Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Hello Ron,

love the work that you've done, on the web strips did you cut them to the curve or did you cut them straight and then bend them?

OzzyO.

Hi, Ozzy

Thanks - The strips were cut straight, and curved using the usual finger and thumb method - slightly over curvature, leaving for an hour or two to releive any stresses, then fixing in position

If the curvature was extreme (for say arched or circular windows, etc.), then I would relieve the stresses by plunging in boiling water for a minute, then plunging in cold water for about five minutes

Cheers

Ron

Still have 198 Transverse Tie Beams to build - although the template is OK, an increase in build tempo and accuracy is called for - a jig is the answer, at least for the initial stage

post-10633-0-64963200-1315320237_thumb.jpg

Can now build accurately the basic structure in under 2 minutes - the rest of the beam construction falls into place easily and relatively quickly, as all the component parts are already pre-cut

... to be continued >>>>>

• RMweb Gold

What stuns me about this build is the sheer matter-of-factness about it all - draw a template, cut the plastic to size, stick them together into small units, then stick the small units together to make big units. It just seems so simple, and yet the whole magnitude of the project is breathtaking.

A train shed at 2200mm - that's 2.2 metres ! Mind-blowing !

What stuns me about this build is the sheer matter-of-factness about it all - draw a template, cut the plastic to size, stick them together into small units, then stick the small units together to make big units. It just seems so simple, and yet the whole magnitude of the project is breathtaking.

A train shed at 2200mm - that's 2.2 metres ! Mind-blowing !

Hi, Stu

If a job is worth doing and all that :sungum:

Was discussing with SWMBO about the method of moving the roof on its support base from my temporary modelling room down to the railway room (when it's ready) - the proposed support structure for the roof, etc. will be 2.4 metres long, 900mm wide and just under 500mm high with the roof in place

Can't get through the door and down the corridor - angle too tight - so it's through the window - fully open it's 1200mm wide x 1100mm high and the apartment shower room next to the railway room (no windows) is 1200mm x 1350mm

I think it's the reverse of building a boat in the basement :scratchhead:

Cheers

Ron

Guessing this one will definitely come under the title of "layouts that never leave home" !!!!!!!

(which will be a bit of a shame if honest)

Top work once more!

Nile

Hi Nile

Thanks again

It's such a structure top-heavy layout (no green scenic areas anywhere) that I couldn't even start to contemplate how it might be transportable (safely & securely to the UK and back) - the 'fiddle yards' will be completely separate layout boards at a different level to the main layout

Looks like it's going to be maybe magazine articles and DVDs, when it's completed - until then it's going to be a continuous thread on RMWeb, so stay tuned

There's always the chance of private viewings if you are ever over in Spain

Cheers

Ron

After producing a couple of dozen basic frames for the transverse tie beams - have decided to modify the jig to incorporate the splayed lower ends and end vertical ties

post-10633-0-74918800-1315394297_thumb.jpg

A stack of basic frames produced previously are on the left, and one of the frames produced on the modified jig is shown above the jig

.. and a picture of a few of the spans, etc. under construction -

post-10633-0-71764200-1315394647_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Ha Ha Ha Ron!!!

You mentioned transporting your precious cargo to the wrong person.... Ha Ha!

There are indeed a couple of firms that I use for transporting kit to and from mainland europe who would'nt bat an eyelid over moving your layout. However they would only convey it if it was suitably cased. That said I have the numbers of some guys over here who create some fantastic flight cases for our gear and I daresay would quite enjoy the challenge of creating something capable of shipping your creation worldwide.

There are however a number of down sides. the big one of course is cost. That said professionally made flight cases with custom jet cut, foam inserts, will last beyond the lifetime of your layout if looked after properly. The other drawback (and one that gets overlooked) is you have to have somewhere to store all those cases when they are not being used and judging by the size of your project you might possibly need to buy next door to do so.

However. Show trucks run with air ride suspension and drivers who tend to understand that there are, on most occasions. Things in the back of the truck that don't like to get bounced around. As said, with Jet cut foam. Very accurate shapes can be cut to create inserts for cases, so as to gently caress your hard won or highly valuable stuff.

