New B17

• RMweb Premium

They're the front guard irons Stewart; I suspect are intended to be mounted to the vertical projections on the rear of the front buffer beam, just inboard of the buffers.

In reality they duplicated the bogie-mounted guard irons and were removed from 1951 onwards as being unnecessary - other LNER classes including A3s were also built with these frame mounted guard irons but lost them in later life.

I didn't fit them to mine as my layout is set later than that, the picture of the real 61637 on the box doesn't show them, and I thought they had the potential to conflict with the bogie wheels on curves.

I'm going to use the spare brake pipes on my Westinghouse-fitted L1 when I get around to it!

They're the front guard irons Stewart; I suspect are intended to be mounted to the vertical projections on the rear of the front buffer beam, just inboard of the buffers.

In reality they duplicated the bogie-mounted guard irons and were removed from 1951 onwards as being unnecessary - other LNER classes including A3s were also built with these frame mounted guard irons but lost them in later life.

I didn't fit them to mine as my layout is set later than that, the picture of the real 61637 on the box doesn't show them, and I thought they had the potential to conflict with the bogie wheels on curves.

I'm going to use the spare brake pipes on my Westinghouse-fitted L1 when I get around to it!

Thanks for clearing that up. I shan't be using them. I somehow thought that they fitted under the back of the cab roof as stiffeners!

Stewart

Oi oi oi! I resemble that remark! :P

Yes, Hornby Magazine are doing one - Graham Muz showed a pre-prod photo earlier on in the thread.

Thought I saw it somewhere, must get onto that as Manchester United has a huge presence in my family, although not a supporter myself!

• RMweb Premium

Sandringham arrived for me yesterday, looks fantastic but has a strange issue on one side with the return crank, eccentric rod and link. Instead of being a circular, back and forth, it juts out to the side and judders. I'm afraid to run it any more in this state for fear of damaging it further - should I return it to the shop for a replacement? I don't trust my self to be able to fix it!

It's tricky to explain so I have uploaded a video to show what is happening:

• RMweb Gold

A common problem with Hornby locos,I'm afraid. It has happened to me with a Bulleid spamcan,an A3, a Clan and latterly a 28xx. Always check the valve gear alignment visually when removing from the box. Alternatively,buy mail order from Hereford Model Centre who check and test before dispatch and put a little slip in to say by whom. Any way,my sympathy and I hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction, It is a beautiful model.

Easy repair if you use  the correct tools.

A10 B.A Nut Spinner will loosed the crank screw it has probably slipped out of the slot when assembled.Simply re engage in slot and tighten. Easiest way to get correct postion is to have the crank dead centre at the bottomof the wheel, crank then sits to the left in the slot on the crankpin for tightening up.

The top motion bracket appears to be bent outwards, grip gently with smooth edge pliers and gentle tweek inwards this should be enough.Its all metal so there is strength in the joint.

Just finalising my two models for my stockist. 61679 Charlton Athletic (fictional) and 61665 Leicester City (real).

I'm delighted to find a rather nice combination of name, number, form and livery for the latter. In 1949, after conversion to B17/6, 61665 carried the BR dark green with orange/black lining (what would become standard for express passenger locomotives thereafter) but with "British Railways" in full, and in cream on the tender, rather than the cycling lion or the crest.

That has made my mind up as to what Grimsby Town, when it arrives, will become! Further bonus is that this model doesn't have a westinghouse pump to remove, so it has saved me a job and then some.

• RMweb Gold

Just finished breakfast and back in bed with a cup of tea to catch up on some magazine reading when the doorbell went and there was the postie requiring a signature for this:

post-586-0-44482400-1359536174.jpg

Am not a football fan (although I have heard of Manchester United - think they are in a different league to Folkestone Invicta.....) but do like the B17....

Keith

Love the model. Not sure about Hornbys weathering myself. Each to their own though. I find the more I try weathering and frustrate myself with my own inadequacies, the more picky I get about colours and depth of weathering. Never satisfied would probably be a good description!

The B17 certainly does come alive though with that weathering in some respects: the grot brings out the bulk of the driving wheels and boiler nicely.

Quote "Never satisfied would probably be a good description!" Quote.

Simon,I find this a strange remark coming from you.  I mean after following Charlton for so long I would have thought the opposite might have applied. :jester:  :jester:

Remember :- Theres only one Arry Rednapp, one Arry Rednapp ! :superman:  :superman:  :superman: :superman: :superman:.

Just finished breakfast and back in bed with a cup of tea to catch up on some magazine reading

Keith

Only buy it for the articles, (nudge, nudge, wink, wink), :no:  :no:

sorry, couldn't resist,

Peter C.

Quote "Never satisfied would probably be a good description!" Quote.

Simon,I find this a strange remark coming from you.  I mean after following Charlton for so long I would have thought the opposite might have applied. :jester:  :jester:

Oh, with Charlton, it's a case of the old schoolmaster's report: "exceeds expectations"...!  :jester:

Except last Saturday...  :butcher:

Remember :- Theres only one Arry Rednapp, one Arry Rednapp ! :superman:  :superman:  :superman: :superman: :superman:.

I honestly think he's going to get them out of trouble. I can see Villa, Norwich, and Newcastle in freefall, but that's by the by...

Just got in to find Grimsby Town has arrived (but no nameplates or transfers yet from my usual sources), so will will wait for that before modifying in any way. I've found a terrific colour picture of Leicester City, albeit with the cycling lion, in 1953 so am going to try and aim for a reasonably similar amount of weathering.

Nothing to do with Football honest,its just about Charlton Athletic. :jester:

:laugh: Very good!

We'd best desist! On a slightly different note, has anyone had a go at running their B17s with the full detail attached yet? I've a few of the Hornby curves knocking about and my apple green one just about manages 4th radius with all of the bits. I foresee some problems with anything approaching 3rd radius though.

Archived