rails of sheffield

david heath

I ordered  from Rails  yesterday  at  around  2-00PM  ( Friday Jan 10th '14) specifying normal delivery as the order  was not urgently  required. 

Order  delivered  this  morning  Saurdayt.   at 9-30AM

Good  service  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I ordered  from Rails  yesterday  at  around  2-00PM  ( Friday Jan 10th '14) specifying normal delivery as the order  was not urgently  required. 

Order  delivered  this  morning  Saurdayt.  

Would it be the 2 BIL,Steve? Be interesting to have your opinion of it.Despite all that's been said about it,I am more than happy with the two I have,which I run in multiple very happily indeed.

Order  delivered  this  morning  Saurdayt.  

Would it be the 2 BIL,Steve? Be interesting to have your opinion of it.Despite all that's been said about it,I am more than happy with the two I have,which I run in multiple very happily indeed.

Yes  its   a (nother) 2 -Bil  they  are  OK  , not  as  good  as  Bachmann Multiple units in my opinion  (  no lights etc),   Like  the  5-BEL  the connections to the motor bogie  are quite fragile, with tiny soldered connections whhich can fail, we had  2 Bels on which this occured 

Just noticed the guy in the grey top in the shop video clip on their website is one of my former Track Section Managers - worked with me for 4 years and I never knew he was a modeller.................mind you I never told anyone there I played trains either.................  :no:

• 1 year later...

Just had a delivery arrive from Rails Vault, which is an auction win,

If only everyone would pack items so well there would be no breakages in the post.

Arrived 3 days after winning it, but free postage and notified next day (won during the evening) of posting

The description was very good as were the photos, if anything understating the quality of the item

Happy with the price as within my maximum bid

All in all very pleased with both the item and service, which is consistent with other items previously bought from them.

• 4 months later...

I just wanted to wish all the Staff at Rails a Happy New Year.

On Christmas morning I was browsing E-Bay and saw a Loco I fancied, I put in a bid thinking I would get an answer maybe Boxing Day or Saturday, BUT within half an Hour I got a YES from them. I don't know when it will be dispatched, but I don't really care to much as that for me was way beyond the call of duty.

THANK YOU RAILS.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Ordering and delivery always very good, some hidden gems on their website , Bachmann class 47's in res/intercity/rail freight distribution in weathered condition, a rails special I guess, but could well be factory specials either way the one I purchased is very nice,and put to bed any fears that I had over the web photo not being representative of what you get.Obviously priced a bit more than the non weathered models our friends in Liverpool sell.

• 1 month later...

About two weeks ago I purchased through ebay's "buy it now" a Peco 7mm bullhead turnout (switch/points) from Rails.  I've bought from Rails' ebay listings before and was very pleased with the transactions. While the price was very attractive, what sealed the deal for me was that prior to purchasing I had asked a couple of questions about the product being that I don't have much knowledge of "British O" (I am in the U.S.).  Ian answered each question very quickly (usually the same day), very completely and in a way that made me feel that I was standing at a counter in an "old school" hobby shop.  Moreover, the shipping cost was, in my mind, very reasonable.  I made the buy.  The track arrived today in great shape.  I do need to add that I have never seen a better job of packing.  Overall I am totally happy with my Rails purchases and have always been made to feel that my small purchase was just as important to them as if I were spending a small fortune.  Well done!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I  Purchased  a  Heljan  0  Gauge  diesel    yesterday  Tuesday 17/5 at  around  11-00am,   delivered  today  by Parcelforce  10-30AM  well  done  Rails.

Now  awaiting  delivery  of  Sound decoder  from  Howes

:imsohappy:  :imsohappy:

• 3 weeks later...

I  Purchased  a  Heljan  0  Gauge  diesel    yesterday  Tuesday 17/5 at  around  11-00am,   delivered  today  by Parcelforce  10-30AM  well  done  Rails.

