Hornby Class 50,s

35 Ark Royal

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like these defective 50s could be those rejected during QA and then repaired - to a fashion. Why do I say this? Because it seems that most have gone to one retailer (Rails) not to all. Probably all the repaired models were boxed and shipped together so when distributed by Hornby they have more or less gone to one retailer only. let's hope so anyway.

Hatton's photo suggests not?

Looking good for those who have the first generation Hornby release of R2474(D421). Having seen the latest incarnation of this model, I'll be sticking with mine.

Perhaps, it might be prudent of Hornby to do a recall as a damage limitation exercise.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

Looks like very poor QC from Hornby!!  Are the model shop/ retailers entitled to send them back as not fit for purpose same as we would send them back to the shop where we purchased them from?,  Likewise, Hornby should send them back to the factory as Hornby are customers of the manufacturing plant  or is it a case of Hornby don't care?   From the reports about the class 50 on here and else ware  it is a very poor show for a loco with retail price of £170.00!!!

I was going to purchase one myself as I like the class 50's but looks like I will give this one a miss.

• RMweb Gold

We too have a 100% failure rate on QC. Bits missing or not fitted, cracked cab corners and obvious glue marks where someone has presumably tried to replace parts.

Cracked cab corners implies a problem well known already in Hornby products, are you able to pop the shell off and see if there are any "blemishes" on the chassis?

Interestingly are the ones with the cracked corners the later chassis design, where Hornby have changed the coupling mount and swivel area?

Edited by pheaton

Cracked cab corners implies a problem well known already in Hornby products, are you able to pop the shell off and see if there are any "blemishes" on the chassis?

Interestingly are the ones with the cracked corners the later chassis design, where Hornby have changed the coupling mount and swivel area?

Already boxed up for return to Hornby, so unable to check.

Hornby should do their own QC, and not expect retailers to do the job for them. We have taken enough flack on their behalf in recent times.

• Like 2

Greetings all, an update on the Hornby D400 class 50 debacle! I have just recieved a replacement loco from Rails of Sheffield (who have been really great) and I am delighted to report it appears to be all in order, in fact it is rather stunning with some features I never expected. A full video update will follow in due course.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Greetings all, an update on the Hornby D400 class 50 debacle! I have just recieved a replacement loco from Rails of Sheffield (who have been really great) and I am delighted to report it appears to be all in order, in fact it is rather stunning with some features I never expected. A full video update will follow in due course.

Hopefully mine will not be far behind!

Chris

Please do share the link to your video when it's up

Dear fellow class 50 fans, I have now made my review video of Hornby’s D400

It’s not the video I expected to make due to the dreadful mess the original model was in.

I have to say that Rails of Sheffield were really good about this.

The loco mostly seems to run beautifully! (Running period still ongoing)

It’s a lovely model conceptually.

Hornby have responded to a degree.

I’ll leave it to you to make your mind up.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm really picky over videos as many are badly filmed and poorly edited. However, Mike's video is superb, beautifully filmed and so well presented, giving info on the real thing and a comprehensive and fair review of the model. I also found the explaination of which bufferbeam pipes were which usefull. With the prototype pictures and Mike's own soundtrack, its a far better review than you'll find in any magazine.

Many thanks for making it and sharing it.

• Like 2

I'm really picky over videos as many are badly filmed and poorly edited. However, Mike's video is superb, beautifully filmed and so well presented, giving info on the real thing and a comprehensive and fair review of the model. I also found the explaination of which bufferbeam pipes were which usefull. With the prototype pictures and Mike's own soundtrack, its a far better review than you'll find in any magazine.

Many thanks for making it and sharing it.

Colin, this is probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me online! Cheers mate :) 

Well most of the problems have been covered but this is my experience with it.

First one - small metal shaft fell out of it as I took it out of the box, then I noticed a small crack at one corner of the body shell. That went back and was replaced. It made 9 out of 18 with faults mostly missing buffer.

Second one everything seemed OK so ran it in, then came to fit a decoder. 

After carefully disconnecting the cables I carefully eased up the body at which time one step came off, one of the small orange boxes (no wires) on the end fell off and 2 of the small engine compartment windows fell out. As I picked it up I barely placed any pressure on one of the boxes next to the fuel tank and that came of complete with unbroken fixing pegs.

After fitting the decoder and bits that fell off I decided to give it a run. Normally on my layout I run with 6 coaches sometimes a max of 8 but decided to give it a good try. 

From a standing start with no slipping, 20 coaches no problem. The issue was the coaches pulling themselves off  on the curves.

During this it never exceeded 0.25 amps. 

So after the few issues I'm very pleased with it.

• RMweb Gold

Well most of the problems have been covered but this is my experience with it.

First one - small metal shaft fell out of it as I took it out of the box, then I noticed a small crack at one corner of the body shell. That went back and was replaced. It made 9 out of 18 with faults mostly missing buffer.

Second one everything seemed OK so ran it in, then came to fit a decoder. 

After carefully disconnecting the cables I carefully eased up the body at which time one step came off, one of the small orange boxes (no wires) on the end fell off and 2 of the small engine compartment windows fell out. As I picked it up I barely placed any pressure on one of the boxes next to the fuel tank and that came of complete with unbroken fixing pegs.

After fitting the decoder and bits that fell off I decided to give it a run. Normally on my layout I run with 6 coaches sometimes a max of 8 but decided to give it a good try. 

From a standing start with no slipping, 20 coaches no problem. The issue was the coaches pulling themselves off  on the curves.

During this it never exceeded 0.25 amps. 

So after the few issues I'm very pleased with it.

I've have had a few issues with my second loco and have agreed with Rails to hold on to it but I do fear that when I fit the decoder etc all the steps, buffers and under frame bits will fall off again - they really should be friction fits and I am now in correspondence with Hornby themselves as I now dread finding a gap where a bit should be and having no idea where it fell off!

Chris

• RMweb Premium

The battery Boxes and compressor units on the underframe have always been an issue when trying to remove the body. Ive had 4 Class 50's over the years and on every single one I managed to knock off the something or other from between the bogies. I even loosened the fuel tanks on one of them.

• RMweb Gold

I've have had a few issues with my second loco and have agreed with Rails to hold on to it but I do fear that when I fit the decoder etc all the steps, buffers and under frame bits will fall off again - they really should be friction fits and I am now in correspondence with Hornby themselves as I now dread finding a gap where a bit should be and having no idea where it fell off!

Chris

Or the opposite problem which i have just suffered. Had a running session with about 8 different models (no 50s) and then found a bit that has dropped off one of them. I wish I could work out which one it came from.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Premium

Or the opposite problem which i have just suffered. Had a running session with about 8 different models (no 50s) and then found a bit that has dropped of one of them. I wish I could work out which one it came from.

Roy

Post a photo if you are able to Roy. We may be able to help out on here.

• RMweb Premium

The battery Boxes and compressor units on the underframe have always been an issue when trying to remove the body. Ive had 4 Class 50's over the years and on every single one I managed to knock off the something or other from between the bogies. I even loosened the fuel tanks on one of them.

I've got 46 of them, and every one has had to have something glued back on ! :lol:

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Premium

Please tell me you are planning on completing the fleet!

It would be rude not to !!

Actually, I've got 46 'finished' models, & 4 donors awaiting their turn across the workbench. ;)

Cheers,

Phil.