Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

• RMweb Premium

Gordon,

The add one to a simple plan makes a lot of sense. Getting something running always lightens the spirits but don't get too distracted by "testing " the layout...:-)

Baz

PS one day I will start building my layout..one day...and, despite owning a fair amount of O Gauge locos and stock it will be in OO as I like longish trains.

• Like 2

My New Plan, Willsbridge is a simple affair just to get Trains Running, Yes it's ALL Peco and Solenoid Motors, but like Pete said about his Brother and Baz said about long Trains, it's just nice to see things running.

A few questions if I may please,

1, When did you last actually have Trains running around on a Layout?

2, When do you expect to get the pleasure out of seeing them running?

3, Surly we ALL buy Locos to see them on the Track and Running, (well I know I do), are you the same Gordon?

4, As I asked in your Points thread, can you not re jig the plan slightly to re-use some of the many existing Points?

5, Can you not un-solder some of the Points to re-use the Sleepers and Rail, George T has done this many times and re-used both Sleeper and Rail successfully?

Just some out loud thoughts from someone who has gone back to basics to get Trains running before Christmas.

• Like 5

My New Plan, Willsbridge is a simple affair just to get Trains Running, Yes it's ALL Peco and Solenoid Motors, but like Pete said about his Brother and Baz said about long Trains, it's just nice to see things running.

A few questions if I may please,

1, When did you last actually have Trains running around on a Layout?

2, When do you expect to get the pleasure out of seeing them running?

3, Surly we ALL buy Locos to see them on the Track and Running, (well I know I do), are you the same Gordon?

4, As I asked in your Points thread, can you not re jig the plan slightly to re-use some of the many existing Points?

5, Can you not un-solder some of the Points to re-use the Sleepers and Rail, George T has done this many times and re-used both Sleeper and Rail successfully?

Just some out loud thoughts from someone who has gone back to basics to get Trains running before Christmas.

Thanks Andy...and I thought Jeremy Paxman was a tough interviewer...

1. No idea.  Years ago.

2. 2017, but then I've been there before.

3. Yes, but they're all in boxes waiting for the big day.  I had a cull last year and parted with 50% of my current stock.

4. Can't be done for the reasons explained in the other thread.

5. Possible, but not something I would consider for personal reasons.

I made the mistake before of saying I wanted to see something running by Christmas and failed miserably.  I'd love to see something running this year, but no promises as family issues etc are all demanding chunks of modelling time.

I have no idea how you guys just turn out layouts in days.  I doff my cap to you all.....

Edited by gordon s

Thanks Andy...and I thought Jeremy Paxman was a tough interviewer...

2. 2017, but then I've been there before.

Next time you're there could you pick up the lottery numbers for me? Cheers!

Seriously though, great to see you getting the mojo back and hope to see continued progress and hopefully trains running in 2017!

• Like 2

I sort of understand when you mention that more than one hobby can compete for your time.

From March till October for me its the garden / greenhouse / seed sowing / propagating etc ... In fact I'm in the garden every day possible.

Its only now the layout building is starting. 

The trick I guess is just to enjoy your modelling in whatever form it takes - once its not fun - stop.

I know this isn't railway modelling but I've gotta ask - what kind of planting scheme are you thinking of ....  :offtopic:

Apologies Ross, I missed your post.  RMweb moves so quickly these days...

Planting scheme?  I'm ashamed to say I don't have one right now.  We've got a lot on our plate right now, so planting will wait till next Spring.  Water lillies are virtually out as the carp devour anything in the pond and they never get started.  There are shelves around 60% of the pond so we will plant marginals in plastic baskets to stop the fish digging them out.  No doubt after Christmas I'll sit down with a glass of wine and my water gardening book and make a list....

Can't recall if I mentioned it in this thread, but over the years I have amassed around 150 turnouts from the various incarnations of ET.  They've been piling up on the floor and I was close to binning the lot until I asked for advice on RMweb whether or not they were worth selling.

