Lime Street Station

Les Green

• RMweb Gold

Hi OzzyO,

I'd be delighted to help if I understood the message. :scratchhead:

Best so far is that there was a "Princess Anne" on the Preston Group's stand, and I've contacted them in the hope they can fathom it out.

Steve.

I well remember the Scammell steam wagons, although not in LMS livery. Some belonging to Criddles (animal feeds) in Liverpool regularly parked in front of our house in the 1950s. I spent hours watching them!

• Like 2

I well remember the Scammell steam wagons, although not in LMS livery. Some belonging to Criddles (animal feeds) in Liverpool regularly parked in front of our house in the 1950s. I spent hours watching them!

Its a Sentinel steam waggon.  There's one on display in "The Museum of Liverpool Life" at the Pierhead, along with Lion, a Liverpool Overhead Railway carriage and other stuff of railway/transport interest. (It may even be in Criddles livery, at least its a blue livery if I recall correctly...)

Edit:  Always check before posting.....

The one in the Museum is a "Criddles", but its a green livery!

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/mol/collections/transport/sentineltractor.aspx

Edited by Hroth

Yes well, begins with "S", doesn't it!

As for the livery, I think it was blue (and another company) when it was in the old transport gallery in the basement at William Brown Street.

Phase two of the North Western Hotel is now complete with the construction of the two central towers. All six towers are now complete and Phase three will see the completion of the main part of the hotel.

post-8613-0-83372000-1434630103_thumb.jpg

The two statues above the door were made by Pete Goss from photos of the originals. The hotel was originally a railway hotel and the statues represent travel to the civilised world and travel to the uncivilised world.

post-8613-0-67628500-1434630104_thumb.jpg

The pillars above the door and by the sides of the door are 3D prints. The dates on the column bases are the construction date of the hotel (1879) and the construction starting date of the model (2012)!

post-8613-0-96813500-1434630105_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Phase two of the North Western Hotel is now complete with the construction of the two central towers. All six towers are now complete and Phase three will see the completion of the main part of the hotel.

attachicon.gifIMG_6378.jpg

The two statues above the door were made by Pete Goss from photos of the originals. The hotel was originally a railway hotel and the statues represent travel to the civilised world and travel to the uncivilised world.

attachicon.gifIMG_6380.jpg

The pillars above the door and by the sides of the door are 3D prints. The dates on the column bases are the construction date of the hotel (1879) and the construction starting date of the model (2012)!

attachicon.gifIMG_6381.jpg

This awe inspiring modelling, as is Ron Hegs Manchester Central. Just draw dropping in it's magnitude.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Latest news from John is that the development work on the layout has been suspended for now, all the baseboards have been assembled and levelled, all points etc checked for function.

None of the stock has turned wheel since Cologne last year, so it's all being checked, cleaned and lube'd.

All team members have been asked to check their diaries and prepare for (re-)training in advance of the Wigan and Wakefield shows.

We understand there are some very significant new developments in the pipeline which may put pressure on the operators concentration!

Hi SP1,

You just need someone who can use Cad, or similar, a friend of mine works with someone who uses Cad everyday or something similar and I kid you not, can produce any building in any scale at the drop of a hat but he cant 'model' for toffee, he says he is not a model maker by any stretch of imagination, no idea were to start.

He produces the building as a scale drawing of parts/design/materials need to be used and then its printed/laser cut out as a complete kit whereby someone else puts it all together to use as models.

It all sounds simple and maybe it is if your doing it everyday of your life but remember you have to be taught how. 

What amazes me with this model is, 'if I am correct'  Les has had to learn everything from scratch to get to this point and for that its a thumbs up! and a 'very well done indeed' an incredible achievement.

cheers

Pete A L

Edited by Gravy Train

A bit more progress on the hotel. This hot sunny weather had me out in the garden modelling!! The two front walls of the hotel are more or less complete. Seven layers of mdf/rowmark/acrylic plus lots of dolls house strips of machined wood.

post-8613-0-47216600-1435847280_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi SP1,

You just need someone who can use Cad, or similar, a friend of mine works with someone who uses Cad everyday or something similar and I kid you not, can produce any building in any scale at the drop of a hat but he cant 'model' for toffee, he says he is not a model maker by any stretch of imagination, no idea were to start.