Guess you would need to look at a major sponsor ship deal Ron. I can see it now..... The Pro Modelling exhibition circuit awaits. Milan, Madrid, Monaco........ Doncaster!

• RMweb Gold

There's always the chance of private viewings...in Spain

...ears immediately prick up... :yes:

That mock up is looking fantastic at present...

Edited by bcnPete

Ha Ha Ha Ron!!!

You mentioned transporting your precious cargo to the wrong person.... Ha Ha!

Hi, Nile

Sounds like a travelling pop band or F! racing transport would be required :sungum:

I was only trying to say that it's not being built with the intention of being transportable for exhibitions, etc. - I am sure that if exhibiting it in the UK was the intent the whole layout baseboard, wiring/control, etc. would have to be designed completely differently, and even the operation with three different layout boards on different levels not even directly connected would be a problem

Anyway, the offer of a private viewing is still there when the layout is complete

Cheers

Ron

...ears immediately prick up... :yes:

That mock up is looking fantastic at present...

Hi, Pete

Thanks

Just a slight break from plastic - It's woodworking from tomorrow and thro' the weekend

I have the train shed support structure to build, and the temporary high level shelf for it to be stored on - four garden archways 2.5m wide and 2.2m high, and a 6m long x 2.2m high extension to the Wisteria support frame

... all structural stuff in wood - not some much COSTA BLANCA more COSTA FORTUNE :sungum:

So the fixing of the roof spans,etc. to the support structure will commence early next week :clapping_mini:

Cheers

Ron

Hello Ron,

bit of a daft question for you.

It looks like that you use a plasticard jig for the beam supports etc. So how do you stop the supports from sticking to it when you apply the solvent.

OzzyO.

Hi, Ozzy

A small brush with just a spot of solvent to tack the parts together - then remove from the jig, and brush a little more solvent on the opposite sides of the joints - on small area joints I always apply a little finger pressure on the joint to ensure a good quick weld - good blow of air evaporates any unwanted over flow of solvent beyond the joint

The styrene/solvent will stick to almost anything, especially absorbent or media affected by solvents - on metal & glass a thin skin remains, so care is always required

Cheers

Ron

Hello Ron!

Yes.... Did appreciate that your intent was more of something a bit more for home pleasure..... Ha Ha! Although, as you say the model is represented across three unconnected boards. I think there would be enough of us who would agree that just means three lots of Ooooo's and Aaaaahhh's.

This afternoon while doing a quick jaunt down to see Lucy at Modellers Mecca, it did cross my mind that if we could get every member of the Forum to stump up a quid each. That would be enough to organise Transport, cases and accommodation and some change for a round of beers, in time for the next RMWeb day! So pull your finger out Ron!!!!!!!!....... Ha Ha Ha!

Cheers Nile.

P.S. Yes the Formula 1 boys certainly know how to move their kit around, especially the Formula 1 TV guys. I used to think my kit was pretty well thought out. Have done a few jobs for various GP's and how their stuff is co-ordinated is just streets ahead of what I do.

For those of you who cut a lot of styrene strip and at an angle, here is how I cut hundreds to length and at a consistent pre-set angle -

post-10633-0-18274600-1315422776_thumb.jpg

The styrene angle offcut is glued by a light brush of solvent to the aluminium back strip

The back stop is set to the length of the projected length

post-10633-0-74393100-1315423888.jpg

post-10633-0-83653900-1315424048_thumb.jpg

... and after 5 minutes over 75 pieces cut, ready to be fixed to the transverse tie beam frame as bracing pieces

• Like 2

All the wood for the temporary shelf / train shed roof support structure and all the garden features bought and stored in the workshop -

The shelf is built and the support structure is all but complete -so the garden structures may be completed tomorrow, and then I will start fixing the train shed roof to its support structure span by span

WIll post pictures of the construction (not the garden stuff) as it progresses >>>>>