rails of sheffield

david heath

Hello, C R!

Although it is quite difficult to follow a post seemingly written in one sentence, without any punctuation, it seems that one reason for the delayed receipt of your order was that Rails had been let down by their supplier. This is hardly the fault of Rails - they can only supply what they have in stock! However, there have been a few issues, over the years, with Rails adverts appearing to show new stock as available even before it has been released by the manufacturers. Their printed adverts do now clearly state that in-stock items will be despatched very promptly (and they usually are), whilst orders for items not in stock will be dealt with as items become available.

As far as I can determine from your post, when you contacted Rails they said they hoped to have the points at the end of last week, and in fact they did better than this, because you received them on Saturday!

You haven't told us at what time on Saturday 27th August you ordered on-line, nor at what time on 1st September they sent you the e-mail explaining that only part of your order was actually in stock, but it seems to me that they have kept you as well informed as they could, and delivered your order promptly once the items were in stock. As we are considering hobby items, rather than urgently needed business or medical items, etc. it's rather hard to expect more than this, I think! As ever, other suppliers are available, but with different prices!

I'm writing only as a well-satisfied Rails continuing customer.

Richard

well i apolojise for being dyslexic and sharing my experience of first time ordering from them and when i ordered online there website said there was plenty in stock and they where the cheapest with out going mail order i feel i dont need to go in to great detail about specific times of emails also the was no email saying it had been dispatched from them i feel if i hadnt of chased them up last week the would not of let me known about my item i will leave it at that as i have shared my experice of ordering and i feel your trying to create a arguement about it in my honest opinion i would contact before placing a order to make sure they have suitable stock in

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have used Rails on many occasions (both on-line and E.Bay) and have had no problems. Shop can be difficult and time consuming at times but I always get there in the end. They do seem to be always busy on the PC and telephone. Shop is quite small - but interesting.

No1. Kato.

• 2 weeks later...

Overall very happy with the service Rails of Sheffield provide but I have experienced items showing as being available on the website but then advised they were out of stock and they were still not in stock over a week later, however there was no problem with cancelling or amending the order.

• RMweb Gold

My experience is much the same as Xerces - I had a problem with a fast moving newly released item being shown as available when it wasn't, but to be fair this had changed in just a few hours as they flew off the shelves - absolutely no problem when I phoned and asked to change the order from the one that was now on back-order to something else.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

I placed my first order with RoS on thursday night and the item was received today, excellent service and I'll certainly use them again.

I'd previously used them for eBay items and was satisfied on those transactions too.

• 1 month later...

Haven't ordered anything from them before, but i have been to the shop. Its good but when i went the shelves were a little empty (not their fault, lack of stuff from any suppliers as it was February) the second hand section was a little disappointing but you cannot have everything. Will be however, buying either one or both of the LMS twins when they are released.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

On a now-closed parallel thread, someone was asking if Rails were up and running. A quick look at their website shows updated new products for 7.1.2012, so some part of their organisation has clearly survived the festive season!

I've only ordered from rails once(woodland scenics trackbed and rail joiners).arrived quickly and well packaged.dissapointed with p&p costs though.£4,00 for a very light package

cheers

alan

• RMweb Premium

I've only ordered from rails once(woodland scenics trackbed and rail joiners).arrived quickly and well packaged.dissapointed with p&p costs though.£4,00 for a very light package

cheers

alan

One of the issues I have had with Rails is just that - the shipping costs are way above what others would charge and sometimes not reflected in the stamped value of the item. I drew a line at being asked to pay £17 (regular airmail, not signed-for, UK to Australia) for a single Bachmann carriage which competitors typically ship for between £2 - £4.

One or two of their eBay store items have come in with something like £3 in stamp value when £10 was paid. I know and accept that some of that also covers time and packing costs but I no longer make regular use of Rails for that and other reasons, though have not struck them off my "list" entirely.

• 1 month later...

I placed an order today with Rails, my first for over a year, the order was placed simply due to the fact that the 2 items I required were just in the process of being delivered to retailers from Bachmann and Rails recvd their dely. late this afternoon.

I found their service to be excellent and the assistant very helpful, she arranged to 'phone me as soon as they received the delivery into their premises, this occured at approx 3-30pm, the order was placed for Saturday delivery, I will report further if the delivery is recvd. on time.

Incidentally whilst browing their website I noted that some of their prices are very competitve indeed and as a result a few Farish Art Deco buildings were added to the order, this may parhaps give a clue to what the other 2 items are!!

My Rails order arrived early today Saturday at 0830!! Just 16.5 HOURS after placing it!!

Very well packed........ every item's carton individually bubblewrapped!

Incidentally I paid £20 less for the order ( 7 items) than some other mail order retailers web prices...... AND Rails do not charge a 'premium' for Saturday delivery... ( one retailer charges £12 for Sat dely!!)

Edited by Stevelewis

Placed an order with them yesterday for a Derby Lightweight DMU in green with yellow whiskers livery - now I wonder where I might run that? :lol:

XF

I am sure you will find a place for it its a nice item, Just the lights are rather TOOOOO bright for the period it depicts ( as I remeber the DLWs the interior lights were quite dim and the headlights not much brighter than the steam locos oil lamps)

• RMweb Premium

My Rails order arrived early today Saturday at 0830!! Just 16.5 HOURS after placing it!!

Very well packed........ every item's carton individually bubblewrapped!

Incidentally I paid £20 less for the order ( 7 items) than some other mail order retailers web prices...... AND Rails do not charge a 'premium' for Saturday delivery... ( one retailer charges £12 for Sat dely!!)

Good grief "see royal mail can get things right" :O :locomotive: some times. :sarcastic:

Terry

Good grief "see royal mail can get things right" :O :locomotive: some times. :sarcastic:

Terry

Actually Royal Mail get it right almost all the time for me I send approx 25 items a week and receive around the same number by RM ( This is work related) I cannot remember the last time there was a problem!

• 1 month later...

A quick question for North American members in this group, that have recently ordered something from RoS, How much has RoS charged for shipping?

Cheers & thanks.

Andy,

Burlington, Ont.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Was staying in the Peak District last week and thought I would try and do a diversion to Sheffield to see this shop, as I had only dealt with them by mail order from them previously.

Turned out to be a great idea.

Staff were friendly, plenty of stock to be had and easy parking outside the door.