I'm staggered by the response I have had.  Within hours 35 went in a job lot.  Then a double junction and another order for six turnouts.  Tonight another 33 have gone, so the whole day has been spent cleaning, testing and fettling every one to make sure they are 100% and the new owners are pleased with their purchase.  Tomorrow will be the same, checking and cleaning the all the turnouts from this latest order.  Many thanks guys, I really appreciate your custom and your investment will ensure purchase of new materials to fund this version of ET.

Just to give you some idea of how many I have.  Here's what's left after selling over 70....

post-6950-0-09094400-1479756101_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-23551900-1479756118_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-33474100-1479756134_thumb.jpg

On top of these I have another 60-70 turnouts that were built for me when I first started my mid life modelling hobby.  They are probably Marcway and were all built along Peco lines or similar. They all work, but need some rework to bring them up to my idea of saleable condition.  I suspect they will go on eBay or RMweb, but I cannot offer them for sale just yet as I need to be happy that my customers will be happy with their purchase.

Once cleaned up and checked, they would be ideal for smaller branch line layouts or storage yards etc.

Of course if you want to do the work yourself, then I will discount them as a complete package...

Here's a pic.....(not a particularly good one, but you get the gist)

post-6950-0-41801500-1479756772_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Planting scheme?  I'm ashamed to say I don't have one right now.  We've got a lot on our plate right now, so planting will wait till next Spring.  Water lillies are virtually out as the carp devour anything in the pond and they never get started.  There are shelves around 60% of the pond so we will plant marginals in plastic baskets to stop the fish digging them out.  No doubt after Christmas I'll sit down with a glass of wine and my water gardening book and make a list....

Can't recall if I mentioned it in this thread, but over the years I have amassed around 150 turnouts from the various incarnations of ET.  They've been piling up on the floor and I was close to binning the lot until I asked for advice on RMweb whether or not they were worth selling.

I'm staggered by the response I have had.  Within hours 35 went in a job lot.  Then a double junction and another order for six turnouts.  Tonight another 33 have gone, so the whole day has been spent cleaning, testing and fettling every one to make sure they are 100% and the new owners are pleased with their purchase.  Tomorrow will be the same, checking and cleaning the all the turnouts from this latest order.  Many thanks guys, I really appreciate your custom and your investment will ensure purchase of new materials to fund this version of ET.

Just to give you some idea of how many I have.  Here's what's left after selling over 70....

attachicon.gifDSCF8165.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF8166.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF8167.jpg

On top of these I have another 60-70 turnouts that were built for me when I first started my mid life modelling hobby.  They are probably Marcway and were all built along Peco lines or similar. They all work, but need some rework to bring them up to my idea of saleable condition.  I suspect they will go on eBay or RMweb, but I cannot offer them for sale just yet as I need to be happy that my customers will be happy with their purchase.

Once cleaned up and checked, they would be ideal for smaller branch line layouts or storage yards etc.

Of course if you want to do the work yourself, then I will discount them as a complete package...

attachicon.gifDSCF8170.jpg

Glad to hear you've been able to sell them off rather than have to throw them away, would have been a real shame if you'd ended up just throwing out so much time and effort, especially since now there are other people who will be able to continue using them for years to come!

Peter

attachicon.gifDSCF8165.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF8166.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF8167.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF8170.jpg

Nice one Gordon, what a good move and your reaping the rewards of earlier work so a double bonus.

Keep em going so we can ET rise again.

All the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Gordon S wrote:

------------------------

I'd just like you to know that I've been following your work from time to time for some years. A year ago I started contructing my own turnouts, and you were the inspiration. I looked at what you could make, and immensely helpfully HOW you had made them, and wanted to try and do something even half as good myself. So I might never again have anything meaningful to write on to you, but I owe you a huge thank you!

Edited by richardswain
  • Like 7

Hi Richard, that's made my day.... :blush:

I guess the question now is how did you get on?  Have they 'turned out' OK?......

