EBay madness

Marcyg

21 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Indeed.  The shape of the hole suggests to me that the body was ripped off the chassis without removing the screw.

There are two variants. The one with no smoke unit has the screw through the chimney. The one with the synchro smoke unit has the screw into the side to free up the space in the chimney.  An alternate take on the above is a clumsy bodge to make a non smoke fitted body fit a smoke fitted chassis.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

The first type of “Jinty” chassis had two cast metal blocks, one either end, sandwiched between plate frames.

The body fixing was two prongs on the chassis, and a screw down the chimney, into the front block.

From 1961, the chassis was a cast block. This had a hole in the front part to accommodate the Seuthe type smoke unit.

The body fixing was two prongs on the chassis, and a screw through the side of the boiler, just in front of the side tank, into the side of the chassis casting.

From 1964 the chassis was modified. The front of the chassis casting was made into a flat platform to accommodate the Synchrosmoke type smoke unit.

The body fixing was two prongs on the chassis, and a screw through the side of the boiler, just in front of the side tank, into the side of the smoke unit casting.

Also, the third variant...non smoke fitted locomotives.

The post 1964 chassis removed the original side fixing screw location. The chassis was also used for the Diesel Shunter.

This did not have a smoke unit, as the chassis is used “backwards”.

The body fixing screw on the Shunter is through the cab back plate, into a special bracket that fits to the chassis.

To accommodate the Shunter, and non smoke fitted locomotives, a cast metal weight block was made, that is fitted to the Chassis, replacing the Synchrosmoke smoke unit, and providing a tapped hole for the Side fixing screw on steam locomotives. Another special plate is used for the Diesel Shunter body fixing screw.

:)

• Informative/Useful 5

9 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

To accommodate the Shunter, and non smoke fitted locomotives, a cast metal weight block was made, that is fitted to the Chassis, replacing the Synchrosmoke smoke unit, and providing a tapped hole for the Side fixing screw on steam locomotives. Another special plate is used for the Diesel Shunter body fixing screw.

What about the shunter with the "automatic uncoupling" device. Did that have a different fixing location?

(I've got one, but it's "somewhere", so I can't examine it!)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Esmedune said:

Totally off topic, but I was just watching a real auction and everything was being snaffled up by two traders who were picking stuff up at bargain prices, and nothing was getting anywhere near the estimations. They had to drop the initial asking price with virtually every last item, then that would be the final price and no-one online was bidding.

I wonder if this had anything to do with it?
image.png.4acb19be1006e0199c28d6a58ea4c9b3.png

Imagine having listed your item with them, and getting nothing for them...

I recently bought 3 smallish lots from an on line auction thru“ The Saleroom”. To my horror I was then charged £55.00 to pack and deliver to Northampton. This on top of more than 30% commission. The shipper was their “trusted partner” Mail Boxes Etc

Shan’t be doing that again.

B

Edited by boeing7572t6
Additional info
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, Hroth said:

What about the shunter with the "automatic uncoupling" device. Did that have a different fixing location?

I have various models that are "somewhere"! They lurk!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hroth said:

This version of the Diesel Shunter uses the B12 type chassis block, with a substantial plastic base plate incorporating the uncoupling feature.

The body has two slots at the cab end, and a single clip at the front, radiator, end.

No screw is used.

More recent versions, and current Railroad inside frame models, that are fitted with the SSPP chassis, and later derivatives, have a special plastic adaptor that fits inside the body. This allows the body to fit the later types of chassis, without the body mountings having to be retooled.

And, yes, the chassis is fitted to the shunter “backwards “.

The 1970s new 0-6-0 chassis started with the front wheel drive version, using mainly the New Type X.03 motor.

From this chassis on, clips are used to secure the bodies. Not always very robustly.

This chassis was replaced by the Super Strong Pulling Power chassis, with a sprung rear (on steam locos) axle and traction tyres on the centre driving wheels. These use a disposable motor.

Later, the sprung rear axle was changed to rigid, and still later, the centre driving wheels gained partial low profile  flanges.

The pick up arrangements have also seen changes.

The most recent version has no traction tyres, and proper flanges on the centre driving wheels.

As the wheels are insulated both sides, pick up wipers are used in both sides.

A wiring harness to take a special 4pin DCC decoder can be fitted to this 0-6-0 chassis.:)

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 2

I like the badly described lots usually as you can find some good stuff. I bought this week a pair of tender drives!! One was a millholme in a KS GWR 3500 gall tender. The tender was worth what I’ve paid, maybe my old KS dukedog can pull the Cambrian Coast Express with the loco and tender pulling, however there was a mangled Triang  B12 tender body wrapped  around a Triang DMU motor bogie!! Which runs sweetly and has Ultrascales!!! All for less than a tenner!!. I only wanted the KS tender body for a mogul!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 3

6 hours ago, russell price said:

I like the badly described lots usually as you can find some good stuff. I bought this week a pair of tender drives!! One was a millholme in a KS GWR 3500 gall tender. The tender was worth what I’ve paid, maybe my old KS dukedog can pull the Cambrian Coast Express with the loco and tender pulling, however there was a mangled Triang  B12 tender body wrapped  around a Triang DMU motor bogie!! Which runs sweetly and has Ultrascales!!! All for less than a tenner!!. I only wanted the KS tender body for a mogul!

Get in! Makes it all worth it!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

I would say that the starting bid is very cheap though. 12 new PO wagons for £5 each.

The collector market for "rare" and "limited edition" wagons means that single wagons are regularly £20 each and more.

Still, if you buy them at that price and never take them out of the boxes - maybe one day they'll be worth almost half of what you paid for them!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

13 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Let me know when that happens - I wouldn't mind a few more PO wagons if the price is right.

Exactly, I very rarely buy PO wagons because I can't justify what people are asking. There were a couple of coal wagons lettered Breeze of Shrewsbury that I did fancy until I saw that they were "rare" and "limited edition" and £65 each.

Whilst buying them at that price wouldn't have presented any problems, I just felt that the pair of them were a good £100 more I thought that they were worth.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

They're only worth what people are willing to pay for them. Dozens of items that keep being offered at highly inflated prices on E-bay when the vendor hasn't realised that the high price is discouraging buyers. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

They're only worth what people are willing to pay for them. Dozens of items that keep being offered at highly inflated prices on E-bay when the vendor hasn't realised that the high price is discouraging buyers. 

He may well realise that buyers are discouraged, but if he's willing to wait for his profit it may be worth his while holding on for as long as it takes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Just now, Michael Hodgson said:

He may well realise that buyers are discouraged, but if he's willing to wait for his profit it may be worth his while holding on for as long as it takes.

In pure economic terms, the perfect price is one that excludes all buyers but one. There are a few items that, should they turn up, I would pay more than certainly most others because they are specific wants of mine and I've been around long enough to know that they are genuinely hard to find, to the extent that I won't pass and wait for another. However the opposite is true for most items, I've seen enough come and go to be very easily prepared to pass on them once the price drifts above a certain level.

Of course one of the realities of being in the market for a long time is occasionally you become aware of something that has seriously shifted up in price (certain Hornby Thomas range items are now in magical fairy land in this regards; and of course the LT museum Bachmann S stock set now seems a bargain at it's £349.99 release price). The opposite is also true; in the past five years I have acquired some Hornby pre-war O gauge and 1950s DInkys that back in the 1980s were considered the hottest items to trade but which (excepting dead mint and/or rare colours) are considerably cheaper and easier to find nowadays.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I was going to mention the fluctuations of the Dinky toys market as a prime example. Whilst prices have dropped (in line with a lot of real cars) the ones that are valuable are the once common ones that were played with, lost in the garden, broken, squashed and occasionally set on fire.

Those sold at the same time as collectors pieces, often stayed in their boxes in a forgotten drawer and as a result, relatively commonplace and virtually worthless.

Or another example, Lima diesels.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I was going to mention the fluctuations of the Dinky toys market as a prime example. Whilst prices have dropped (in line with a lot of real cars) the ones that are valuable are the once common ones that were played with, lost in the garden, broken, squashed and occasionally set on fire.

Those sold at the same time as collectors pieces, often stayed in their boxes in a forgotten drawer and as a result, relatively commonplace and virtually worthless.

Or another example, Lima diesels.

I recently started collecting whisky and the same seems to apply. 

I have a price ceiling above which I won't pay, because I wouldn't be prepared to drink it at above that price.  Every whisky collector/investor probably has a ceiling price, although the amount might be very different (although there are clearly people who will enjoy a regular tipple at £50/dram).  Above those ceiling prices, the values won't necessarily increase that much unless new collectors enter the market to increase the demand; the supply won't diminish because it's too expensive to drink.  Below the threshold, there are lots of interesting special editions that people will enjoy (and I do) but where the rarity will increase because the product is being consumed.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Based on another thread in the modelling section, I was having a look at model paint strippers. I am going to buy one and try, but this one floored my jaw.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333616489728?hash=item4dad17a500:g:c~AAAOSwd4pe2RK8

They are selling it in little 70ml bottles for £12 +£5 postage, but if you actually go back to the manufacturer, they only sell it in 1 or 5lt bottles, with the 1lt being £20 (Ex-vat).  I am not going to do the maths, but even taking into consideration the tasks of buying little bottles and printing labels out, they must be making a hell of a killing.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2