The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all 

As a geologist by training and education I am taking a significant interest in matters beneath the North American continent currently. It is not an area we were taught about other than in general terms - there simply isn’t scope for that within a first degree course concentrating on British geology. 

Chris f’s comments on koalas also interest me. They have been in decline since whitefella landed in Australia and possibly from much earlier but we have no records. They require a very specific diet of a particular species of eucalypt.  They have been hunted and relocated to their great detriment. Their homes and food source have been subject to the natural bushfires which eucalypts need to regenerate. Allegorically those fires are now more frequent and more devastating than they once were but again we have no records going back more than 200 years or so.  

The fires of last (Australian) summer have been especially destructive. They have claimed the lives of an estimated one billion animals including a very large number of koalas. Those which remain are now thought to be in remnant populations and widely scattered single animals. The eucalypt forests will recover. Maybe not in time to sustain a koala recovery - we don’t know. But the decimation of their populations may mean they no longer breed at a rate able to sustain the species. The endgame of which is extinction. 

It is thought those same fires have been responsible for the extinction of several species of plants and animals. Not as widely known nor with the cuteness factor of koalas but some bandicoots and native birds already confined to very restricted areas which have been totally burned out are thought to be no longer with us. 

In brighter news the sun is out, the day is slowly warming up and it is the weekend - though that last point may be lost on some of us currently!  

All the best. Stay well. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

there could be herds of wildebeest wandering along the A13.

Ah. Canning Town and Plaistow’s finest at large :jester:  

• Funny 18

41 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Morning all.

Sunny here, the earlier mist has cleared.

Seems quiet out today. Though for all I know  there could be herds of wildebeest wandering along the A13.

Tony

Maybe not wildebeest, but I loved the bit on the news last night where the wild goats on the Great Orme at Llandudno are taking advantage of the quieter streets in the town, and have come down to feast on people’s gardens and generally roam the town.

We should have been in York today for a family weekend with our sons and their partners.  We have decided to at least meet up online tomorrow, so there will be a three way game of Trivial Pursuit on FaceTime.

I had expected it to be warmer outside today, but have just come back in after the first bout of gardening for the day.  It was pretty cold, especially in the wind.  I will maybe try again later and see if it is any warmer.

• Like 19

In these interesting times, 'toys' and clothes are still considered as essential supplies by the Government.

4 hours ago, chrisf said:

Apart from Folk By The Oak in July, there is now nothing left in my diary to be cancelled.

Except 2020!

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Morning All,

Hoover and Sellotape being, perhaps, the best known examples.

I understand that "Sellotape" may have a different following in the Antipodes!

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

John: regarding your infrequent and quite possibly random usage of your car, have you considered buying into one of those car sharing schemes?

The reason for my infrequent car use is that I live about 4 miles (6.4km) from work. It is more harmful to the car to use it for that distance and as it's the next stop by train, I prefer to spend the monthly fuel cost on a season ticket. The main use for the car is to venues not easily reached by train / bus, such as my GP surgery. That said, with the current situation, the car (new battery recently fitted) is in serious danger of passing the 45000 mile mark as she heads towards her 13th birthday!

2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Good morning form a misty one here in the  South East.

Just been listneing to the news of reports that Police have been questioning why people have bene buying Easter eggs - I hope this isnt going to be the new normal so that we have to sneak certain goods out of shops.

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I am not planning to buy any Easter eggs. But if Plod were to stop me with one in my shopping bag, I would answer that question with "Because it's Easter. Go and do some proper police work".

Carry a 3 metre tape measure with you at all times. If plod stops you, measure the distance between you and it, take their details and report for any violation. After all, there are usually 2 in a car which, in itself, violates the separation guidelines. Whilst trying to 'enforce' the laws, they are often the biggest violators.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 10

7 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

I understand that "Sellotape" may have a different following in the Antipodes!

I think you have that backwards. 'Durex' is the generic term for adhesive tape (i.e. 'Sellotape') in Australia.

It's also the name of a brand of antifreeze in the US: https://north40.com/durex-extended-life-50-50-antifreeze-and-coolant

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 11

6 minutes ago, pH said:

I think you have that backwards. 'Durex' is the generic term for adhesive tape (i.e. 'Sellotape') in Australia.