Well the last of my orders are now packed and ready to go.  I still have quite a few turnouts left (mainly large radius curves) if anyone is interested, but the cash raised will now allow me to buy some new material and get on with this build.  Sincere thanks to all who bought from me.  I hope you enjoy many hours of faultless running..... :good:  

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 3

Gordon

Very glad your efforts have not gone to waste and the fact that you checked each item prior to sending is very commendable.  I am sure the turnouts have found good homes and will be much appreciated. Might be worth giving some idea of the turnouts radii and sizes, could well tempt a few offers. If you have any Marcway ones left try selling in bundles of 4 either on here of eBay

Pity I have now moved away as would have loved to have popped around. Looking forward to seeing progress of the latest version, trains running by Easter?

• Like 2

Thanks John.  Another two went tonight, but still some to go, mainly right hand curved.  Difficult to give exact radii as each was custom built to suit an ET plan and there have been so many it is impossible to cross refer them back to the original templates.  I have printed off some curved templates with a minimum 36" radius in both B7 and C10 which are my usual angles.  There are a few outside those sizes, but they are the exception.  I can then get an approximation of the larger radius as the smaller will always be larger than 36".

The other minor complication is that the earlier ones were DOGA Intermediate and the later builds were all 00-SF.  

I shall be ordering some new copper strip from C & L tomorrow, so I can get on with the latest version of ET.  I still have a couple of track bed modules to complete, but once they are built, I can get on with tracklaying and at least get a circuit completed.  Pottering around with all the turnouts I have sold has given me renewed enthusiasm to start building again, so it's been a win/win for everyone.

The Marcway (or unknown build) really need an enthusiast who understands pointwork.  There's nothing wrong that can't be sorted with a little bit of patience, a soldering iron and a couple of gauges.  They are more akin to Peco standards than the free flowing pointwork generated by Templot, so would have a much wider user base.

Just done a quick count up and there are 45 of them including three double slips, a diamond crossing and a three way point.  They were all working on a previous layout, so they could certainly be used again.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 2

Thanks John.  Another two went tonight, but still some to go, mainly right hand curved.  Difficult to give exact radii as each was custom built to suit an ET plan and there have been so many it is impossible to cross refer them back to the original templates.  I have printed off some curved templates with a minimum 36" radius in both B7 and C10 which are my usual angles.  There are a few outside those sizes, but they are the exception.  I can then get an approximation of the larger radius as the smaller will always be larger than 36".

The other minor complication is that the earlier ones were DOGA Intermediate and the later builds were all 00-SF.  

I shall be ordering some new copper strip from C & L tomorrow, so I can get on with the latest version of ET.  I still have a couple of track bed modules to complete, but once they are built, I can get on with tracklaying and at least get a circuit completed.  Pottering around with all the turnouts I have sold has given me renewed enthusiasm to start building again, so it's been a win/win for everyone.

The Marcway (or unknown build) really need an enthusiast who understands pointwork.  There's nothing wrong that can't be sorted with a little bit of patience, a soldering iron and a couple of gauges.  They are more akin to Peco standards than the free flowing pointwork generated by Templot, so would have a much wider user base.

Just done a quick count up and there are 45 of them including three double slips, a diamond crossing and a three way point.  They were all working on a previous layout, so they could certainly be used again.

Glad all is going fine, I would let RMweb members have first option on Marcway turnouts and slips, whilst there are a few on here who like 00sf there are plenty more who like S&C similar to the Peco 00 universal standards, Marcway turnouts can be reconised by the live switches with insulation cuts between the stock and switch rails, sell them in pairs of fours with slips seperate

PS Don't forget the offer

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Merry Christmas Gordon, I hope your young nephew is not too disapointed, not being able too play trains yet again.

I look forward to next years thrilling installments of the Eastwood Town saga. One hopes there is not a repeat of this years trials and tribulations.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your best wishes.  We will have a good Christmas although it will be a sad time for all.  My mother celebrated her 94th birthday just three weeks ago and all was well.  A week later she got up from the dining table at her care home and fell, banging her head heavily in the process.  She was taken to Frimley Park Hospital where they found she had a major bleed on the brain and there was little they could do.  The consultant sadly told us it was an 'end of life' condition, so we moved her back 'home' to her care home for her last days.

