Cornish clay

• RMweb Premium

Presumably one rake is usually to/from/or at Fowey while the other is being loaded at Rocks or Parkandillack? The third is stored at St Blazey.

Do they rotate wagons into and out of store or are the stored ones all non serviceable?

There was a good article about the operation in I believe the last issue of Rail.  One interesting thing that this picture has made sense of is that there are always 2 extra wagons left at Fowey.  These act as reach wagons during part of the shunting, I think so that the loco doesn't go over the weigh bridge.  I presume that these are the two that are at one end of the 66.

Jamie

The two 'reach' wagons are indeed those coupled to the left of the loco, these being high numbered HAA converts that havn't actually carried clay for many years. (you can see in the photo they have no roof). As for the stored examples, there are 30+ in long term store in the north end sidings of St.Blazey that have been there since the current contract started nearly two years ago now.

Presumably one rake is usually to/from/or at Fowey while the other is being loaded at Rocks or Parkandillack? The third is stored at St Blazey.

Do they rotate wagons into and out of store or are the stored ones all non serviceable?

There is always a rake at Goonbarrow. On the days the train runs there it arrives with empties and takes the loaded.

When the train runs to Parkandillack/Treviscoe it arrives with empties and has to wait for the same set to be loaded.

• RMweb Gold

Liskeard in 1995, Several hundred more clay shots in my Flickr Western region collection, click on the link below and then on the relative Icon for each album.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/collections/72157626619390732/

Ernie

Oh yes, those were the days, alright!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Goodness, 2015 and still the occasional surprise lurks around the corner. Jan 26th was an exceptional working in Cornwall. 

66176 failed at Treverrin tunnel with 6G08, assistance came in the form of FGW's 57603 driven by Phil Jones of Penzance. With Darrin Hart conducting - the train was withdrawn and dropped off in St Blazey Yard. Here's the spectacular sight of the class 57 about to cut off and return West to work 1A40 later in the evening.

post-2613-0-48688100-1422390811_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-03475200-1422390823_thumb.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for that link, Kevin. What a  lovely collection of pictures!  Beautifully taken colour pictures of blue diesels and clayhoods and the Bodmin and Wentford bridge route. Quite a rare subject matter, I would say, but fairly comprehensively covered here! A real pleasure to view.

• 3 weeks later...

March 13th 2015 and a lovely sunny morning until around 9.30. A new view to visit of Tywardreath near Par has sprung up as a result of some hedge trimming. The famous class 37 days saw no trees at this point along the railway to Treesmill. How times change.

post-2613-0-78524200-1426333517_thumb.jpeg

Then a visit to Carne Point for the arrival. High tide, and some stunning light. 

post-2613-0-22894400-1426333532_thumb.jpeg

• 1 month later...

The mostly disused down clay sidings at Lostwithiel are having their annual de-veg. When I passed by earlier a team were busy with strimmers, chainsaws etc. 

Having spoken to one of them whilst he was having a break, he said they were asked to clear them so they can be used by ballast trains in the not too distant future.

Wait and see on that I think, unless anyone know of any significant engineering works coming up in the area.

I have heard Colas Rail may be involved in some Cornish engineering works. 

Certainly it is looking a lot tidier although it is not finished yet.

• RMweb Gold

The mostly disused down clay sidings at Lostwithiel are having their annual de-veg. When I passed by earlier a team were busy with strimmers, chainsaws etc. 

Having spoken to one of them whilst he was having a break, he said they were asked to clear them so they can be used by ballast trains in the not too distant future.

Wait and see on that I think, unless anyone know of any significant engineering works coming up in the area.

I have heard Colas Rail may be involved in some Cornish engineering works. 

Certainly it is looking a lot tidier although it is not finished yet.

I wish that this were so. I can check, of course, but these sidings are DB Schenker infrastructure, and only see occasional use at the moment when the RailVac needs stabling in that part of Cornwall.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived