Cornish clay

• 2 weeks later...

I'm playing catch up having been away from the railways for about 20 years, but back then the industry in ECC hands seemed vibrant, has the demand fallen or have Imerys got a different outlook.....I'm sure this must have been discussed already perhaps I better go and have a look :laugh: :laugh:

There are certainly fewer trains than there used to be and the number of origin/destination points has diminished but the local trips running down from the Parkandillack branch and Goonbarrow to Fowey docks are much longer than they once were, often loading up to 38 wagons. As well as the local clay trips there are also mainline workings with bogie wagons, which can be seen during daylight hours. So while there isn't the variety there used to be, it's still a fascinating (and in many ways unique) rail freight operation in fantastic scenery and well worth a visit.

I'm playing catch up having been away from the railways for about 20 years, but back then the industry in ECC hands seemed vibrant, has the demand fallen or have Imerys got a different outlook.....I'm sure this must have been discussed already perhaps I better go and have a look :laugh: :laugh:

Demand almost certainly has fallen; the ceramics industry in Staffordshire is a pale shadow of its former self, for example. However, Imerys will also have been supplying former ECC customers within mainland Europe from local sources, as well as supplying some (such as the paper/board mill at Irvine) with material sourced from low-cost supplies in the developing world.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Beats my humble effort but I do, at last, have a sunlit Golant shot after trying intermittently for over 30 years.  I tried the high-level location but couldn't quite get the right view so came back down to the road.

185-L.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Beats my humble effort but I do, at last, have a sunlit Golant shot after trying intermittently for over 30 years.  I tried the high-level location but couldn't quite get the right view so came back down to the road.

Hardly humble, that's rather good (unsure about the pink colour on the boat though :scratchhead: ). Didn't realise you're over here at present!

• RMweb Premium

Been over since August and for the next two weeks.  The visit to Golant was a lucky chance.  I was trying a new (to me) main line location at Bodithiel only to find the service in disarray because of an incident at Slough.  Rather than wait over two hours for the next train I opted to head down to Golant just in case .........

• RMweb Gold

Whilst in no way comparable to the efforts of other members of this parish, this is the only photo I have (or am ever likely to have) that fits the thread title so here goes... I don't know the exact date but wagon type and loco livery must date it to about 1985. A thoroughly miserable day sees 37207 heading west through Liskeard with clay hoods for Fowey. I could see an up train was also due and as the 37 came into view I could hear a 50 approaching behind me. They were going to pass each other in the station so I decided to snap the 37. Just as I did so, 50041 roared past on a rake of Mk1s.

post-17370-0-55678800-1412342377_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps more so than the pretty sunlit shots the above shows workaday Cornwall as it so often is.  A pictorial record of one moment in time when few others might have bothered.  For that - and for showing us a classic view in typical weather - thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, 

This is my first post although I have been looking at this site for a number of years and love some of the images that have been posted over that time. Anyway I have been scanning some of my old prints and thought I would share a few. My camera was not the best but I have some images that are worth posting. Here is my first of a class 37 passing Par on an eastbound clay. No date or loco identity.   

post-24346-0-25803200-1413918329_thumb.jpg

Hello everyone, 

This is my first post although I have been looking at this site for a number of years and love some of the images that have been posted over that time. Anyway I have been scanning some of my old prints and thought I would share a few. My camera was not the best but I have some images that are worth posting. Here is my first of a class 37 passing Par on an eastbound clay. No date or loco identity.   

A popular first post, very nice.

It could be 37416 which was outbased at St Blazey and wore that livery, perhaps 1994 - 96 (ish)

cheers

Last one for now. All on stop at Par as there are problems with the points!

PPE regulations weren't so tight in those days. One chap's got orange trousers which weren't compulsory then but no HV vest which was. The others got nothing PPE wise but is wearing a red shirt which was banned at that time.

• 1 month later...

Archived