Warley 2011

DapolDave

Hi chaps, Seems a bit of confusion here but please forgive my post for being a bit jumbled as I'm just off to day 2 of the show. Firstly, the A3 + A4 models were again just pre-production samples that I asked for in better paint finishes merely to be able to show them to a wider audience ( we had lots of signs in the cabinet stating that models there were not necessarily finished items. And yes the deflectors were wrong as were 2 tenders and a single chimney. Lol 3 new announcements were 3 new O gauge wagons, with a fair bit of new price busting ( but not quality busting) new models and loco's next year. The EMT HST was in the wrong colours but no one spotted that ;-) Cheers for now Dave

To be fair, to Dave the signs were there, tucked away in the corners,

I have to say the A3 and A4's both look excellent, the BR Greel late crest one will certainly have my name on it if the final products deliver to this standard.

Ditto a BR Late Crest A4.

The reason there have been no reports of new stuff anywhere (O Gauge models aside) was because as far as I could tell there was nothing absolutely new announced by any of the mainstream manufacturers. I think the days when Warley was the place for this have now passed. That is not to say that the show has diminished in it's significance in the Model Railway calendar, it's just that Dapol. Bachmann and Hornby all announce elsewhere. Similarly the drive to get models ready for a Warley release is no longer as dominant. In N Gauge for example, they are much more targeted for The International N Gauge show. That said, last year we did see a shipment of the new Farish B1's at Warley, and this year we do have those rather lovely 00 gauge Dapol Class 22 diesels on release and the excellent RTR N Gauge Queen Mary Brake Vans selling like hot cakes on the NGS stand (The only thing I bought was an early BR Bauxite one).

A fair point too made elsewhere (and sometimes I am guilty of forgertting this to be honest) it is just a hobby, not a matter of life and death. I guess we are very lucky to be in the society we are, having the opportunities we do.

I enjoyed the show, and to be honest for me it was nice for once not to be in a scrum to find "must have" new releases.

Roy

P.S. Dapol Dave, I would have made myself known to you, but you looked far too busy!

Guest Natalie Graham
Some of the people I had to wait behind at the Dapol stand need to remember that compared to "where's my Class 22 that I pre-ordered". YOU'RE GOING TO GET IT. Unlike some of the people waiting for food and water.

The catering wasn't so good then? :P

• RMweb Gold

I am sure if you would like some suggestions about new GWR OO gauge products to bring to market, I could offer some ideas!!!!!

D*mm*t - when I gave (a very hectic) Dapol Dave a vote of appreciation at the show for the firm's recent & latest efforts I completely forgot to capitalise on the back-slapping with a remark like that, must remember the words '64XX' for the future now that I've decided it's a waste of time aiming in Hornby's direction.

Guest oldlugger

What about some of the forgotten GWR heavy hitters; the 52xx and 72xx in RTR? I'm sure the former would sell very nicely. I have to say that I'm biased here, having a great interest in any eight coupled loco... like one of my favourites, the Wath Daisy 0-8-4.

• RMweb Gold

What about some of the forgotten GWR heavy hitters; the 52xx and 72xx in RTR? I'm sure the former would sell very nicely. I have to say that I'm biased here, having a great interest in any eight coupled loco... like one of my favourites, the Wath Daisy 0-8-4.

These always seem to score very well in the MREMag poll although the way the 2-8-0Ts are divided up seems to be usually claimed as a reason for not aggregating the numbers to get a total up near the top of the poll and there is considerable ongoing disinterest in simplifying the GW number groups - presumably because that might up the numbers :nono: A former colleague and I were discussing the subject on the train home from Warley and expressing, as usual, our Western blood and we reckoned the 2-8-0T would probably be the better bet as they were more widespread. To which of course I could add that as they were used (albeit in limited numbers) on certain Cornish branchlines that really should make them terribly fashionable among modellers judging by recent releases.

Both the 8-coupled tanks would be nice but perhaps even better would be a big 4700! :) OK there were only 10 of them but they were handsome machines!

Both the 8-coupled tanks would be nice but perhaps even better would be a big 4700! :) OK there were only 10 of them but they were handsome machines!

Ahhh, lovely machines, but mostl;y just running express parcels etc at night.

Now, a 42xx or 52xx could be done as GWR or Modern as preserved on the Torbay and Dartmouth, even if you did have to have horrible southern style nameplates of Goliath or Hercules (I think) for them in present day livery. Would seem to be a much wider audience that way :)

Regards

Graham

• RMweb Gold

Now, a 42xx or 52xx could be done as GWR or Modern as preserved on the Torbay and Dartmouth, even if you did have to have horrible southern style nameplates of Goliath or Hercules (I think) for them in present day livery. Would seem to be a much wider audience that way :)

Graham

I don't go much on the naming and livery of the Torbay line's 2-8-0Ts but the lettering font used on their nameplates is pure Swindon and it lasted, with little variation, right through from some of the earliest locos to the D6XX and D8XX 'Warship' diesels.

As far as the 47XX is concerned a truly impressive machine with a choice of several liveries including BR lined green but very much limited to the principal routes on fast goods working although they did get onto passenger work on the West of England mainline on Summer Saturdays (in which role they were not very popular with the Enginemen).

