New B17

B17 from the GE section did get as far as Sheffield and York, not that far from Leeds.

Roger

Also Manchester Central on the Harwich Boat Trains via Sheffield and pre WW2 into London Road (Piccadilly) on the MaryleboneTrains. They were also repaired at Gorton works.

B17 from the GE section did get as far as Sheffield and York, not that far from Leeds.

There were also the 'Manchester' jobs with locos from Gorton. They also worked locals out of Guide Bridge. I haven't read too far but these pre-war jobs might have finished when war broek out in 1939. Nevertheless, as Woodhead trains were diverted over the LNWR Standedge line in the early 1950s during preperation fr electrification, therebye lies a slim excuse for running a B17 via Diggle...!

• RMweb Premium

The Manchester job never restarted after the war, but for a while in 1949/50 Gorton had responsibility for class repairs, so they would no doubt have been seen getting to and from there, and presumably on running in turns. After general overhauls went back to Doncaster, they would certainly have been run in from there as well, and as Leeds turns were used for that purpose, why should they not have been seen there also? I admit that I've never seen any evidence, written or photographic to prove it, but perhaps it was so commonplace that no-one bothered to record it?

Got to say Hornby, that's one of the lousiest ways to get the information through to your customerbase.

The delay to the much wanted B17 absolutely astounds. Short of damaging the tooling, what on earth is holding them back from releasing this model?

Odd way to do business.

• RMweb Gold

Got to say Hornby, that's one of the lousiest ways to get the information through to your customerbase.

The delay to the much wanted B17 absolutely astounds. Short of damaging the tooling, what on earth is holding them back from releasing this model?

Odd way to do business.

It really does sound extremely odd. Do they have some sort of tooling or manufacturing problem or is it a cash-flow thing and they're holding it until June to avoid the year end 'too much too soon' sort of rush which might have depleted sales?

It really does sound extremely odd. Do they have some sort of tooling or manufacturing problem or is it a cash-flow thing and they're holding it until June to avoid the year end 'too much too soon' sort of rush which might have depleted sales?

I guess it is production slot problems, and they want to concentrate on the B1. Fine by me as I want one and am not too bothered about a B17.

Roger.

Thing is Roger, a good number of modellers here seek to have factored in a B17 to their plans since 2010.

To miss it's original proposed date - Q4 2010, then May, June, August and October releases in 2011, to then be delayed until 2012, seems mad when you have so many potential sales, and this is just a sample of the potential sales.

Disappointed that - yet again - no statement, no apologies forthcoming, no communication at all really.

DapolDave, I know you have the Cadwork for that lovely N gauge model - at the rate Hornby are going, you could do yours in OO in the shops before them...!

I'm not sure yet if I mean the above in jest or seriously...

You would have thought that the B1 could be delayed till June and bring out the B17 for Christmas-new Year. But I think they want to get the B1 out before Bachmann or at least compete for the cash rather than miss out on a lot of sales.

I will just have to be patient for another 6months for the 2x B17's and wait for the discounts to happen on the B1.

The D49 is welcomed and I have the gresley suburbans and a Bachmann 3F early crest coming so will spread the finances out a little.

Mark

Taken from today's (Friday 9th December) MRE.

Following the Hornby 2012 range press day, Pat Hammond reports the following news from Hornby......

Hornby no longer depends on just one company producing its new models. Tornado and Dart, for example, were both developed by a different company.

When dealing with new vendors, you take a risk as to whether or not the new company can deliver the quality you require. The B17 has been a victim of this and Hornby assure us that they will not release a model until it achieves the high standards they now set, even if it means delaying its release

Taken from today's (Friday 9th December) MRE.

Following the Hornby 2012 range press day, Pat Hammond reports the following news from Hornby......

Which I hope I'm not alone in finding particularly praiseworthy, given the extended gestation of the Beatties and class 22, which have resulted in outstanding models.

Cheers, Peter C.

Which I hope I'm not alone in finding particularly praiseworthy, given the extended gestation of the Beatties and class 22, which have resulted in outstanding models.

Cheers, Peter C.

I'm not sure about that Peter. What about the poor retailers with pre-orders? What have they had to tell their customers for the last year? Far from it being praiseworthy, I'm finding myself drawn to being disappointed with the level of communication again. A simple "we're still working on it, we'll announce a date for release closer to the time" could have solved and prevented an awful lot of speculation and gnashing of teeth.

Dapol's extended gestation period was always quantified on here, and to an extent, the model railway press, with statements explaining for the reasons for the delay. Indeed, much of that delay has been down to a lot of the significant contribution of RMwebbers towards the final product in some cases!

I have to say that whilst it's not going to affect me particularly, whenever it comes out, you have to feel for the boxshifters and smaller shops who probably know this is a will-sell model and have had nothing to drawn on to relate to their customers.

