Cornish clay

• 2 months later...

Morning Craig,

Just found your thread, thanks to your mention on Paul's 'Kernow Today' and I'm truly glad to have done so for the reasons I mentioned often on the now expunged 'Cornwall Today' thread! I honestly didn't need another one to follow, but this is so interesting, I'll be checking in daily and although busy with medical matters for a couple of days, I propose to catch up soon so apologies one and all for a rash of ratings!!

Thanks for taking the trouble to post all your wonderful images Craig as It looks like I may not be able to go to Cornwall again due to illness, and having lived there in the seventies and visited at least once most years since, I greatly miss it. I must add that the sagacious input of your other 'followers' also adds a welcome dimension and so thanks to them as well!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock. You're welcome and thanks for the encouragement. I just wish I'd been out in the class 37 years, though I only got the Digital SLR in 2012 which captured the vista style shots well. 

Always looking for the sun / traction / opportunity when it arises. Could with 66078 being replaced though - but from 1/4 mile away it doesn't really make any difference. 

• RMweb Premium

The mostly disused down clay sidings at Lostwithiel are having their annual de-veg. When I passed by earlier a team were busy with strimmers, chainsaws etc. 

Having spoken to one of them whilst he was having a break, he said they were asked to clear them so they can be used by ballast trains in the not too distant future.

Wait and see on that I think, unless anyone know of any significant engineering works coming up in the area.

I have heard Colas Rail may be involved in some Cornish engineering works. 

Certainly it is looking a lot tidier although it is not finished yet.

I wish that this were so. I can check, of course, but these sidings are DB Schenker infrastructure, and only see occasional use at the moment when the RailVac needs stabling in that part of Cornwall.

There is some relaying kicking off in the Lostwithiel area around about week 24-25. four thousand steel sleepers so it will require ballast trains at some stage. Plymouth CAPEX job.

Slightly shorter than the first installment...!

Afternoon Tim,

I'm truly fed up that I missed the end of the 'spy' story, as I think I was in hospital when it disappeared from under your signature! Sorry to mention this from such an old post, but I'm currently trawling through Craig's excellent thread from the start!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Morning Craig,

I've just completed a trawl through the thread from page 1 and so I have to apologise to you and lots of your followers for all the 'historic' ratings.

Wow, is all I can think to say at the moment - what a lovely history capsule this thread would make, charting the transport aspect of the China clay industry in recent years. It truly is beneficial to have so many knowledgeable followers, as well as yourself, with inside knowledge of today's railway scene in Cornwall. Some lovely humour in there too, and the whole experience has left me feeling very nostalgic!

Your mention of the '37' era prompted me to think, I would have preferred it to have been much earlier, but as you probably picked up from other threads, I was reared for some years in railway accommodation at Hurlford shed 67B in the fifties, and that is the period wherein my heart lies. I wouldn't wish premature ageing on you however, and I'm now going to have to promote this thread to a 'daily must visit'!

The image on page 5, post #107, should be seen by any '66' lover, and fan of Cornwall - it is superb, and the Cornish light somehow special as the artist's in St.Ives and Newlyn have taught us for years.

Thanks again for sharing all this with us, it is like having a good book to read!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon Tim,

I'm truly fed up that I missed the end of the 'spy' story, as I think I was in hospital when it disappeared from under your signature! Sorry to mention this from such an old post, but I'm currently trawling through Craig's excellent thread from the start!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock, you didn't miss the end, because the story isn't yet over!

Morning Craig,

I've just completed a trawl through the thread from page 1 and so I have to apologise to you and lots of your followers for all the 'historic' ratings.

Wow, is all I can think to say at the moment - what a lovely history capsule this thread would make, charting the transport aspect of the China clay industry in recent years. It truly is beneficial to have so many knowledgeable followers, as well as yourself, with inside knowledge of today's railway scene in Cornwall. Some lovely humour in there too, and the whole experience has left me feeling very nostalgic!

Your mention of the '37' era prompted me to think, I would have preferred it to have been much earlier, but as you probably picked up from other threads, I was reared for some years in railway accommodation at Hurlford shed 67B in the fifties, and that is the period wherein my heart lies. I wouldn't wish premature ageing on you however, and I'm now going to have to promote this thread to a 'daily must visit'!

The image on page 5, post #107, should be seen by any '66' lover, and fan of Cornwall - it is superb, and the Cornish light somehow special as the artist's in St.Ives and Newlyn have taught us for years.

Thanks again for sharing all this with us, it is like having a good book to read!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock - yes I did get a surprise to see so many likes when I recently logged in. I'm glad the thread has brought so much pleasure. I'm very lucky to be in the know for workings, and the forecast. I only tend to do A1 weather days - and throw in a igh tide the river is well worth a visit. It really is a magical place, the gentle sounds of the river, lapping of the water clinking of the rigging on the masts and sea birds is a real tonic from my usual life of charging around.

The train is the icing on the cake, and sadly it's all over by 9am, and back home for breakfast most days. But like the Hayle Wharves daily movements, and then the oil to Penzance, I will keep at it whilst I can.

• 2 weeks later...

The Railways of Devon thread interestingly lists Class 40 workings into the West country over the years. As well as the usual railtours and excursions there is mention of 40028 working a freight to Parkandillack on 3rd or 13th December 1978!

Is anyone able to expand on this or provide photographic evidence?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97748-devon-diesel-era-photo-record/page-8

• 2 weeks later...
A recent visit to Parkandillack with my railway hat on! The trains are scarce at Parkandillack these days, the furthest clay loading plant from St Blazey. 22 CDAs from 38 were loaded at the store on 8th September, with the remainder loaded at nearby Treviscoe. It's a laborious procedure too, with only 6 at a time in the loading platform - so plenty of shunting action is observed.

The sun shone, and work on the nearby controversial Incinerator provides plenty of interest a diminutive class 66 shunting among the industrial landscape. 

Photography isn't easy here, with the sun high above the loader during the middle of the day, but I couldn't resist the 66 nestling away in the loading area. 

post-2613-0-05517000-1441907378_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-54894200-1441907429_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-26465800-1441907438_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-97010600-1441907449_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-32379300-1441907460_thumb.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I thought I'd kick start this thread.

Week ending 12th Aug saw some moves cancelled and short formed due to the store at Carne Point being full. This is not unusual in the peak Summer with demand low. An upshot of this was the 6P25 late Friday evening working being utilised to return two crippled wagons back to St Blazey yard. This worked back very early in the late afternoon, and provided a rare Golant causeway Up direction working. It's been 4 years since I tried this shot. 6023 was pictured at Golant, and 35 mins later at Treesmill having run around at Lostwithiel rather promptly!

post-2613-0-21273100-1471088936_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-50591800-1471088947_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know of a source of photos of clay works and trains from the 1900-30 period?

Marc

Googling Fowey china clay train brings up a few.

There are a few in John Vaughan's excellent History of Cornish China Clay Trains.

I have both of John Vaughan's books there are a few photos in each of them that are pre WW2 but most of them are post 1947. I'm trying to put a version of my "Scratchy Bottom" together but as part of the LSWR (B&W Section) circ 1919 so I can have ECC and its constituent company wagon mixed up in one train. 

Marc

• 1 month later...

Archived