It's also the name of a brand of antifreeze in the US: https://north40.com/durex-extended-life-50-50-antifreeze-and-coolant

I always used to chuckle watching the rugby a while back, one of the French players was named Condom...………….good player he was too.

• Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

The much reported behaviour of the banks is utterly disgusting and simply shows what a bunch of A.R.soles are in charge of them - more for the firing squad along with the incompetent leadership of PHE.

Now to Easter Eggs and isn't it fascinating how a simple matter can run so far away from the truth.  There is no ban on selling Easter Eggs and at least one supermarket is pushing them hard in tv ads.  But what happened was that some dumbo having been repeatedly told by numerous radio and tv messages and ads that he should only go out shopping for essentials such as food and medicine was fallen upon by a couple of rozzers for going out to buy nothing but two Easter Eggs which he was carrying in his hands because he had no shopping bags.  This then turns into a tale of 'you can't buy Easter Eggs' which in places in the 'popular press' has become equated with looting or knocking over old ladies to steal their hard fought for toilet rolls.  If you are shopping in a supermarket, or even a not so super market,  there is nothing to prevent you from adding Easter Eggs to your trolley.  In fact judging by the display in our local Tesco last Monday I have a pretty good idea they won't even limit you to two or three along with your essential shopping.

The buriers of pink cables are now busily doing the opposite side of the road and proceeding with their customary speed and efficiency.  and the sun is shining

Have a good day one and all and stay safe, especially GDB.

And Baz I do hope that it isn't housemaids knee because that is not nice - a really big 'orrible swelling.  So do not kneel down because that is the root cause of it leading to inflammation of the knee - my dad developed it when he had his first broken heel and he cut the (quite large)  back lawn with a pair of garden shears kneeling to do it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, pH said:

That probably accounts for advertising slogan sometimes in the last  century:

'Buy Durex. the small family car!'

• Agree 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold

I had a text yesterday from Gov.uk inviting me to fill in the online register for vulnerable people. I did so but declined the offers of support. This text was from the same number as the one that sent the message to mobile phones a couple of weeks (?) ago rather the NHS vulnerable support service. I assume they have matched the lists.

As for supermarkets. Waitrose are hoping to find extra slots for existing customers that they know are over 70 and will use Government lists for other vulnerable people (source, Waitrose reply to my query on Twitter). Friends who are over 70 and had a Sainsbury account had a priority delivery slot issued.

It seems being an existing account holder helps.  

• Like 10
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Morning all.

Sunny here, the earlier mist has cleared.

Seems quiet out today. Though for all I know  there could be herds of wildebeest wandering along the A13.

Tony

Not that far away, deer are invading some parts of Romford. They come from Bedfords Park which is confined to the north and east by the M25.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

Well it was when I started to write this. A bit dull here in the northwest of England, but despite getting up late, I've already cleaned the skylight windows in the dining room and given the cellar door a second topcoat of paint. This will now be left for a couple of days, before I turn it over and start on the other side. I'm now off to spend a bit of time in the garden. 

Stay safe, back later 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning All 

Very misty at 6am slowly burning off to a sunny outlook.

I see Doris has invited to other lot in for tea next week. 

There is a very funny video on Facebook, Donald being pick up out of a chair and throw through a window on the top floor of a sky scraper 

by two big burly chaps.:jester:

At least I'm not the only one being told by these self righteous #eckwits about getting food delivered, Mrs Nosey neighbour scowled at me yesterday evening

when I went out to the car to put the shopping bags back in the boot she has clearly p!ssed most of the other neighbours off everyone in the garden sat

well away from her at " Wine Time"  or in her case whine time.

I hope you do get out in the air/garden,  stay safe  :superman: O. Zone :biggrin_mini2:

Edited by 81C
  • Like 18
  • Funny 1

Back again!

This morning I spent the time cleaning my share of the house, which translates into all three bathrooms and the kitchen. It may be a bit superfluous to say, but when I am done Mrs iD does a white glove inspection!

