New & Improved Class 33

Andy Y

Considering the latest sound fitted 50 from Hornby has an RRP of £231.75, that, as steep as it looks, is probably what you could call 'the going rate'.

I'd immagine that the occasional buyer or gift buyer may pay full RRP, but a somewhat experianced modeller/collector should know by now that savings can be made if one shops around.

I believe the box shifters are selling the Hornby DCC-Sound Class 50 for around £180ish, which is quite a considerable diffrence from the RRP

I just fail to understand the why they need to sell them in "Twin packs" to justify the investment. If it's going to be that good a model then surely they wouldnt have any trouble shifting them singly over time. £100 is today around the going rate for a 'top end' loco and thats fine, but i personally cannot justify spending near enough £200 to get my hands on them when i only really want one. I just find it somewhat frustrating. Rant over.

Let RM Web organise to Twin up people, so they can get the one they want. Charlie

• Like 3

I'd immagine that the occasional buyer or gift buyer may pay full RRP, but a somewhat experianced modeller/collector should know by now that savings can be made if one shops around.

I believe the box shifters are selling the Hornby DCC-Sound Class 50 for around £180ish, which is quite a considerable diffrence from the RRP

Oh absolutely, the point I was making though is that two Shredders for just shy of £400 kind of fits in with the way things are going. The difference here is that it is unlikely that the discounts that the larger retailers apply would ever materialise.

I think this kind of venture is a good one. I haven't bought a 33/0 because it looks wrong enough to bother me (I bought a 33/1 instead) so I think they WILL sell, but in the long run, it also kind of forces HJ to fix their errors. Whether or not they get to produce the re-tooled version themselves later remains to be seen.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

With my interest in all things DRS I think I will have to splash out on that particular pair with the minimodal branding. I have a model of 33207 with Howes sound fitted already and it has to be one of the most fun to operate. I wonder what recordings they are using in their factory fitted models, will try and find out at some point when my order goes in but think I would stick to adding Howes at a later date. With the updated spec for these £100 a model isn't too bad especially when the early build 26's have that as an RRP and the 33's will even better.

I'll see if the wife will buy me them for Christmas :blink: !

I think Charlie has come up with a good idea maybe not for RMweb directly but I'm sure people near each other / in clubs etc could organise to split packs between them so as not to miss out.

I wish Rail Exclusive continued success with this project. I have seen my payment for the loadhaul 37's has just come out as well so looking forward to those arriving.

Thanks,

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

With the REx 37/5s there was a two year exclusive agreement before the toolings were available for general release.

I don't know how long their exclusive agreement lasts with Heljan, but I hope in two or three years' time, they'll announce it as part of their standard range so I'll hold back buying the improved version until then.

With the REx 37/5s there was a two year exclusive agreement before the toolings were available for general release.

I don't know how long their exclusive agreement lasts with Heljan, but I hope in two or three years' time, they'll announce it as part of their standard range so I'll hold back buying the improved version until then.

Something to consider is that in two or three years time it's quite possible that Heljan's standard releases of these models (assuming they do incorporate them into their standard range) could easily be around the £100 mark, even when discounted. Just look where the prices of Hornby (in particular) and Bachmann have gone this year. With high inflation not looking likely to end quickly and, perhaps more significantly, ever rising costs in China, three years time seems very likely to bring much higher prices.

However, Heljan are unlikely to release them only as twin packs so there will still be savings to be made if only by obtaining only those locos you actually want.

• RMweb Premium

Having read their flyer, I was only interested in buying one rail blue loco to be my definitive 33/0, alongside my 33/1 and 33/2, and as both in their twin pack were numbered as Hither Green based locos, and I wanted mine to be an Eastleigh based loco, it would need re-numbering anyway, I'm therefore happy to wait a little while longer before they're released singly.

• RMweb Gold

A very welcome development.

I will certainly be buying some. I already have a couple of Heljan 33/1s bought cheaply for conversion into 33/0s. I will finish the one I started and just repaint the others but keep them as 33/s.

Its far more than just fixing the roof as there are lots of other improvements.

The improved 33/0 may well become part of the regular Heljan range in a few years as pointed out previously. I agree that prices will rise between now and then so I will not wait.

Edited for spelling.

• RMweb Premium

I just fail to understand the why they need to sell them in "Twin packs" to justify the investment. If it's going to be that good a model then surely they wouldnt have any trouble shifting them singly over time. £100 is today around the going rate for a 'top end' loco and thats fine, but i personally cannot justify spending near enough £200 to get my hands on them when i only really want one. I just find it somewhat frustrating. Rant over.

My big beef with the twin pack idea (apart from having to find £200 in one go as opposed to buying 2 over a period of, say, 3 months to split the cost) is that the locos are in exactly the same livery - for my period, a green SYP and a plain green would both be ideal. I suppose there'll be someone out there who wants the same combination who'd be willing to swap a loco...........

Seriously, if you're interested, please PM me and perhaps we can come to some arrangement!

