The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

For those that Don't know Belguim Shepherds ( Chien de Berger Belge) come in four colours / hair lengths, they are recognised as separate breeds, the below is ripped off The Kennel Club to save me typing.

Groenendael: black and long coat;

Tervueren: long coated and seen in red, fawn or grey, often with a black mask and overlay;

Malinois: with a dense, short coat and with the same colourings as the Tervueren;

Laekenois: a harsh wiry coat, red/fawn with some black shadings.

Are they the Belgian dogs they use for life rescue in water? My wife goes on about these rescue dogs but I never know what they are.

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I don't know for certain but they would be perfectly trainable to do so,

More commonly something like the Newfoundland would be used for water rescue.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

6 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I don't know for certain but they would be perfectly trainable to do so,

More commonly something like the Newfoundland would be used for water rescue.

Yes, she has just confirmed that.  I understood them to be a different breed more like a St Bernard.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Heavy rain last night but bright and sunny at the moment. The usual bin wagons dawn chorus with the lesser spotted glass and bottle wagon this morning. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 81C said:

Not sure of what I'm doing today as I can't stray from a loo at the moment.

Had a nice dinner at the daughters last night

I'd be considering a connection there!!

3 hours ago, 81C said:

the new dog she is getting Sunday 8 weeks old and built like a brick outhouse

Manolios (Belgium Sheppard) he's a lovely brindle colour looks like I could be minding

him for a while.

We preferred to use Malinois in the Army over GSD which are getting more prone to hip dysplasia. 

Malinois are very intelligent dogs, but need lots and lots and lots of work to train them...........  Not because they don't learn, but unless you keep them working, they tend to get bored.  They also need to know who's the boss.  Do not get lower than them in the pack order.

Look forward to lots of long walks!

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Back again, I'd pretty well had my mind set on moving to Alton after 3 weeks of searching for a flat I could not find anything in Farnborough that was nice and 

a decent size I struck lucky today and found something the building Itself is not very old either nice and clean and the grounds well maintained + there is a large 

lounge where you can entertain the family and somewhere to park the Zimmer frame. :D

• Like 19

MrsID's parents had a mongrel that looked a bit like a small Alsatian. When people asked FiL what kind of dog it was his dead-pan reply was,

"Oh, he's a Miniature Abyssinian Shepherd."

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

A bit of an era coming to an end as another oil rig from the iconic Brent oil field is removed, I briefly worked on Bravo, Charlie and visited the spa, what happened to all that wealth that seems to have been squandered?( The country seems to have wasted a fair bit too lol)

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

A bit of an era coming to an end as another oil rig from the iconic Brent oil field is removed, I briefly worked on Bravo, Charlie and visited the spa, what happened to all that wealth that seems to have been squandered?( The country seems to have wasted a fair bit too lol)

Good question that not a single politician will answer honestly! When you compare the Norwegian Sovereign Wealth Fund created from proceeds resulting from oil and gas extraction from their sector of the North Sea and how that benefits the citizens of Norway, it is even more embarrassing for the UK. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 10

Every ten years its time to renew our passports with varying methods over the years.  Nowadays its comparatively simple, all done via computer and the internet.  After the initial application on HMGs website, a response is sent to be filled in accompanied by those horrible PP pictures and  not a few Pounds.  A few days elapsed and you get an EM saying all is well and would be mailed soon.  Sure enough, all arrived promptly via DHL from LHR to BFI and arrived just as advertised at our front door.  The service  certainly was amazing in this day and age.

The most interesting thing though was that it was a UK PP and not the EU version.  Somebody must know something the politicians don't!:scratchhead:

Brian.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Brian, they were preordered before dates were changed. The passports are made in France...talk about shooting foot yourselves in the

Yippeeeedddooooo! A match umpired with...no rain interruptions!!!

Baz

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

MrsID's parents had a mongrel that looked a bit like a small Alsatian. When people asked FiL what kind of dog it was his dead-pan reply was,

"Oh, he's a Miniature Abyssinian Shepherd."

Someone at a dog show insisted my Robbie was a miniature Munsterlander. He did get a lot of “what is he?”  Peter Purves (from the telly!) did correctly identify him as  a working cocker when Matthew for a laugh entered Robbie for a frisbee catching contest. 

• Like 16

3 hours ago, AndyID said:

It's cold! I think I'll have to put some heating on. 8C here last night.

Is it raining? What does the view from your deck look like today?

It has been blissfully pleasant in the Willamette valley (highs in low 20s°C, lows around 10°C) this week with morning clouds, and afternoon sun. I am not there right now but there was a threat of showers this morning. We need it. We are dreadfully short of rain this June and are headed for our 3rd driest recorded June. (Incidentally, the TV meteorologist went looking for any precipitation across the northwest a couple of nights ago. They only place was the Idaho panhandle.)

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 11