Not particularly good communication from Hornby, at all.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure about that Peter. What about the poor retailers with pre-orders? What have they had to tell their customers for the last year? Far from it being praiseworthy, I'm finding myself drawn to being disappointed with the level of communication again. A simple "we're still working on it, we'll announce a date for release closer to the time" could have solved and prevented an awful lot of speculation and gnashing of teeth.

Dapol's extended gestation period was always quantified on here, and to an extent, the model railway press, with statements explaining for the reasons for the delay. Indeed, much of that delay has been down to a lot of the significant contribution of RMwebbers towards the final product in some cases!

I have to say that whilst it's not going to affect me particularly, whenever it comes out, you have to feel for the boxshifters and smaller shops who probably know this is a will-sell model and have had nothing to drawn on to relate to their customers.

Not particularly good communication from Hornby,

Please bear in mind that Dapol is a small company run by an enthusiastic,dedicated,hands-on chap who is,in every sense of the word,one of us.Praise be for that! Hornby,like it or not,is a global concern with a diversity of products and suppliers ,trying to keep profitable in a global economy.I do not think it is appropriate to compare the response of the two companies--a minnow and big fish,if you like. We are where we are.I sympathise with your stance on the matter and have followed your recent correspondance with Margate with admiration and keen interest .You have done our fraternity a great service. We live almost entirely with distant ,off-shore manufacturing. Keen pricing has,up to now ,reflected this.The down side of this is the situation you are commenting on. I'm afraid it is unrealistic to expect any UK company to keep a hands-on,24/7 watch on events the other side of the globe. Regards,Ian

Whilst I think you are right insomuch that it's perhaps unfair to compare Dapol and Hornby, how difficult is it really when you have a model you know isn't going to make its target dates, to simply fire off an email to one or more of the model mags or even one of the online concerns, in this day and age? It may be difficult to keep a hands on, 24/7 watch on their production line on the other side of the globe, but surely even then they will have communication day by day, week to week, in some form?

I don't like the adage that "being big equals no communication" and would have thought someone in Hornby is employed to make press releases...?

But may I say thank you for your support RE my correspondence.

• RMweb Gold

Quite right.Hornby senior management are not blameless in the matter and I have to say that some sections of the modelling press could do a lot more to be constructive on the issues that you have raised. Best wishes with your singular pressure group. Who knows,something may get through and then we'll no longer get press releases about forthcoming production which are based on fantasy rather than reality.. Regards,Ian.

Guest Max Stafford

I have to say this though Ian. Dapol may be a minnow, but with their new releases (I have the Sentinel, NBL and 10000) they are making a splash out of all proportion to their size!

I appreciate the point that you're making about the relative size of the two companies but there can be little doubt that Hornby will generate a great deal of goodwill if they pay a little more attention to communication with their customers in future. By that, I mean an honest and open appraisal of a product's development progress. If there are problems, just say so. Most of us are grown up and well-adjusted individuals, we can take it if a product's running late.

I suppose the big public companies don't really go for two-way traffic in this respect as they're primarily dancing to the shareholders' tune but I can't help thinking it would increase their kudos within the modelling community if this is of any significance to the suits.

Dave.

I don't like the adage that "being big equals no communication" and would have thought someone in Hornby is employed to make press releases...?

Well I think they do paid a PR chap to "front" the company and provide a buffer from link with their customers?

He's often seen talking to customers and the public at events where Hornby have a presence.

• RMweb Gold

I have to say this though Ian. Dapol may be a minnow, but with their new releases (I have the Sentinel, NBL and 10000) they are making a splash out of all proportion to their size!

I appreciate the point that you're making about the relative size of the two companies but there can be little doubt that Hornby will generate a great deal of goodwill if they pay a little more attention to communication with their customers in future. By that, I mean an honest and open appraisal of a product's development progress. If there are problems, just say so. Most of us are grown up and well-adjusted individuals, we can take it if a product's running late.

I suppose the big public companies don't really go for two-way traffic in this respect as they're primarily dancing to the shareholders' tune but I can't help thinking it would increase their kudos within the modelling community if this is of any significance to the suits.

Dave.

Totally agreed,Dave.It's a case of too many fingers in too many pies and none of them seem to know what the other guys are doing.Hornby seem to be staggering from one PR disaster to the next. A company that has expanded too rapidly ? Perhaps.A gaffe by their CEO/MD a couple of months ago seems to be symbolic of the problem or even of a company that's losing its direction. We can be forgiven for coming to the conclusion that they're no longer interested in our niche in their scheme of things.A great tragedy because the can and do produce quality even though they throw up too many flaws on all-too regular a basis..Take a deep, breath-and this with tongue-in-cheek,time for selling-on Hornby Railways or a management buy-out. I did say tongue-in-cheek.

Archived