EBay madness

Marcyg

50 minutes ago, rab said:

I suppose that if you've picked up a loco unboxed in a junk shop or the car boot, then you can buy the box, stick the loco in it and sell as mint boxed.

Only ever been unboxed to live in the display cabinet of a ninety year old war veteran who sadly passed away with covid no doubt. :mad_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

On 13/12/2021 at 23:43, andyman7 said:

The madness with this one is that I have bought it:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lima-Class-55-Deltic-Diesel-Locomotive-The-Black-Watch-Weathered-949-/284555270210?nma=true&si=%2FvspTMOpduihGinjwDW8NM3%2FnU0%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I know weathering is a personal thing but this appears to have been camouflaged....
Still, the price was right for me to a) try and get that stuff off and b) improve my skills at a better finish. Plan c) (no relation to HM Government) will be a repaint if the 'camouflage' proves resistant.

Well, it scrubbed up very well...(before/after below)...

IMG_20211217_162527.jpg

IMG_20220107_200904.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 9

• RMweb Premium
On 07/01/2022 at 17:09, SteveyDee68 said:

The seller “micmcn” appears to be after Gostude’s crown - if you find something for sale at the most expensive price from Gostude, the likelihood is that micmcn will be selling the same thing for just slightly less.

Almost (almost) makes me wonder if they are one and the same!

Steve S

Gostude also trades under another name, "Antique Toys" I believe.  Dealer “micmcn” also trades under another name, whch I forget, but he used to feature regularly in this thread, based in the North West IIRC, Lake District?

Edited by petethemole
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 minutes ago, petethemole said:

Gostude also trades under another name, "Antique Toys" I believe.  Dealer “micmcn” also trades under another name, whch I forget, but he used to feature regularly in this thread, based in the North West IIRC, Lake District?

'micmcn' is Cartmel Antiques, based in the Lake District. He, far more than Gostude, is master of the eye-watering prices on hundreds of listings. Take a look at his 'sold' items; he only actually sells a relatively small amount of his inventory but at (in many cases) quite astonishing prices, and has obviously decided that he'd rather things hang around for months or years waiting for the right unsuspecting or cash-endowed buyer 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

'micmcn' is Cartmel Antiques, based in the Lake District. He, far more than Gostude, is master of the eye-watering prices on hundreds of listings. Take a look at his 'sold' items; he only actually sells a relatively small amount of his inventory but at (in many cases) quite astonishing prices, and has obviously decided that he'd rather things hang around for months or years waiting for the right unsuspecting or cash-endowed buyer 

Many such businesses are run on a business overdraft, particularly antiques, classic vehicles etc. The worth of the company is based upon the value of the stock, which is difficult to quantify if everything is obsolete or of limited number production. 

The higher the stock value, the more favourably your bank will look upon your business. A very visible internet presence is a good way to do this.

A lot of sales end up being deals and part exes done with customers coming through the door, so the price asked, isn't the price paid.

This is even better if you are the owner of multiple properties that you rent out, including the business premises, (you own it and then rent it to your business.) because the business or businesses are under the same umbrella and becomes your loss leader when it comes to tax assessment time.

Simple and perfectly legal.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rab said:

Didn't realise rust was white:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N-Gauge-heavily-Rusted-Pannier-Tank-/133988010151?

or were pannier locos aluminium bodied

How come the smokebox handles are upside down, the inner handle is always pointing down vertically as that has the dog on the door it catches onto

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 minutes ago, John Besley said:

How come the smokebox handles are upside down, the inner handle is always pointing down vertically as that has the dog on the door it catches onto

It looks a dog - if that helps?

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Perhaps he got his spelling wrong and was working from a photo of a Panther tank in winter camo paint?

That's all I've got...

Proberly served time on the Russian front at Kursk.... afterall that's where the biggest tank battle was. :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

5 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Proberly served time on the Russian front at Kursk.... afterall that's where the biggest tank battle was. :D

Possibly, I was thinking more like the later Ardennes campaign, that would fit in with the all steel wheels. :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Ahh,rocket railways, the true hallmark of honesty. They said that model railways were too expensive for people on a budget and it was their mission to fix that, and they certainly deliver. What an offer! Reminds when I messaged them about the fact that they were selling a broken Lima class 67 with no box, no detail pack for 110 quid, and their answer to the problem was to send me an offer for it for 100 quid. Cant beat good old Rocket Railways can you? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Hornby-BR-Green-Class-40-D232-Empress-of-Canada-/114967397768?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Like 4

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R6862-4-Plank-Wagon-Arnold-Sands-MNIB-/175054944766?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Ok the seller may not realise the wagon in the box is not a 4 plank open, but I would have thought that having a totally different name on the side would be a clue that something is not quite right, !! 

NMIB indeed,

Just need L@@k, rare.... 

Edited by kernowtim
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, tubs01 said:

Ahh,rocket railways, the true hallmark of honesty. They said that model railways were too expensive for people on a budget and it was their mission to fix that, and they certainly deliver. What an offer! Reminds when I messaged them about the fact that they were selling a broken Lima class 67 with no box, no detail pack for 110 quid, and their answer to the problem was to send me an offer for it for 100 quid. Cant beat good old Rocket Railways can you? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Hornby-BR-Green-Class-40-D232-Empress-of-Canada-/114967397768?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

It's DCC sound.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandwich station said:

It's DCC sound.

Can anyone tell me why, given the actual cost of the components from China, DCC or DCC sound locomotives are so much more expensive than the regular version.

Or is it a similar thing to how a £700 mobile phone is better than a £250 mobile phone?

I'd genuinely like to know.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Possibly, I was thinking more like the later Ardennes campaign, that would fit in with the all steel wheels. :D

The Ardennes campaign started before it started to snow.  I don't recollect seeing any (genuine) photos of German armour in the Battle of the Bulge in snow camo.  A common paint pattern at that time was 'Ambush' pattern https://resourcesformodellers.wordpress.com/2015/01/02/ambush-camouflage/.

I have seen some photos where there there are two tones of the lighter spots, suggesting white spots as well as dark yellow.

• Informative/Useful 3

I wasn't trying to score points over the Kursk comment, just following up with the picture I had in my mind having seen the eBay pannier.

German vehicles switched from panzer grey to all over sand around 1943 and further camouflage was applied mostly on site, so you'd be right about that.  Late war tanks had solid steel wheels without the rubber tyres to stifle noise and track wear, which is where I got the connection to the last stand from.

Sometimes you do get spot painting rather than the elaborate lines to break up the shape, I've seen a good number of photos of Marders and Stugs painted like that, the variations are huge and a subject in itself.

I rather miss publications like Wheels and tracks for rare photos of such things. That pannier does look like it's been camouflaged and left out in the snow.

It also looks like it's taken an AP round ahead of the left-hand spectacle plate though. Probably why it's now a static model!

Very interesting link BTW, duly bookmarked, thanks!

Edited by MrWolf
Internet death
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N-Gauge-heavily-Rusted-Flying-Scotsman-/133749594619?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I think someone heard @petethemolemention ambush pattern camouflage.

It's the world famous LNER  number 4472 Flying Panzerkampfwagen.

That's so it can run on BR without the great unwashed noticing and trespassing on railway property

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

That's an interesting listing by dirty boys weathering. 

The user name "Dirty Boy!"has been used by Lord and Butler for many years (since 2014 ?) as the brand name for Adrian's weathering carried out from the shop. 

Suffice to say, there is a considerable difference in quality. 

Not to be confused.........

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, John Besley said:

That's so it can run on BR without the great unwashed noticing and trespassing on railway property

Even changed the number, strange looking GWR prairie.