Well it seems like a lot of people want single ones, me included. So the simple solution which I'm planning on is: buy a twin pack having formed a contract with someone else who wants the other... I want 33046 in dutch, so who wants bean can 047... Or as has been suggested, await eBay/RMWebmarketplace etc options.

Regards

Tom

• RMweb Gold

-think there is getting to be too much whinging about the 'twin pack' thing here, surely on a forum like this it is not that difficult for all you who just want just the one to team up with someone else who just wants one via the either the PM system or the 'wanted' section. I hope you will all put your money where your mouth is and we can all see lots off 'Crompton partners wanted' in the classifieds tomorrow? ;)

I think the whole ltd edition thing and market is totally wrong, but someone must be buying them, or they would'nt keep making them? - but if you are not wanting it for collectability and its a model you want for your layout - and it just happens to come in a twinpack is that really insurmountable? maybe if you are a lone modeller, but people in clubs and on internet forums shouldn't really have that much trouble in finding someone to pair up with?

• Like 1

Surely if they sold all the models planned individually they would sell just as many locos, satisfy more people, and therefore still recoup their investment.

Clearly not, else obviously they would have been offered separately. No one is forced to purchase. As with most things in life, if you want it, consider it a good deal and can afford it, then its a done deal. If your answer is "No" to any of the above, then you go without. Simple. ;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I have only one of the HJ 33/0's in my fleet, all the rest are the much better in appearance 33/1 and 33/2 variety. I have to admit I am very tempted by a pair, either the RF Construction or the Dutch pairing. Are these coming with etched plates supplied? If not that is another expense to consider and nameplates/depot plaques are getting very pricey these days.

Of more interest to me is the list of possible forthcoming individual releases, revised Network SouthEast and green 33008 'Eastleigh' in particular would see me open my wallet...

• RMweb Premium

It is for RE to make commercial decisions as to how thay can best recover their costs on the product and for us to decide if we wish to purchase them at the price asked and in pairs.

I like the concept of RM web acting as a "twinning" clearing house though I see it might be fraught with difficulties if the two parties are not at least already known to each other.

When I set the cost and new detail of these locos against the relatively small (in my view) inaccuracy of the current offerings I am minded to stick with what I already have. I certainly cannot justify two more Cromptons and that would be the case even at a typical Hattons discount price.

That said I wish RE every success in the venture.

Hi John.

Are these coming with etched plates supplied? If not that is another expense to consider and nameplates/depot plaques are getting very pricey these days.

From Andys Original Post ...

"•Stainless steel worksplates, arrows, nameplates and headboards where appropriate."

:) ;) B)

HTH

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

My initial excitement has, like others, waned on the news that you have to commit to buying two models in the same livery. I would be happy to commit to buying two, if that was the only way to ensure a sufficient number of models was produced, provided I could buy a mixed pair - for me a Green SYP and a BR Blue.

I can understand their need to recoup the investment in new tooling, but since Rail Exclusive will decide how many of each set to produce basded on commitments to buy before a certain date, surely they could agree to mixed sets up to a certain date, after which only the matching pair sets could be pre-ordered.

I hope this works for them, but I too may well end up waiting until single models are produced as standard Heljan releases. Unlike many of Rail Exclusive's specials, which cover special liveries and/or loco numbers, these 33s are standard locos and do not cover limited tooling variants, so there can be little doubt that they would sell for Heljan as standard releases in future. With that knowledge, I fear that many will baulk at buying two the same and will wait.

Incidentally, what about green FYE? That would be my first choice of livery, so even more reason to wait.

I have emailed Rail Exclusive about this and will post what they say in reply.

May I put the pricing into perspective a little? With impeccable bad timing, last Thursday I ordered one of the inaccurate green Class 33's from Howes, for £69, togther with Howes Class 33 sound card and speaker at £117.50. The optional fitting charge for the sound card is £17.50, and p&p adds another £5.50. So a green 33 with sound from Howes costs at least £192.

As of this morning, Howes are only showing one choice for a green 33 - D6580 at £79.

Hattons have them (various models) from £72 to £79 + p&p.

So on price terms, yes, these 'accurate' green ones are a bit dear in today's terms, but the sound option seems to be a saving.

Will the currently-available inaccurate green 33's now become bargain basement clearance items? Only time will tell!

Oh, decisions, decisions!

Richard

The thing that got to wonder about is this "new tooling" justifying the premium price, I mean Heljans 33/0 although with the flat roof, is a fine model with loads of detailing potential to be made into a fine model. Really the only weak points of the orginal 33/0 release were the flat roof, and the horrible fan grills with moulded fan, so does this Finally mean that we will see etched grills on heljans 33s and hopefully on future releases too? be interested to see what new features the new models will have

NL

Let RM Web organise to Twin up people, so they can get the one they want. Charlie

RMWeb SWAPSHOP :D

I'll be getting the DRS Twins to go with my DRS 20

I may then also have to get 207 in DRS also

Phil Sutton is to be commended yet again

I have to be honest I have my own list of accquisitions which I've almost completed and there's not much in the mainstream that I want to get so looks like Rail Exclusive may be the main recipient of my hobby budget this year !

• Like 1