Foxcote New Pit - formerly Highbury Colliery

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jerry,

Looking forward to seeing the layout again after seeing it at the Taunton members day last year.

I will be able to spend longer looking at it rather than working on my own.

I may even bring a loco down but I'm sure Alan will tell you all about it when you see him. It caused a little stir at Ally Pally

See you Sunday

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

am hopeful of some exotic and unusual guest locos!

....best get some OHE rigged up then Jerry...subject to Kim's prior approval of course...:O

Have a good show and enjoy your weekend!

• RMweb Gold

I may even bring a loco down but I'm sure Alan will tell you all about it when you see him. It caused a little stir at Ally Pally

See you Sunday

Cheers

Simon

Please do - I like causing a stir!!

Jerry

No need for OHLE for this one - it's a diesel, and there's the clue about the stir it caused! And what's wrong with BR Blue? I can never decide whether the 76s looked best in blue or the original black. My next two will be in black to match the 'Tommy' I built last year. ANd finally, I bet I can have Kim converted by the end of the weekend!

Alan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It was lovely to see and briefly operate Highbury at York, but I really must get something completely inappropriate converted to 2mm to run when Jerry isn't looking.....where's my XC Voyager.....;)

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Many thanks for letting me play trains and please say thank you to Kim for explaining everything.

Hopefully next time I will get the chance to shunt the freight.

Hope the rest of the show went ok and see you both at railex

Thanks again

Cheers

Simon

I really must get something completely inappropriate converted to 2mm to run when Jerry isn't looking.....where's my XC Voyager.....;)

I really wouldn't worry about getting 'caught'. It would seem Jerry actively encourages this kind of behaviour and the uploading of photos for those that couldn't make the show.

• RMweb Gold

I really wouldn't worry about getting 'caught'. It would seem Jerry actively encourages this kind of behaviour and the uploading of photos for those that couldn't make the show.

We certainly do! We managed to tap into a particularly rich vein of guest locos with some real gems taking a trip through North Somerset - pictures to follow.

Got back from York a couple of hours ago having stayed on to do the tourist thing. We had a great weekend, many thanks to all our guest operators.

Jerry and Kim

Edited by queensquare

• RMweb Gold

Firstly, apologise for taking so long to get any pictures up but Kim and I stayed on in York for a couple of days after the show and then had Trainwest in Melksham the following weekend with my good friends John Greenwood and Phil Coppleston staying for a weekend of playing trains with Wenfordbridge.

Anyway York was a superb show with ourselves and Copenhagen Fields flying the 2FS flag. The habit of having guest locos on Highbury which can come out and do a turn if I think there is somebody out front who would appreciate the chance to see something different and not moan about its ' inapropriteness' is, I'm glad to say, gaining momentum and York turned up some real gems.

On saturday we had Tim's MR Well tank which made a fine sight heading the Frome market cattle train. After lunch, Richard Wilson arrived with a couple of beautifuly finished MR coaches.

post-1074-0-72033100-1334663992_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-11143500-1334664032_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-48895600-1334664086_thumb.jpg

to be continued........

Jerry

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

First thing sunday morning Wing Commander Watson turned up for a quick reccy before the public were let in........

post-1074-0-94746500-1334675502_thumb.jpg

Alan Whitehouse of Little MSW fame came along to help for the day and brought with him a couple of locos. There had been rumours that we might see a Tommy on Highbury but that would have been silly(!!), instead we had a pair of ex-GC heavy freight locos which looked very much at home on the coal trains - I think the 2-8-0's are particularly handsome. Both looked and ran beautifully, unfortunately my attempts to get descent photos of plain black locos using just the layout lighting wasn't entirely successful.

post-1074-0-42058000-1334675878_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-26219900-1334675940_thumb.jpg

more from monday to come.........

Jerry

ps. see what happens when north Somerset meets north London here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52386-copenhagen-fields/page__st__25

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see some proper freight locos on Highbury ;) Are they John's work by any chance?

Simon

They are John's work - you can just tell.

Alan said neither of them had turned a wheel for a long time but both purred along without a hitch.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Monday saw a couple of locos that were a long way from their normal stomping ground. In the morning we had what almost amounts to 2mm loco royalty in the form of Tim's stunning Baldwin. It has been said that it is probably the best 2mm loco ever built and it would be difficult to argue with that. On CF it merges into the vastness and the quality can be overlooked. On the colliery it was at eye level and right under your nose.

post-1074-0-34281800-1334699990_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-61111000-1334700044_thumb.jpg

In the afternoon we had Richard Wilson's superb B12 'Hitchiker', a strange looking beast with what looks like an old Ascot heater perched on top but I do like that livery. Richard said it was a passenger engine so we rostered it to the North Somerset Light's crack train!!!

post-1074-0-60333500-1334700311_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-82538400-1334700345_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 11

Lovely shots, that horse drawn carriage is awesome!

P.S. Jerry - I have just bought a small 2mm finescale layout (work in progress) so will be badgering you for advice at the next Gas Cupboard meet!!

• RMweb Gold

Its like the Rainhill cavalcade. Lovely shots Jerry.

Don

Thanks Don, it did feel a bit like that. There were lots of appreciative noises from the punters as well as its not always easy to get up close to really study these locos.

Lovely shots, that horse drawn carriage is awesome!

P.S. Jerry - I have just bought a small 2mm finescale layout (work in progress) so will be badgering you for advice at the next Gas Cupboard meet!!

Cheers Rob. Ask away - best I bring the membership forms with me next thursday!

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

My final post in this little run comes from Trainwest in Melksham last weekend were I was helping John Greenwood with Wenfordbridge. I know this is a Highbury thread but John doesn't go near a computer, let alone RMWeb so I feel justified.

The first couple of shots show the NSLR passenger train on a freight only branch in Cornwall - well John was responsible for the Shay on the colliery at Truro! The Well tank is now 40 years old and originally had a home made motor. It, and its two sisters. now sport 8mm Faulhaber's, 125:1 gearing and CT chips - they run beautifully.

This will hopefully be the last time the coaches will be seen in the bare metal. They will soon be entering the paintshop as I have finally decided on a colour scheme - tired teak with simple yellow lining.

The final picture is a fairly recent addition to the stud and my current favourite. The pannier version of these little saddle tanks (John has built one of these as well) were used on the B&W in its later years but the saddle tanks never were but its good to see I'm not the only one who is happy to bend historical fact a bit! A really lovely little loco, I shunted with it all weekend and it performed faultlessly.

post-1074-0-07521600-1334737534_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-09037400-1334737568_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-05520000-1334737624_thumb.jpg

Jerry

post-1074-0-03183000-1334737483_thumb.jpg

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 5

Great photos Jerry. For those who don't know I can't clain all the credit for the B12 Hitchiker. The model was constructed by the late Geoff Balfour, and required finishing off really. I added a few bits'n'bobs, and built a working chassis (Geoff's chassis would never have been a runner unfortunately). The paint job was by courtesy of Ian Rathbone, and very handsome it looks too. :locomotive:

It has been mentioned elsewhere on RMWeb, but it would be really great to discover the whereabouts of his armoured train, which was loaned to the Beverely Tank(?) Museum.

• Like 1