• RMweb Gold

As far as the 47XX is concerned a truly impressive machine with a choice of several liveries including BR lined green but very much limited to the principal routes on fast goods working although they did get onto passenger work on the West of England mainline on Summer Saturdays (in which role they were not very popular with the Enginemen).

The only downside of these wonderful locos was there were only 10 produced.

• RMweb Gold

The only downside of these wonderful locos was there were only 10 produced.

A 4700, now you are talking, surely this would be easier to produce, just stretch the Hall a little and add an extra pair of drivers - SIMPLES :declare:

Hi, many thanks for posting the pictures and offering reports as to Dapols current plans! :no:

One thing has been nagging at me about the LNER green A3 which took me a while to put my finger on. For the round domed boilers the dome was located further forward than the later steam collector type, on the pre-production prototypes it looks like it is in the same place as the later dome versions.

I understand that these are still very much pre-production versions (and very very nice too!) but could DapolDavid comment if the dome positions will be altered on the production version?

Many thanks, please keep these wonderful models coming! :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

My guess - MRA's in Railtrack fawn/blue

Result! Complete with Network Rail overbranding. Dave informed me that they were production models with the anticipated delivery in January, along with the NR yellow MRA's - just in time for my birthday - thanks Dave! :drinks:

Cheers,

Mick

Hi, many thanks for posting the pictures and offering reports as to Dapols current plans! :no:

One thing has been nagging at me about the LNER green A3 which took me a while to put my finger on. For the round domed boilers the dome was located further forward than the later steam collector type, on the pre-production prototypes it looks like it is in the same place as the later dome versions.

I understand that these are still very much pre-production versions (and very very nice too!) but could DapolDavid comment if the dome positions will be altered on the production version?

Many thanks, please keep these wonderful models coming! :sungum:

It isn't the round domed ones that are wrong- for some reason the banjo dome on this BR-liveried prototype seems to be stuck on further forward than the one shown at Chirk. I have been told the dome is on the list of corrections already sent off.....

@DapolDave

It was good to talk with you at the show. It's a shame that some of the stuff you hoped to have there is still in transit/dockside storage. It must be very frustrating for you.

Keep up the great work, it's really good to see you guys tackling some of the big N gauge challenges such as automatic uncoupling and working semaphores.

Just going back a little bit, no one seems to have commented (much) on the appearance of the NMT HST. I'm pleased to see we have one of each power cars (buffers on/off) but wonder if you can tell us when they should be appearing, and what the product number is. It looked like ND111-e to me, is this correct ? I'll double check that my local shop has my pre order. I've been looking forward to this for ages !

BTW Any news/models/pictures of the 56 and the 142 ?

• RMweb Premium

Yes there were only 10 47XX in the class and they looked the same , but that has not stopped Bachmann making a Cl70 with fewer locos that all look the same, Hornby's Clans, only difference was the nameplate. TBH you could go on citing examples. The important point is that the 2-8-0T, 2-8-2T and 47xx are three significant locos missing from the GWR stable (I acknowledge that there are lots of significant LMS,LNER and SR locos outstanding) and would sell very well.

Yes there were only 10 47XX in the class and they looked the same

In fact that could be regarded as a positive advantage! No hassle with tooling variations or trying to work out which locos had fire-iron tunnels etc. 1 class 3 liveries, 10 locos. Lovely! :D

• RMweb Premium

Congratulations Dave....

I am sure if you would like some suggestions about new GWR OO gauge products to bring to market, I could offer some ideas!!!!!

My suggestion would be the GWR Railmotor as seen at the GWS Didcot - I realise there is a limit on the livery, but as a niche model it could sell very well.

Or to stay along the "something different" theme, what about a 517 or Metro tank, a few of which (just) survived to BR livery

Hi Dave,

2 products that really stand out for me are the MRA sets, the earlier images of the yellow ones look good and the photos on DEMU of the Railtrack fawn/blue versions also look very good decision time as to which set to get! I also really like the look of the GBRF kids liveried 66 - looks a really nice model and will brighten up any layout!

Thanks for sharing the info about them,

Mark

One of the appeals of a GWR 42xx 2-8-0 is that the Bodmin & Wenford, Gloucestershire Warwickshire, Swindon and the Paington & Dartmouth all run them as preservation passenger power in GWR or BR livery. There are 5 preserved Examples to scan and the 42xx has tourist appeal beyond its coal hauling Welsh ancestry. Lots of Marketing appeal to the non-modeler, non-prototype modeler and casual collector. Would do well in N too.

It isn't the round domed ones that are wrong- for some reason the banjo dome on this BR-liveried prototype seems to be stuck on further forward than the one shown at Chirk. I have been told the dome is on the list of corrections already sent off.....

Unfortunately on the pre-production samples shown the round dome is in the wrong place as well. The dome on early boiler engines (and some Thompson boilered ones) should sit on the join between the parallel and tapered sections on the boiler on top of the third boiler band. The photos show the round dome sitting behind the boiler band.

Obviously these are pre production models and subject to change but is this one of the changes noted?

Archived