York 2011 (Easter) - official show website

john new

It's Easter next weekend so time to give this a bump.

Mike Cook, who as many of you will know, was stuck in a hospital bed last year is hoping to be there for all three days this year.

So watch out for a high speed Show Manager zooming round the Racecourse in his wheelchair :rolleyes:

Mal

• RMweb Gold
I'm hoping to be there on Monday afternoon - I just hope traders and exhibitors don't start to pack up early

Officially frowned on and as most traders want an invite again next year pretty much self policing. I guess towards the end of the last hour layouts will have dropped to a Sunday service with (according to period/location) a DMU, EMU, push-pull set or Auto-train service running but that's normal for any show. What I have never seen at York, but have at some other smaller shows, is layouts and traders heading for the door and home with the advertised closing time not reached and despite the fact that the last few punters are still in the hall.

Officially frowned on and as most traders want an invite again next year pretty much self policing.

Similar to when I used to trade at Warley!

I'll probably only have a couple of hours there so want a good couple of hours!

• RMweb Premium

Just got back from the Exhibition and have had a most enjoyable day. Managed to get all that was on my shopping list and booked three layouts for future Stafford Exhibitions.

Attendance looked to drop after lunch and it was much easier to get around weather not ideal for attracting non committed modellers.

Hope all goes well for Sunday & Monday

Eltel

I'll be there with a lot of the Scarborough contingent on Monday. It's usually a bit quieter and I'm not looking for any earlybird bargains this year. To all those that have been, which layouts stood out for you?

• RMweb Gold

I'll be interested to hear opinions of this year's show (which I have 'left off the list' as it follows after several other things for me and clashes with an important domestic datewink.gif). I didn't bother with York last year as I was beginning to feel that it was not so good as some past shows as to justify the long journey or overnight stay that it would now involve for me - it would have to be really good to get me back I'm sorry to say; so was it?

• RMweb Premium

In reply to the last two posts I find it difficult to comment (Layouts) how good or bad a exhibition is.

We all have varied tastes in the type of modelling we are interested in so different type of layouts appeal to different modellers.

I always look at the exhibition website to see what layouts are attending and also note from magazine articles the layouts featured and where they will be exhibited.

There were about 4 or 5 layouts I had not seen before Ashfordley, Tan Y Bwlch, Dolgeellau, Barton Ings, Old Mills

I thought there was a good mix of layouts and represented good value for money.

Regarding the trade it is always good if are able purchase the items on your shopping list, which I did

A good chat with many friends on both layouts and traders and a helpfull chat with Bachmann of my cash flow with all the forthcoming goodies

Eltel

In reply to the last two posts I find it difficult to comment (Layouts) how good or bad a exhibition is.

We all have varied tastes in the type of modelling we are interested in so different type of layouts appeal to different modellers.

FWIW and in case it's any help, two that stood out to me and which I'll go back for another look at tomorrow are the lovely St Merryn and Simon's Thompson's blue era 7mm, the name of which escapes me ATM

Spent most of yesterday there but it proved to be the shortest visit to York in recent memory, and I'm not certain exactly why. The usual crowds didn't seem to materialise, the traders seemed thin on the ground, or maybe I just had a short shopping list but either way it was much easier to see what I wanted to see and I left around 3ish as against closing time as has been the case in past years.

All in all though, not a bad show with a good variety of layouts and some real gems

Visited York yesterday afternoon arriving about 2.30pm. Ground floor was quite busy, sadly couldn't say the same for the others. Felt really sorry for the traders on the mezzanine levels who were being cooked nicely. The TT stand was like an oven!

Sadly found a lot of layouts that had barely had anything moving or the operators didn't really seem to bothered and were talking amongst themselves. One layout on the ground floor wasn't even manned. Still very much a kettle fest, please more modern image stuff.

I bought a few bits from Squires but as an N gauge modeller was disappointed in the range available and some of the prices. No offence to the traders that do attend but have you checked your show prices against what is being offered on the internet. I'm sorry but if you want me to part with the readies you are going to have to do a lot better. Also please note: can you carry some rolling stock other than locos!

Signed up to BRM too as I thought their show offer was very good value and you got most of the freebies handed to you there and then, well done.

I'd give the show 7/10

Hopefully the 50th show next year will be much better.

• RMweb Premium

Visited the show this afternoon and I'm afraid it didn't really float my boat this time. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood. What little 'modern image' there was seemed to be attracting the bulk of the fairly sparse crowd. I also noticed a couple of layouts with very little activity, we even visited one layout three times without seeing a single movement, just operators chatting behind the scenes. Trade representation seemed alright, maybe a bit thinner on the ground than usual but everything I wanted was there so no complaints. Millfields impressed the most with its continuous stream of scale length trains.

I enjoyed the show. Loved the US Arizona layout on the top floor made out of insulating board - very effective.

Trade wise lots of the smaller retailers which is good for the bits and bobs, but a bit thin on RTR stuff especially rolling stock which someone else mentioned.

Why is it when i have a bit of spare cash i never seem to spend much yet when iam skint i see loads i cannot afford?!!!

Paul

Interesting the comments made above about the trade given one major omission this year, for me anyway, was the Ebor secondhand stall, which, I was told by a steward was because certain traders had complained that it drew trade away from them. Strange given that its been a regular fixture of the show for as long as I can remember so why this should so suddenly now be a factor is interesting.

York was the first show I attended as a 12 year old in 1976 and I've probably been to about 25 of the 35 or so since then but somehow I sensed a change this year. There were undoubtedly far fewer people there, weather, the late easter and overlapping bank holidays might have been factors there, but somehow there was something lacking about the show and I can't quite put my finger on what it was.

I enjoyed it yesterday (Saturday). Children a little thinner on the ground but that was probably not problematic for the traders. I think they had a full house of traders but perhaps a little less interest in them. There was no gobsmacking layout for me unlike past years (I saw Blea Moor, The Gresley Beat, Kingswear first at York). However, having driven up and visited the bar, I walked down to the 2nd floor and saw Alstom with an N guage loco creeping slowly away with a train - spot on.

There did seem to be one or two layouts with little happening. As for traders and prices, these do seem to be rising - I think its a feature of Far East price inflation.

Overall good and will certainly be returning next year.

Interesting the comments made above about the trade given one major omission this year, for me anyway, was the Ebor secondhand stall, which, I was told by a steward was because certain traders had complained that it drew trade away from them. Strange given that its been a regular fixture of the show for as long as I can remember so why this should so suddenly now be a factor is interesting.

Interesting indeed, there were no other stands with anything like a decent selection of s/h (which is why I also missed it).

Archived