Now  awaiting  delivery  of  Sound decoder  from  Howes

:imsohappy:  :imsohappy:

The  sound  decoder  arrived  the  next  day,  fitted  very  easily  just  a  1/2 hour  job,  loco runs & sounds  extremely  good,  .........................

Snag is  there   has been  a  bit   of  a  falling  out  with my group,  wont  go into  details  but if  people  want  to  share  things  a  share  of the  cost  would  be  appreciated!!

So  the  loco  is  now  up  for  sale  on  the  big    auction  site!!

What is the experience of people on here selling to rails?  I'm thinking of selling a few items to them that I bought off ebay which are partially damaged (missing smokebox door on my Ivatt 2mt and a missing step on my jinty).   I have also have one which has completely died but I may see if they will replace its motor or I might try sell it to them, (Bachmann Jinty) are their repair prices fair?

Edited by GWR8700

• RMweb Premium

When my Dad got rid of all his old locos (literally hundreds of them!), mainly as bought, but some dodgy repaints/renumbered by a teenage me!, he took them round quite a few shops to get the best price he could.

Rails turned out to be by far the best deal, & they took the whole lot, mainly Lima stuff, but also Hornby 37's, 47's, 25's etc.

Cheers,

Phil.

When my Dad got rid of all his old locos (literally hundreds of them!), mainly as bought, but some dodgy repaints/renumbered by a teenage me!, he took them round quite a few shops to get the best price he could.

Rails turned out to be by far the best deal, & they took the whole lot, mainly Lima stuff, but also Hornby 37's, 47's, 25's etc.

Cheers,

Phil.

Thanks, and they're fine not taking in collections aren't they?  I've only got 3 I want to sell.

• RMweb Gold

I see Rails is listing some of their reduced priced stock as 'ex concession'.

What does this mean? Is it stock that a retailer receives for display / demonstration?

I've not seen this before.

cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I see Rails is listing some of their reduced priced stock as 'ex concession'.What does this mean? Is it stock that a retailer receives for display / demonstration?I've not seen this before.cheers,Keith

Until earlier this year,a number of retailers such as Chester Model Centre and Locomotion Models had the status of a Hornby "concession" which supposedly meant exclusive sales rights of such items as a BR green B1 and Britannias 70043/4.I believe the stock was actually still in Hornby ownership but held by the retailer for sale.It was however honoured more in the breach than the observance.That is to say the policy did not work .Most of the models leaked onto ebay at significantly cheaper prices

Thus it was kicked by Hornby into the long grass .....leaving the remaining stock to be sold in freefall....sorry ,"open market".

Edited by Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Premium

Is Rails' second hand stock available to browse in the shop? Is it packaged up as per their eBay lots or can you pick and choose? There are a few wagons & coaches I'd like but not in the bundles they have on eBay.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium

The second hand stuff isn't in the main shop, no.  Its all display cabinets of shiny new toys in there.  They have (had?) a separate shop, the next one along on the left, which you used to be able to go in to by asking, where lots of second hand stuff was on shelves, but (in my opinion!) it was more the "tat" end of what they had, old 4 wheel wagons, Triang, old Hornby coaches, that kind of thing, than anything most serious/finescale modellers would want.  I don't know if the eBay said of things is run from upstairs or a separate shop, but I'm sure if you give them a call they'll be able to either help you or tell you why not.  

• 5 months later...

Some S/H prices are daft, but there are good deals to be had. I certainly don't understand their algorithm for second hand pricing though. Whatever A/B means I have been able to pick up King Henry III (A/B) for an excellent price. That's crimbo sorted then. Maybe it means absolute bargain??

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having spotted the Bachmann LMS-liveried 'Crab' for £115.50 on Rails' web-site (the lowest price I have yet seen for this model), I was tempted...

Order placed very late Sunday evening, despatch email from Rails received by me Monday mid-morning, and said item received here by me in Norn Iron on a wet Tuesday morning before 9am!

Well done Rails and Royal Mail - I opted for £5 (24hr 1st class) delivery - which is good value I reckon, and includes tracking.

cheers,

Keith