Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Managed to get a few hours in this morning, after the mixed weather we have been having - temp over 40 deg C last Thursday, high winds and to cap it all, rain yesterday

The cladding is finally all fixed, with just the 'felting' to do - then complete all the glazing and walkways

attachicon.gifIMG_1011.JPG

View towards the concourse

attachicon.gifIMG_1012.JPG

Lower angled view

attachicon.gifIMG_1013.JPG

View towards gable transom

attachicon.gifIMG_1014.JPG

View over East side

attachicon.gifIMG_1015.JPG

View over West side - the foam baseboard has been removed temporarily to gain better access to the roof

The slight dip in the cladding at the apex needs re-setting

attachicon.gifIMG_1017.JPG

Partly completed station booking offices/waiting rooms - temporary placement - need concourse surface in place

Those photos are stunning Ron.

Colin

The shots from outside don't anywhere near show the magnificent modelling that the inside shots do.

A mini camera mounted inside, showing trains coming and going, and connected to a monitor, might be a worthwhile addition.

Hi, Stubby

Thanks, got this covered

- Posted this on 13th March -

Have managed to do some prep. work for the webcam installations within the train shed. Now have six suitable webcams dismantled to their bare board and lens assemblies and the two large hoardings over the concourse beneath the station clock and overlooking platforms 3/4 and 5/6 are suitable locations for two of the cameras to be hidden, and the vertical boarding over the top of the left luggage office at the end of platforms 1/2 would be an additional location for a third camera. Still checking suitable places for at least two more cameras at the opposite end of the train shed platforms high up in the gable end. The wiring could be run and hidden relatively easily at this early stage of roof detailing

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

Work on the walkways has reached a critical single length of just over 1 metre. Anything longer will be susceptible to handling damage during painting and fixing processes. Now need another 11 lengths building  :O

Assembly of the remaining roof glazing continues, with the glazing strips ready assembled and the glazing bar strips being fixed 

Mustn't mix the piles of black and white microstrips  :no:

• Like 8

'Felting' almost complete - just four short pieces to cut and fix

post-10633-0-34461600-1432319602_thumb.jpg

South West corner view

post-10633-0-67387200-1432319636_thumb.jpg

North West corner view

post-10633-0-44368700-1432319661_thumb.jpg

North east corner view

post-10633-0-03238700-1432319687_thumb.jpg

First section of walkway (355mm long - legs 6.5mm high) at South East corner 

post-10633-0-40365100-1432319715_thumb.jpg

One of the upper level walkway sections (1420mm long - legs 4mm high) - to be placed over the glazing 

post-10633-0-52466300-1432319749_thumb.jpg

Closer view of the external face of the station booking offices and waiting rooms

The lighting will be replaced by LEDs prior to final fixing - A further full length glazed canopy projects forward to cover the taxi way along the front of the station  

• Like 11

You can apply a lot of superlatives to this but the most exciting thing for me is watching a familiar scene from my childhood slowly coming back to life, and all through the skills and dedication of one man! You're a hero Mister Heggs! :fan:

Regards

Bill

• Like 2

You can apply a lot of superlatives to this but the most exciting thing for me is watching a familiar scene from my childhood slowly coming back to life, and all through the skills and dedication of one man! You're a hero Mister Heggs! :fan:

Regards

Bill

Hi, Bill

Thanks. Re-constructing memories of my first 40 years in Manchester is a real challenge, not least those which have not been captured in photographic form

... and it's Ron, not been called Mister since I was in meetings at work

Cheers

Ron 

The lower walkway on the West side completed and fixed -

post-10633-0-39224700-1432498415_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-14392500-1432498585_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-74485400-1432498700_thumb.jpg

The upper walkway needs extending to complete, and fixed in position at the longitudinal joint between the third and fourth glazing panels of the uppermost glazing

... then a start on the middle walkway will be made

• Like 5

Having followed this thread from the start, I think we sometimes forget just how big this building is (even in model form) perhaps it would be good to include a "oo figure" now and again just to remind us exactly the scale of your undertaking, I cannot truly express my admiration of your skills and patience in words, so I will just say "wow" and leave it at that. happy modeling Ron, may the plastic gods continue to smile on you!

• Like 1

Wouldn't you believe it - no plastic scale figures, except a policeman

No I am not turning my hand to scratchbuilding scale figures  :no:

Will have to trawl the internet for 4mm scale figures suitable for the 1950/1960s era

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Wouldn't you believe it - no plastic scale figures, except a policeman

No I am not turning my hand to scratchbuilding scale figures  :no:

Will have to trawl the internet for 4mm scale figures suitable for the 1950/1960s era

Try Dart Castings they have good range of figures.

http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/montys.php

The first 1435mm of the lower glazing panels on the West side of the roof -

post-10633-0-25451300-1432737488_thumb.jpg

The upper 1420mm of walkway fixed over the upper glazing panel on the East side of the roof -

post-10633-0-29921000-1432737573_thumb.jpg

... the remaining 632mm length is under construction

post-10633-0-04801000-1432737652_thumb.jpg

View showing both upper and lower walkways - the middle walkway is yet to be constructed, and will be located over the bottom of the upper glazing panel

post-10633-0-11816300-1432737726_thumb.jpg

View over and along the upper walkway - the handrail wobbles a bit  :declare:  - will attempt a little bit of re-alignment

Will be chopping a few hundred more 28mm black glazing bars this evening for the remaining glazing panels  :butcher:

• Like 3

Just in case anyone wonders how the upper walkway was located and fixed. As it is 1420mm long constructed from two lengths of 20thou x 2.5mm strips and 20thou rod - it is 'slightly' flexible

The completed walkway was placed on a metre rule with approx 200mm overhanging each end, and lifted onto the upper level of roof cladding. The rule being removed leaving the walkway above its final location

Strips of mount card were placed with bluetack below the walkway's required location i.e. 4mm below the joint between the 3rd & 4th glazing strips on the upper glazing panel

The walkway was then lowered against the mount card strips, and every fifth walkway support glued - voila!

• Like 5