EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, The Johnster said:

No, I believe they were tamed a little with a new motor and gearbox a few years back, but there's no visual clue as to whether you're getting one of these relatively usable ones or the land speed record model.

I have just brought a Caley Pug with the cast metal chassis and guess it's the earlier type motor .... this runs pretty reasonably slowely

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 33C said:

It's probably because you can buy 3/4 Airfix, boxed, for the price of one Hornby, going by the sold listings.....

It depends. The first class Mk2 and the part brake Mk2 are not dear as they were in the set with the class 31 and are plentiful. The standard class Mk2 though was only sold separately and is much scarcer (not scarce in the genuine sense but much scarcer relatively speaking - the same as the centre coach in relation to the power coaches in the triang blue Pullman. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Perhaps they suddenly became 'Rare'? Or a celeb might have been spotted holding one in 'Hello' magazine??

In the past, I've found that getting snapped by the paparazzi, whilst holding something unusual, can have unexpected consequences when published in 'Hello!'

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

3 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

It depends. The first class Mk2 and the part brake Mk2 are not dear as they were in the set with the class 31 and are plentiful. The standard class Mk2 though was only sold separately and is much scarcer (not scarce in the genuine sense but much scarcer relatively speaking - the same as the centre coach in relation to the power coaches in the triang blue Pullman. 

The Airfix Mk2d BSO and FO were released in 1976 whilst the SO only came out in 1980 so even as individual boxed coaches far fewer were made

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

In the past, I've found that getting snapped by the paparazzi, whilst holding something unusual, can have unexpected consequences when published in 'Hello!'

Are you speaking from personal experience? :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

On 13/01/2022 at 13:31, 298 said:

I also stumbled upon this - and also thought it had a certain quaintness and character about it.

Of course, as soon as you inspect it with a (slightly) critical eye you realise that it is at best a pastiche and at worst a caricature! Where is the fuel kept? How does the driver see out? So many questions, so unlikely to be solved!

Steve S

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I also stumbled upon this - and also thought it had a certain quaintness and character about it.

Of course, as soon as you inspect it with a (slightly) critical eye you realise that it is at best a pastiche and at worst a caricature! Where is the fuel kept? How does the driver see out? So many questions, so unlikely to be solved!

Steve S

And why is the smokebox perched ontop of the verandah...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Steve S

The smokebox is at the back, it's driven from the other end.

Where's your imagination :)

• Funny 5

3 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Steve S

Perhaps it's a disguised steam loco (as per the GWR?) instead of a true railmotor...

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

The latest oddity for me but might not quite qualify as madness. I bought two items from the 2nd hand section of a well known model railway retailer, both obviously in stock, both bought from one selection/payment basket and therefore both paid for together. Mailed separately, one arrived today, the other is due Monday. Both small enough to go in the box that arrived today so what…..? I’m guessing different store rooms, but it is only a guess.

• Like 2