub to get a 4 pint take out of ale. They said that they may not be using that website as people haven't been able to make it work but were interested to know that it worked for me. So they have my details just incase. They are very concerned how its all going to pan out as they are having to have extra staff to meet and great customers. They also fear trouble when people aren't allowed in when those people have managed to get in other pubs without booking.

I have been trying to work out how we book pubs in Exeter on our 'Not USA 2020 Summer trip' and is proving hard as very few have any info as to how they will operate. Annoyingly the Double locks is a Youngs pub and they aren't opening till late July. We will be walking right past that pub on our way to Topsham.

Yesterday on our long walk to Reigate we found most shops that were open, deserted, even Boots and WH Smiths, when in pre Covid days they were busy. usual queues for M & S food hall and the butchers. Today we went into the shopping centre in Redhill  and again many shops were empty with many still not reopened. However WIlcos Sainsburys and Poundland had the usual long queues. Luckily I just needed to pay a cheque in.

I fear for many of these shops let alone pubs.

At one point, Young's were saying that they were not re-opening until September.

The Double Locks is one of my favourite pubs.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

It continues to precipitate profusely.

More Slarty-scenic work, some building construction, tree making by the boss continues apace.  it can't last.

Going out for a curry with friend Jayne tonight, she's off this next week too so decided to go for a meal on a quiet night rather than Saturday.  Pubs & restaurants all back to normal here now, and even the hospitals from Thursday past, PPE free unless you wish to wear it.  One benefit of a small island, with control over its borders- 36 days CV free now.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Ben is still on no ball  patrols which he solved by disappearing into the undergrowth down the lane and coming back with one of his previously lost tennis balls. 

No he's not.

He's harvesting the results of his previous labour as the tennis ball trees he planted earlier have fruited.

Sandy (the dog) used to do that.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 3
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

No he's not.

He's harvesting the results of his previous labour as the tennis ball trees he planted

When we took Robbie as a pup onto the Benfleet Downs the first time he found a hair brush. After running about with it for a while he took it into the brambles and hid it. The next week he found it and hid it again further along the path. So each week it moved a bit closer to Southend. One week it wasn’t there. He just seemed to accept it and didn’t bother looking again. 
Tony

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Fresh winds = trees in big pots blown over.  Fortunately at the time the highly expected rain did not appear but, now when the odds were much much less we have rain bashing against the windows.  Fortunately I am in doors and still able to comment or tick as I am waiting for plaster to dry and harden before I do any more damage to the 7' thing on trestles the thas had modified scenic changes - no0t sure if it was a good choice.  

Hope Jamie finds his 'box' without having to turn he news decoration.  Many years since we had a dog but she preferred to add to our supply of sticks when walking in the forest but was a dab hand at puncturing our lads air-filled balls (I much prefer rugby and to be fair he does now possess a Gilbert) and did play it a bit.

Would hate to be a council worker having to cleanup not only the litter but also the 'mess' that itself is capable of containing a certain live virus according to earlier studies made.

Now the sun is out ... cheers have been able to get to the end after the usual forgotten password intro ... wonder will never cease.

Edited by PeterBB
Correction of spell checker 'correction'.
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The car in Idaho that split in half. Was there any suggestion that the vehicle was a cut and shut repair from two donor cars? 
Tony

None that I know of but I was wondering the same thing myself. It looks like it must have rolled repeatedly and literally fell to bits. I'm not sure what make the car was.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Great news - following a management decision not involving me the washing was put out again, and was rained on several times;  I was not told that I had been responsible for the decision (i.e. not my fault, for once).  I was however blamed for something else and ir was obviously crucially important because I've forgotten what it was - and so has herself (possibly because I acrued brownie points by scrubbing the carrots).

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 11

10 hours ago, roundhouse said:
14 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Keep Portland Weird

Interesting that Brno in CZ also uses the same slogan albiet in Czech.

I don't know about Brno, but Austin started it in the US. "Keep Austin Weird" (2000). Portland adopted it in 2003.

Officially, Portland is still the "City of Roses" - which ties into the International Rose test garden and the annual Rose Festival, which this year, was of course, cancelled.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 5

My church is opening this evening for private prayer.  We did a risk assessment and one of our requirements is social distancing of 2 metres.    I need to scheme out how we could hold a communion service, unlikely we can have wafers, it could be bring your own bread. 

Bill

• Friendly/supportive 14

Morning all,

Progress has been made on the Scotchman, the photo below has been purposely messed-with so as to dodge any stray awls. The horse show still continues today, so I can continue building the firebox in peace whilst listening to the Bovington Tankfest Live. I’m off to make another grilled cheese, as I don’t have any other options for the midday fodder session.

FB839978-4661-46F1-A14E-D0CF78DEF7FA.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Funny 9