The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Our predicted thunderstorm started just after I logged into ER; it's now bown itself out or away.

I've been making rolling stock storage. Scrapbooking trays (clamshell types) that I've had for years with dividers made of foam core board. The early ones I made were from board about 1/4" thick; the latest are 3/16 and possibly 1/8". The trays are 13' square (roughly, and not square as there are indents in the sides. It makes it tricky to cut strips from sheets of 20"x30".  And the final one was a different type and didn't like being cut with a knife.

Motorhome refrigerator door: I'm supposed to take the decorative panel from the original door. But I can't see a way to get it apart -- I think it's kind of glued together. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Motorhome refrigerator door: I'm supposed to take the decorative panel from the original door. But I can't see a way to get it apart -- I think it's kind of glued together. 

Does the panel lift upwards and then off?  Or, if glued on, it may be possible to use very thin, high breaking strain fishing line as a saw; a short length tied between a couple of "handles" (screwdrivers would do) may do the trick, though it's a large area.  I've used this technique for removing car badges from cars before (my car!) without marking the paintwork.  A fridge door is a bit bigger area though.......

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

In local Oregon news, here's one for the "Keep Portland Weird" files:

Interesting that Brno in CZ also uses the same slogan albiet in Czech. Lovely city. The hotel we use is opposite the main station with trams also passing along the street. Some good breweries aswell but it has something that Portland doesnt have, a tram with a bar onboard, we drank the local brew ,not Heineken

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 minutes ago, chrisf said:

..... I have not made the giant leap to codeine and for the time being at least still rely on nurofen. ...

Not the best approach to have taken, I’m afraid to say Chris. There have been a number of studies showing that when the appropriately prescribed opiate (in this case codeine) is taken as soon as significant pain is felt the end result is not only the amelioration of the current pain but also less pain overall and less medication usage overall. Which is why most post-op analgesia regimens allow for “as needed“ opiate administration (within reason). As for becoming addicted to codeine when used “as needed” on a very short term basis, this is highly unlikely. I can certainly speak from experience: having bilateral knee protheses installed at the same time is somewhat more painful than a bruised or cracked rib. Although I received fentanyl during and immediately after the operation, morphine for pain control in the hospital and then tramadol for pain control in rehab and when back at home, I had no urge to continue with opioid analgesia once pain could be adequately managed by diclofenac (a NSAID). In fact, I still have some tramadol leftover which has been sitting around untouched for years (I suppose I better take it to the pharmacy for proper disposal). But, to be fair, I do not have an “addictive personality”. 

I am currently baking some individual custard tarts using ready prepared pastry shells plus a custard filling made according to the recipe from Felicity Cloake who does an intriguing column in the Guardian entitled “How to make the perfect...” In this column Miss Cloake tries out different recipes for a particular dish and then comes up with a fusion recipe which, according to her column, marries the best aspects of all the recipes to get “The perfect....“. Some of her recipes, although followed faithfully, have turned out to be flops (possibly due to the fact that I couldn't get here exactly the same ingredients for some items in the recipe), whilst others have turned out to be quite good.

(a little later...) I have just removed the individual custard tarts from the oven and everything looks rather good (apparently the secret is to use egg yolks for colour and flavour whilst using whole eggs to provide firmness and structural integrity [due to the egg whites in the whole eggs]). Clearly, this marriage of the commercially available and the home-made will never get me a slot on the Great British Bake Off, but it does allow me to up the professional quality of what I bake. (Happy Hippo please take note, I will be entering a phase of multiple cake baking over the next week or two).

Finally, a little light modelling awaits this morning-I have to give another thin coat of GWR Brown to the GWR “monster” that I am finishing off. This afternoon Mrs ID will be off to visit friends and so I can plug in my new amp and crank it up to 11. Much bad, but enjoyable and loud, guitar playing is anticipated.

Have a splendid Sunday

iD

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

The prime suspect is a small panel on the wall in the lounge near the ceiling.  I will gave fun.

From that I assume the offender will be interviewed under caution and then have an unfortunate fall down the stairs on his way to the cells.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

51 minutes ago, chrisf said:

...Flavio - I know you meant what you said kindly but I'm afraid that I read it as a lecture rather than the advice which no doubt you intended.....
....the painkillers at my disposal - which amounted to nurofen or nurofen, as it happens.  As it happens, I need to call at the pharmacy tomorrow....

Oops! I do tend to get on my soapbox on occasion :sorry:,although you are quite right it was well meant advice.

The latter part of your post quite astounded me: are you saying that they discharged you, after examination and evaluation, without the necessary medication? If so, that seems awfully sloppy practice.

John (DMJ), I liked your t-shirt, although apart from one or two dog club t-shirts and two Pink Floyd at the V&A Exhibition souvenirs, my t-shirts are boringly plain. Having said that, I have seen a number of them with (for me) amusing slogans and/or images. The infamous “Adolf Hitler World Tour” being one of them, along with a number of others like  “Zombies Eat Brains…. Don’t Worry, You’re Safe”, “I had my patience tested: I’m negative” or a particular favourite of mine “Leave me alone: I’m only speaking to my dog today!” Sartorially I am quite boring, still liking crisp white shirts, a properly knotted silk tie and a suitable jacket and a pair of razor sharp crease trousers (not forgetting the shined leather shoes), although I have been known to dress somewhat more informally with either smart jeans and a polo shirt or dockers/chinos and a casual button down shirt. Sometimes I wish that I had the panache (and the wherewithal) to dress in Edwardian Gentleman's clothing. Which in my view is the absolute peak of gentlemanly elegance.

Anyway off to slosh some paint around...

Cheers

iD

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Oops! I do tend to get on my soapbox on occasion :sorry:,although you are quite right it was well meant advice.

The latter part of your post quite astounded me: are you saying that they discharged you, after examination and evaluation, without the necessary medication? If so, that seems awfully sloppy practice.

I was given two codeine tablets and a glass of water while I was there.  I was also asked more than once whether I was allergic to any medication.  Come to think of it, perhaps I should have been issued with a prescription.  Sloppy practice indeed.

Chris

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12

13 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Perhaps you could get two dogs so they may keep each other company if you are out of the house? Or is that too much?

Ideally I will have two - there are so many dogs who are being rehomed in pairs and they stick as it may be too much responsibility for some.

It's what I'll be looking for when I decide to adopt, two older dogs, ideally collie or collie cross.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7