Perhaps I am either optimistic or naive, but I am hoping that they change the law-sooner or later-so that the people at the very top are actually held personally accountable for the decisions they make for the big company they are running. After all, if they are being personally paid obscene amounts of money for “taking the important decisions”,  they should also be personally held responsible for when things go t*ts up. After all, it wasn’t that long ago that people at the top actually took responsibility for their actions or the actions taken on behalf of them by their employees lower down the food chain. Now it’s all weasel words and - gods forbid - should they actually be held to account, then some poor bu99er halfway down the corporate hierarchy will get “thrown under the bus”. 

And whilst, peripherally, on the topic of those at top being paid obscene money, the standard excuse is “it’s the market rate” or “we have to, to get the best”. But do we really? Returning to Mr Shakespeare’s wise and insightful view of mankind, in Julius Caesar, Caesar is warned to beware Cassius as he has “a lean and hungry look” For every overpaid CEO there are many competent “lean and hungry” underlings who could do just a good a job (if not better) for less. We should perhaps encourage them?

On a tangent, the NHS is currently woefully undersupplied with masks, gloves and other PPE for staff (not to mention the almost complete absence of testing for the front line staff). Given how the top levels of PHE are covering themselves with glory, I really, really, wonder how much of the essential equipment and tests are being siphoned off to the upper - non patient contact - NHS echelons? (Or am I being just a teeny, tiny, bit cynical here?)

I hope that one of the positives to emerge from this crisis is cross-party Crown Commission to revisit the role, purpose and structure of the NHS. A commission that is, furthermore, not beholden to the ideologues of the left and the right.

I’m not holding my breath.

Stay safe, stay healthy, stay sane!

iD

• Like 13
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl, 

Nuts wound up tight, that is,  all the Keel bolts are in place.  The two short length bolts have been bonded into the nose of the keel. 

When I've finished this and a Muggacoffee,  I need to place the keel upright,  back off the top nuts and feed some liquid resin in the top to seal the holes stopping water running down the threads.  Tomorrow turn it over and do the other side. 

A start has been made on Scarinish war memorial,  

It's perfect doggy walking weather,  warm sunshine  and a slightly cool breeze.  So Ben the sleeping collie took me for the full long walk.  Part way round one of the farmers was unloading cattle from his trailer onto the marshes.  He's just gone past with some more.. 

As we approached home I noticed a couple with children  parking their car hidden behind a wall on the sugar beet pan. I suspect they've illegally come out for a walk in the countryside... 

Muggacoffee consumed,  time for black mamba gloves and a nasty chemical or two.. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
On 03/04/2020 at 11:20, Andrew P said:

The first snack my NOW Wife ever did for me was Macaroni Cheese. I'd been out and as I walked in the door I nearly threw up.:blush:

It went in the bin.

But I love Macaroni, and I love Cheese, work that one out.:no:

Cannot put a button on this but macaroni cheese does the same for me, as does anything that includes pasta and to a lesser extent cooked cheese.  SWMBO added coffee to a cake mix recently - not her best cake since other items were unavailable but as a result of eating it we found out another reason why I need to stay clear of coffee -  I can still 'make' instant coffee at a distance but it and certainly the cup  dregs have to stay at a distance.

Custard - like others I do not like the skin and in reality cannot 'digest' skin of things like apples etc or rind so give me meat and two veg anytime (provided they are the right veg).  Abroad food has been problem and I generally lose a lot of weight.

Trying to catch up after just over a day without and have noticed that some of the symbols have not registered on previous.  Keep well keep safe.

Just picked this up from the IBMS@

"There is a huge gap between testing equipment capacity and material availability...

Currently, England could process up to 25,000 a day which by May could rise to 100,000, meeting the ambitious target set down by Matt Hancock, all within the NHS. However, there is a material supply issue with a worldwide shortage in reagent kits. The supply of precision plastics that are used with the reagents are not due to be ready until mid-May. This is affecting countries across the world and there is nothing more the workforce can do to increase testing capacity any further. We would urge caution as testing is ramped up to ensure that the supply chain is secured. There is a very real risk that hospitals and pathology networks will run out of reagents and patients will not be able to be tested. This will not only impact upon their care but can lead to hospitals unable to manage all patients safely - as has been seen in other countries."

Also noticed that unfortunately unscrupulous people have been advertising 'cures' tests' 'etc and fraud have closed down a number of sites.

Edited by PeterBB
Additional information located
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18