Heljan Baby Deltic

Burkitt

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

As promised 4 years ago, I finally got around to picking up one of these, D5901 to be specific. However, the factory-molded detailing is getting in the way when I add the couplings and causes the wheels to jump off at the corners.

The instructions do suggest cutting away the detailing to make space, but give no indication to how much I need to remove to order to prevent the coupling swing from derailing the loco. Any advice?

20240228_144626.jpg

20240228_144653.jpg

20240228_144710.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, MoarCrossovers said:

As promised 4 years ago, I finally got around to picking up one of these, D5901 to be specific. However, the factory-molded detailing is getting in the way when I add the couplings and causes the wheels to jump off at the corners.

The instructions do suggest cutting away the detailing to make space, but give no indication to how much I need to remove to order to prevent the coupling swing from derailing the loco. Any advice?

20240228_144626.jpg

20240228_144653.jpg

20240228_144710.jpg

Without wishing to state the obvious(?), anything that gets in the way when you swivel the bogie on a shiny surface, such as you illustrate.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Bend a small paperclip and try to push out the pipes / coupling etc from the rear - it may need a spot of PLASTIC FRIENDLY lubricant (mine did) definitely NOT WD-40 - support the loco properly whilst doing it - take your time.

I took out just the vac pipe, steam pipe and coupling , the small air pipes & MU cable are flexible enough to stay put - if you're not bothered about keeping the coupling intact then just cut it below the top link - that will suffice.

Edited by Southernman46

• RMweb Gold
On 28/02/2024 at 15:11, MoarCrossovers said:

20240228_144626.jpg

20240228_144653.jpg

20240228_144710.jpg

How much you need to remove depends entirely on the radius of your curves. Remove a little at a time checking against your track.

If you have track cutters, they can do quite a neat job of cutting off little bits at a time. 

Roy

• Agree 2

Throw the supplied couplings away; replace them with a wire loop, inserted through holes in the bufferbeam, and araldited behind.

the coupling on the coach will hook onto the new loop.

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/02/2024 at 16:11, MoarCrossovers said:

20240228_144626.jpg

20240228_144653.jpg

20240228_144710.jpg

I fitted buckeyes (the longest ones, number 20 I believe) to mine avoid snipping off stuff. Then use a convertor vehicle. (I do this a lot with Heljan).

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 weeks later...

Having recently pick up a second hand Class 23 at Doncaster Model show and fitted a DCC Chip I notice the Tail Lights are on when the head lights are on.

Is there a way to stop this from happening?

Thanks

Peter

Edited by Peter749
class

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Peter749 said:

Having recently pick up a second hand Class 23 at Doncaster Model show and fitted a DCC Chip I notice the Tail Lights are on when the head lights are on.

Is there a way to stop this from happening?

Thanks

Peter

Nope, the Baby Deltic models are 8pin and predate independant lights.

Would require rewiring to have separate control of the tail lights although it might be possible to just unplug them.

1 minute ago, Kaput said:

Nope, the Baby Deltic models are 8pin and predate independant lights.

Would require rewiring to have separate control of the tail lights although it might be possible to just unplug them.

Thanks,

I will look at unpluging the lights at one end.

My layout is like a Dogbone and I just run the locos with the Front (DCC) leading so I remove the couplings at that end and the inner end is dark.

Peter