He produces the building as a scale drawing of parts/design/materials need to be used and then its printed/laser cut out as a complete kit whereby someone else puts it all together to use as models.

It all sounds simple and maybe it is if your doing it everyday of your life but remember you have to be taught how. 

What amazes me with this model is, 'if I am correct'  Les has had to learn everything from scratch to get to this point and for that its a thumbs up! and a 'very well done indeed' an incredible achievement.

cheers

Pete A L

I should have replied to this earlier, but the recent hot weather saw me in the garden (see previous post!)

I retired from work eleven years ago. Although I was not personally involved with CAD the department I was in used all the new techniques of CAD and CAM. Hence I was aware of many of the new techniques available. Now I am retired and making this model of the North Western Hotel for Liverpool Lime Street I know what I want and if I have to learn new techniques to get where I want to be then I have to learn the process. For this model we have used AutoCad for the 3D design of the model and CorelDraw to produce the drawings for the components that needed to be laser cut. We have had many etches done and quite a bit of 3D printing done. If you had said I would be using these processes for railway modelling ten years ago I would have laughed it off. No chance. All these techniques have been used by most members of the Lime Street team for a whole host of extra components. It has been a most enjoyable ride, and long may it continue!

Edited by Les Green
  • Like 4

The back wall is almost complete. This is probably the largest single piece. Only six layers this time! More details will  be fitted once the central part of the hotel is constructed around the two central towers.

post-8613-0-50942500-1436284699_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Next will be the most complex part of the hotel, the core roof. The many slots are for the chimney stacks. About thirty chimney stacks and nineteen different styles!

This is the front view of the roof. All the chimney stacks on the front are stone built to match the front of the hotel.

post-8613-0-78965000-1436284943_thumb.jpg

And the rear of the hotel roof. All the chimney stacks on the back section are brick built.

post-8613-0-69740700-1436284949_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Training / Rehearsal for Wigan and Wakefield shows starts.......

The whole layout has not been assembled since we were in Cologne last year.

A number of developments have been progressed in the meantime.

Several have been reported on RMweb, but others you will have to wait until Wigan to see or hear about.

(I bet no-one has seen a "three-phase gas supply" before.) :O

Yesterday it was time for Rob and me to get our hands on the controllers for the first time this year.

The availability of new stock has allowed us to make a few changes to the operational sequence, but nothing too fundamental.

We soon got into the routine, and the layout performed very well apart from one area of "lumpy" running.

Subsequent investigation by John confirmed that it was "overspray" from the painting of his track improvements.

You will recall from earlier posts that John spent many long hours on the Point Rodding, Ballasting etc.

Although the track had been well cleaned in the affected areas, some remnants of the cosmetics had been missed.

They've now been dealt with!

All the operating team now have their training dates confirmed, so we expect to put on a good show at Wigan and Wakefield with lots to keep you enertained when you - hopefully - come to see us.

Steve.

• Like 2

Firstly, just to express my continued admiration for this impressive project:

The fine degree of collaboration which must be involved (and take some organising) - alongside the particular skill-sets of individual contributors (and I'm sure many others in-between) - must all add up to quite a combined effort. I have much respect for you chaps.

But a question just popped into my head:

I've never been a member of a modelling club (too much of a hermit) - and I wondered how all of this superbly extensive and finely detailed masterpiece is actually paid for.

I understand the principle of clubs and subs. But doesn't something like this cost quite a bit more than the average (not meant in a derogatory way) modelling club's layout?

How do you pay for it?

Do you charge higher subs than average?

Is it normal subs, but you just have a very high number of members which covers the costs?

Or perhaps you won the lottery but didn't tell us ...

Either way, I'm just curious really.

Probably the answer is obvious but I just didn't think of it.