She is on various pump driven painkillers etc and cannot have food or drink as she has no swallow reflex. We cannot be there 24 hours a day, so have worked in shifts to sit with her as much as possible. I'm amazed just how strong she must be as it's now nearly a week since her end of life treatment commenced.  Of course this has stopped all major work on ET, but I do dabble now and then to take my mind off what's really important.

One of the things that has always been ticking around my head, is the next stage from copper clad pointwork and John (Hayfield) very kindly set me a bag of bits to build a turnout with real chairs.....

Last night I needed a break, so the bag was opened and an hour later we have a plan with some sleepers...

post-6950-0-57740800-1482391265_thumb.jpg

This is unknown territory for me and just what I needed as a distraction.  Thanks John.... :good:

Of course life goes on and ET will rise again, but bear with me as the next few weeks will be tough.

All the very best to all those those who follow ET.  Have a wonderful Christmas and enjoy every minute with your friends and family.  They are really precious moments and should be cherished.

Morning Gordon, Really really sorry to hear of your news, I hope for all concerned that you can cope with things, but the Railway has quite rightly taken a back seat, and I'm sure I speak for all on here when I say, we would expect nothing else.

All the best, and we're thinking of you and your Family at this time.

I won't say Merry Christmas, but a peaceful one maybe.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gordon, I can really empathise with how things are at the moment having gone through much the same with my own mother before she passed away in November.

I found it really important to give myself a mental break from the stress and constant worry, just an oasis in the desert of it all if you like, so I think that concentrating on something a bit different even if only for an hour or two will be a great help to you.

Edited by PhilH

Thank you so much for your best wishes.  We will have a good Christmas although it will be a sad time for all.  My mother celebrated her 94th birthday just three weeks ago and all was well.  A week later she got up from the dining table at her care home and fell, banging her head heavily in the process.  She was taken to Frimley Park Hospital where they found she had a major bleed on the brain and there was little they could do.  The consultant sadly told us it was an 'end of life' condition, so we moved her back 'home' to her care home for her last days.

She is on various pump driven painkillers etc and cannot have food or drink as she has no swallow reflex. We cannot be there 24 hours a day, so have worked in shifts to sit with her as much as possible. I'm amazed just how strong she must be as it's now nearly a week since her end of life treatment commenced.  Of course this has stopped all major work on ET, but I do dabble now and then to take my mind off what's really important.

One of the things that has always been ticking around my head, is the next stage from copper clad pointwork and John (Hayfield) very kindly set me a bag of bits to build a turnout with real chairs.....

Last night I needed a break, so the bag was opened and an hour later we have a plan with some sleepers...

attachicon.gifDSCF8226.jpg

This is unknown territory for me and just what I needed as a distraction.  Thanks John.... :good:

Of course life goes on and ET will rise again, but bear with me as the next few weeks will be tough.

All the very best to all those those who follow ET.  Have a wonderful Christmas and enjoy every minute with your friends and family.  They are really precious moments and should be cherished.

Given your past efforts no doubt it will turn out a master piece. One tip is to mark on the plan where the slide, bridge and check chairs go.

The main issue many suffer is threading the chairs on standard chairs, even the Exactoscale chairs are not quite as crisp as they were, so filing one end of the rail is important to aid threading. As you have plastic timbers if the odd chair breaks treat it as a half chair, the solvent will stick it solid.

No doubt you will come up with a few ideas of your own

Will be thinking of you and the family like everyone else over the next few weeks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I know there is no good time for a loved to be at the end of life, but I think that too be on the brink over the Christmas period is the worst. A couple of work colleages passed away in the week leading up to Christmas, one last year and one three years ago, it devasted their families.

I hope you and you family have a peacefull Christmas and New Year and your mother isn't suffering.

Gordon, due to my job (I'm a nurse) I've worked extensively in palliative care, and I still find it heartbreaking at times. For this to happen over Christmas adds to the heartbreak.

Sometimes though, there can be some positive memories: my sons christening was on New Years Day (don't know how that came about), but on the same morning my wife's grandmother died, so every New Year's Day I think not only of my son, but also fond memories of his great grandmother.