Lime Street Station

Les Green

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

We are not a club, but a collection of friends who contribute freely to the project.

Several of us own models, particularly but not exclusively rolling stock, which are seen on the layout.
The layout is privately owned by, and the lifetime's work of John Holden.

Steve
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the progress of the North Western Hotel.

27 chimney stacks made for the main core of the hotel, complete with 182 chimney pots. Each of the stacks contain up to 39 parts, excluding the chimney pots.

post-8613-0-26329300-1438099980_thumb.jpg

Now slotted into the main roof. I am often asked why spend years modelling in 3D on my computer rather than just making the model. I think the following picture showing the stacks answer the question. The stacks, although all different configurations, are exactly the same height, exactly vertical, perfectly evenly spaced and all aligned where they should be aligned.

post-8613-0-94816700-1438099980_thumb.jpg

Finally I have just added the pointy bits to the central tower pinnacles. A bit wobbly at the moment but once permanent will be correctly aligned!

post-8613-0-89857000-1438099981_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Update on the progress of the North Western Hotel.

27 chimney stacks made for the main core of the hotel, complete with 182 chimney pots. Each of the stacks contain up to 39 parts, excluding the chimney pots.

Les,

That makes 1235 components just in the Chimney Stacks.

You should run a sweepstake on the total number of components in the complete Hotel :O

Steve.

I did notice that after I'd posted. So maybe I should have said mask all of the windows.

What the heck it's going to be one stunning building.

OzzyO.

The windows, complete with window frames, slide out from the bottom of the building. This will allow us (me!) to paint the model without having to worry about any masking. The windows and frames will then slide back in before the weathering stage.

The photo below shows the main front wall of the hotel with the corresponding window section. The window section is built from four layers, the outer window frames, the glazing, an inner window frame identical to the outer frame, and finally a layer of MDF for stiffness, thought this was probably not needed.

post-8613-0-47941700-1438177796_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Who is a clever Les ( I was going to say Dick) then.

Fantastic work Les, but get the heavy grot on first then do the light grot after the windows are in place.

OzzyO.

PS. I remember Liverpool around the 1970s and a lot of the "nice" buildings were covered in grot, about the only one that was not was Paddy's wigwam.  

No offence meant to any one. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
PS. I remember Liverpool around the 1970s and a lot of the "nice" buildings were covered in grot, about the only one that was not was Paddy's wigwam.  

No offence meant to any one. 

No offence, as well as that, we also used to call it "The Mersey Funnel"!

As for the grot, it was a fact of life in those days and even when people stopped burning coal, there wasn't the money about to clean it off.  Took some riots to get things started...

• RMweb Gold

Changes to the trains and their operating sequence.....

John and I have spent today modifying the Operating Sequence which is used during all running sessions.

The availability of new stock; Engines, Coaches and some Goods Vans have required the operating sequence to be adjusted.

The new Hornby Suburbans are being integrated into the services by strengthening some trains from 5 or 6 coaches to up to 8.

This in turn means the use of Siding "A", between platforms 1 & 2 for stabling a Pilot engine is no longer feasible, so an alternative has been found when this is necessary.

Those familiar with our operations will be aware that a short Coal Train services the station each day with domestic supplies for Train Heating, Station and Hotel Heating.

This has been joined by a short van train which handles the daily flow of Linen from the Hotel to and from a Laundry.

New engines have increased the strength of the fleet, and the sequence has been modified to "ring the changes" throughout the day.

All these modifications, and other new technology developments will be incorporated when we exhibit the layout at the upcoming Wigan and Wakefield shows.

Steve.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update on the progress with the North Western Hotel for Liverpool Lime Street.

This week some of etched components were fitted to the front of the model, some permanently and some temporarily.

The close ups show an incredible amount of dust and chips.These will be sorted before painting  - hopefully!

First the drainpipe brackets.

post-8613-0-06390100-1440598850_thumb.jpg

and the window safety bars.

post-8613-0-75054500-1440598850_thumb.jpg

post-8613-0-55237100-1440598854_thumb.jpg

The gates to the wine cellars

post-8613-0-71168900-1440598853_thumb.jpg

And the fencing at the sides of the main entrance

post-8613-0-16186400-1440598852_thumb.jpg

Finally some of the metal window lintels????

post-8613-0-49249100-1440598851_thumb.jpg

post-8613-0-98478700-1440598852_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

WIGAN is almost upon us.............

We'll be off to Wigan with the layout tomorrow.

John tells me it is all dismantled and packed for transport.

All the items are lined up in the railway room in the sequence for loading.

This is the first time we are having to use Two Vans, so a new loading order will have to be finalised.

Early start, I'll pick up Rob first in Greater Manchester, then John R.in Hyndburn, before going to Intack Hire in Blackburn for the vans.

A Transit Luton with Tail Lift and VW Transporter are ordered.

Drive to the Fylde Coast for loading, which we should complete by noon, then after a light lunch we'll be off to Wigan where we'll meet up with Noel and Geoff.

Hope to see many of you there.

Do come and say "Hello"

Steve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Long day today.....

Left home at 08:00, arriving at John's 10:15 with two vans and three people.

First we loaded the VW Transporter with all the "non-wheeled" items 

post-3984-0-42563300-1443823863_thumb.jpg

John checking how it looked

post-3984-0-23810200-1443823865_thumb.jpg

Then we loaded the Luton with the various transport trollies, boxes, cage etc:

post-3984-0-32230500-1443823859_thumb.jpg

Finally we added a few luxuries, such as the Operators Arm Chairs.

What a lovely sunny day to set off to an exhibition:

post-3984-0-38726400-1443823861_thumb.jpg

Much later in the evening, with the l;ayout assembled, its Feeding Time:

post-3984-0-45872700-1443823857_thumb.jpg

L. to R. are Rob, Geoff, John H., Noel, Brian and John R. (I'm behind the camera)

I hope we can get a few shots of the layout tomorrow, and possibly a little video.

Steve.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

A few snaps taken at the show today..........

Probably the biggest new feature on the layout for this show is the Sound System.

Unfortunately, I haven't managed to get a picture of it :dontknow:

Comments will be most welcome.........

I can show you the new "add on" control panel which the operators use to cue up the various sounds:

post-3984-0-92777200-1443907596_thumb.jpg

Each movement into or out of the station has a code, which is keyed in when setting the route.

The associated sound is then played from one of several speakers around the layout.

Over a period of several months Rob has been working on the backscenes:

The roads crossing the cutting used to end in a plain white backscene, but they now all carry on into the mid-distance.

Unfortunately, my close up photos don't do them justice, so I've removed them.

(Sorry Rob).

The old favourites are still well worth a look:

post-3984-0-71176600-1443907588_thumb.jpg

post-3984-0-96167000-1443907590_thumb.jpg

Followers of this Topic will be familiar with the work Les has been doing on the Hotel.

The model is not yet ready to transport, but John took this shot of it a couple of weeks ago:

post-3984-0-15312400-1443907593_thumb.jpg

We seemed to entertain a good number of visitors throughout the day today:

post-3984-0-79924500-1443907557_thumb.jpg

The video I took today is complete rubbish :cry:

Steve.

Edited by SteveAtBax
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Several posts ago it was mention there were new locos and formations, could we possibly get some pics of those?

Sorry I missed your request until too late to take the snaps.

I'll try to get some when we put the layout up again.

Steve.