First Avenue

Rammy

Work continues on the grassy bank at the container storage end.

Paper mâché added and painted green

20130616_125956_zps3414a75a.jpg

Hanging basket liner glued down and left to dry before removing the backing:

20130619_221644_zps68935aa1.jpg

One of the panels has been left loose in this area to create an access panel as this is where the point motor wiring will lead to switched on the back panel. The hanging basket liner grass does a good job of disguising the join:

20130619_221722_zpsafc2c086.jpg

Lichen and a few Hornby tress are then added (not fixed yet) to fill in and take the plainness off the grass bank:

20130619_223735_zpsc5afe6ec.jpg

I will need some more substantial trees in this area to give it some height, but I'm happy so far.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I have made the most of the good weather today and roped in my daughter again to assist with the making of some trees. I had been saving grape stalks a while ago and had forgotten about them until yesterday when I sorted through my tubs of bits. So out they came today, applied PVA glue and some scatter, and I think they have turned out ok for almost free trees.

20130630_135933_zpscf47dbe6.jpg

20130630_171505_zps8062eae8.jpg

20130630_171545_zps33b38ce1.jpg

Dave

That's great - many thanks.

Any pictures always appreciated, but that one is especially great as it shows an angle I haven't had before. Those locos really are close to the back of the fuelling shed aren't they. I was worried when I was looking at my layout that I hadn't left enough room, but it doesn't look like I need to.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I grabbed a little time in the shed over the weekend and tonight and decided it was about time I thought about installing the point motors. Yes I know I really should have done this before I started the ballasting, etc but I just got carried away before and forgot!

Anyway, I have some Seep motors left over from my Chadwood layout, a new CDU kit which I have built, and a spare 12V power supply. However after installing the first point motor and fiddling around for ages in this heat, I have discovered the point motors will not flick across. The just don't seem to have enough force. I have tried changing the power supply and using the 15V AUX output on the Elite controller in case 12V wasn't enough, but this still didn't work. I swapped the CDU over to the one I had used succesfully on Chadwood - still no joy. I have made sure there is no ballast or anything obstructing the point operation and have even tried the whole setup on the next point but with the same results.

It seems as though the springs on the Peco points are just too strong. Has anybody else had similar problems or have any ideas?

After thinking I may get somewhere tonight, I have just come away thoroughly frustrated.

Any help would be appreciated folks!

Many thanks

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I've powered CDU's (Gaugemaster) from 24vAC before now. That gives them a good kick.

However, I would always go for Peco motors directly connected to Peco points. I have a simple method for filling the gaping hole, but unfortunately, that's too late for you now...... Use the mounting bases.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Dave.

I've used SEEP PM1's with a Gaugemaster CDU powered by the 15v AC output from my controller. Some motors are wired together so one switch fires two points. I've not had a problem with this setup.

Cheers

Sam

I did a little more experimenting tonight to find a solution to this problem. I built a mock up with a spare off cut of board and fitted a spare point on top. Not surprisingly I got the same result - the point did not flick across. At least this proved that it wasn't a problem with the ballasting or painting I had done.

After a bit of playing around, I have finally found a solution. I have removed the spring built into the Peco point. The motor then works perfectly. So after all that, the motor didn't have enough power to throw the point due to the spring. The motor seems to hold the point one way or the other without the spring, so hopefully things should be ok.

Has anybody else had to do this?

I will experiment with a larger power supply when I find one, but if not then the may e the way forward.

Dave

I managed to get hold of an old 19V laptop power supply yesterday from work and tried it today. It throws the points much better and think it will allow me to leave the springs in after all.

Oh well, you live and learn!

On a separate note, I have spent the afternoon playing Train Simulator 2013 after downloading it for the bargain price of £6.99 off Steam. Its a one day only price, so hurry up and get it if anybody else wants it. The Class 66 is on offer too so I may have to download that add-on too!

Dave

• 3 months later...

Wow, is it really nearly 4 months since I last touched my layout?

I have been rather distracted over the summer with DIY around the house and enjoying what seemed to be a fairly good summer weather wise. I also got distracted by finally treating myself and buying a RepRapPro Mendel 3D printer kit. Much to my surprise, after a few teething problems, I have got it printing really well and reliably. Not sure it will be much use for railway modelling but I am enjoying using it for other things.

20131002_225118_zpsbafa432b.jpg

Anyway, today I decided it was time to get on with some railway modelling so I had a quick visit to the shed to decide what needed doing next. I chose to make a start on the refuelling point. Thanks to photos that you guys had previously posted I have a reasonable idea of what it should look like. I bought some Wills box profile quite a while ago for this project and I also have a few packs of Evergreen I-beams. What I wasn't sure about when I had previously thought about doing this was how I would model the 2 large green tanks. So now this has been made easier! After a short while on Sketchup the tanks where modelled and sent to the 3D printer. Sizes are all a bit of a guess, but they seem to match the photos about right.

20131117_175831_zps62fd09bb.jpg

Now to start some gluing and painting, as well as keeping the momentum going to finally move my layout along.

Thanks for looking

Dave

Welcome back Dave and the fueling point looks good.

Very impressive 3d printer, but I can't quite gauge the scale, how large is it?

Phil

Me too. At first glance I thought the printer was some kind of running machine!

lol

Sorry guys, that probably wasn't the best photo to give you an idea of scale. Try this one of it in place on the Utility room worktop:

f5e6d8bfd71c291422b3702609b9f0c0_zpsef23

It prints around a 150mm cube maximum. Plenty big enough for anything I want to do with it at the moment.

• RMweb Premium

That's a very cool piece of kit.

Size of object good too. Would be too small for my idea of what I'd like 3d printed, I'm thinking of at some point starting an n gauge layout of ribblehead station and viaduct at scale. I'd love to 3d print ribblehead viaduct but at 8.5 foot approx in n that would be some 3d printer needed to do it.

Archived