Lime Street Station

Les Green

The hotel and those new arches look very good indeed. Moving along nicely since I saw it at Manchester back in September. I particularly liked the onboard video.

Have there been changes made to the fiddle yard panel as I hadn't noticed the silver box to the left of the video monitor.

Michael

• Like 1

When the train pulls in to the station, the on board video is so realistic that it makes the real people that can be seen through the station roof seem so large - it's as though they're from Brobdingnag (if you're wondering where or what this is, see Gullivers Travels) rather than Germany!

I don't know any superlatives to describe this layout that haven't already been used, Stunning!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

The hotel and those new arches look very good indeed. Moving along nicely since I saw it at Manchester back in September. I particularly liked the onboard video.

Have there been changes made to the fiddle yard panel as I hadn't noticed the silver box to the left of the video monitor.

Michael

Hi Michael,

You are observant!

The silver box is actually the speaker for the "Bell Codes" and has been there for a longish time. (2013?)

However, next to it is a small remote control for the power supplies.

The power supply to the whole layout can be made from a single 13amp supply.

This feeds a four way extension socket.

Into each of these is fitted a remotely controlled switch, into which the four main electrical feeds are connected.

The remote control allows us to power up the main items in a controlled sequence, so ensuring that the Lighting is all working and stable before we connect the main computers.

If there is a power failure or service interuption, the four switches will all drop out.

When the service is restored, there will be no danger of the Computers being powered up before the Lights and risking naughty things doing damage to those delicate little chips and things.

Steve.

• Like 2

I saw this layout in Cologne and was really impressed with the way it was operated. Flawless, completely hands off operation, and watching the operators was just like watching signallers setting routes on an NX panel. Your training sessions definitly paid off. The German model railway scene is mad keen on fancy electronics, computer control etc., but I was amazed how many operators on other layouts ended up pushing trains by hand through dead sections because they couldn't work out how to energize the section. I also saw a couple of layouts suffering from overload of the DCC command station bring the whole layout to a standstill.

Thankyou for bring the layout to Germany, I'm sure there are much more conveniently located exhibitions you could have gone to instead!

• RMweb Gold

"A definite highlight".........

The organisers of the Cologne show, with 60,000 visitors over four days its the largest in Europe, have issued their final Press Report about the event and in it they mention our layout with the words:

"A definite highlight of IMA 2014 had come exclusively to Cologne from Liverpool. The impressive layout 'Liverpool Lime Street' in gauge EM - a large gauge used mainly in the UK - represents Liverpool's Lime Street station in the period around 1945. Special features of the layout include its sophisticated electronics, the large fiddle yard and a router which can set over 200 different routes into and out of the station."

Steve.

p.s. The complete Press Report is here: Schlussbericht_IMA2014_EN.doc

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

When we returned from Cologne, we new there were a few things which needed attention before the layout could be assembled again:

First the space where the sector plate normally stands looked like this:

post-3984-0-18722800-1418742942_thumb.jpg

We thought these might be our New Uniforms, :O but turned out to be for John and Pauline's skaters who have just been appearing at a pre-Christmas event in Chester.

Phew!

• Like 2

Les,

would the Parcel Forwarding Office sign have been an LNWR or LMS Item? If the former, what font did you use for it?

Jol

Not sure if the sign is LNWR or LMS. All I had to go on was the photo below. As to font, I used Arial which seems close enough.

post-8613-0-43383900-1418838429.jpg

Like that; it even includes the Gloucester Street nameplate.

I wonder how many people have walked up there and not realised that this short road even had a name, let alone what it was!

Yes, and I had the street name etched as well!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

And these bikes may get dumped down the cutting into Lime Street. A bit out of place as they are models of my mountain bike and my road bike!

If you have any bikes going spare, I'm sure they could find their way onto a more appropriate layout.......

Cheers,

mick

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Les,

Arial does seem to fit the bill for LNWR signs.

Jol

Rule One applies. Some folk get as animated about fonts as some here do about brick courses. I think the original sign has a font that is rather squarer and heavier than Arial (which probably postdates the LNWR).

Edit to add: Font.com tells us that Arial dates from as recently as 1982, having been developed for use by IBM dot-matrix printers. But it was based on a 1926 font (so still post LNWR) called Monotype Grotesque. That can be formatted in a way that closely resembles the prototype sign.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I know that when i researched fonts for a station sign for Long Preston I took a drawing of the standard Midland Font to a signmaker and we spent a long time trying to match it.  The comment made was that the font was probably decided by the carpenter/patternmaker who cut out the letters for the original sign to be cast from. The pattern making process would inroduce font variaions anyway tro ensure that it came out of the mould cleanly.  There probably isn't an exact match so just got for the one that looks best.

Jamie

• Like 1

I think your man has this the wrong way around. There exist drawings from the Derby D.O. which show the letter forms to be used to prepare the patterns for casting the letters. What hasn't happened is that no one has made a commercial computer font from these drawings. Hence your man was not able to match lettering produced a the end of the 19th century with something that couldn't have existed much before the 1970's.