Cornish clay

Well, it's good to see there's still something moving beyond the gaping chasm at Dawlish....

The Stoke traffic is a concern though. Unless stocks are high or alternative sources are available a long distance road operation will be needed. Hopefully the tonnage/distance is against this being long term viable.

Also has implications for other current/potential freight flows.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

That is actually quite tame and neutral looking for a clay lagoon! suppose it depends on the light conditions

Actually, I think Craig shot that in Iceland...and photoshopped in the clay works above...:jester:

BTW, is it just me or is the good captain's signature text below expanding?...soon he will be posting and it will take a whole page of a thread up :D

• 2 weeks later...

I think the mast adds to the view :O

It really compliments the power lines and wind turbines!

I find railways fit into the landscape in a way that other man made structures don't, especially if structures and ballast are produced from local materials. If I had my way GSM-R towers would be constructed with weathering steel, they'd sit much better in the landscape that way.

It's still a lovely view though!

Cheers,

Jack

I see what you mean. Photographers of old would have moaned about intrusive telegraph poles ruining their high shots. I try to combine the Duchy's beauty with the railways these days - rather than the traditional 3/4 train view. Anything man made can look chunky. Probably why my Carne Point arrivals shot is one of my favourite shots anywhere at the moment. 

• RMweb Premium

I'd rather one mast in a not-too-intrusive position which arguably adds to the view than 20 b****y windmills on a hillside which now litter Cornwall - with good reason admittedly - and intrude into too many scenic panoramas.  Nice work Craig, as usual.

Tiz one of the prettiest spots in Gods Country. I was Loswithiel end this morning for this sequence. 

First shot of 6G06 on the main line descending from Milltown viaduct. 

post-2613-0-84692100-1395403465_thumb.jpeg

The train then runs around at Lostwithiel and then joins the branch, here's the train running along the meandering river just out of Lostwithiel. 

post-2613-0-52446900-1395403481_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-48777700-1395403449_thumb.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A long train of "mainline" NACCO wagons headed through Plymouth towards Cornwall today. Hopefully to restart the Stoke traffic.

Good news. Sounds like the rake that was stabled in Riverside Yard for 2 months.... although there were some there this morning, probably loaded ones for 6M60 tonight...

Archived