EBay madness

Marcyg

I think the "theory" is that Bachmann make a kit of parts, then build it from that.

Ergo: Kitbuilt!   However, you've got to have a Del Boy cast of mind to believe that sort of tenuous idea....

Now, if he were trying to flog an old Triank CKD loco, then there might be some wiggle room.

Having looked at the rest of the tat being flogged, I've come to the conclusion that you'd do better buying similar items from Hattons pre-owned stock (Other vendors of s/h model railway goods are available) and come away with a far better bargain!  :jester:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darius43 said:

And it says “DCC” but when you read the description it means DCC ready.  For £238 you would expect DCC sound.

One for the Gostude rip-off category.

Darius

Especially when the next search appears to be DCC sound fitted and not kitbuilt to boot....

32 minutes ago, rab said:

I've done the next best thing.

I've messaged him pointing out it's a Bachmann model

and asking him to confirm it is kit built. 

I'm not holding my breath for a reply.

Not a printable one anyway..........

• Funny 1

6 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Ebay call it keyword spamming - draws unfair attention to a listing. You can even report it to them. Yet when reported nothing actually happens, I have reported dozens of them when bored. 

Now if we all did it simultaneously........

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, rab said:

I've done the next best thing.

I've messaged him pointing out it's a Bachmann model

and asking him to confirm it is kit built. 

I'm not holding my breath for a reply.

I doubt you'll get a reply.

I'm sure he knows we take the p*ss out of some of his listings.

And gets free publicity for all his other stuff - there are a few (very few) items in there that aren't silly money.

His other moniker is something like antiquetoys

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I doubt you'll get a reply.

I'm sure he knows we take the p*ss out of some of his listings.

And gets free publicity for all his other stuff - there are a few (very few) items in there that aren't silly money.

Now if we all did that simultaneously too.....

Gentlemen,

I need your considered opinions:

Whilst putting the Herald's battery on charge, my eye was drawn to one of those cr#ppy old self assembly chests of drawers which is sitting in the garage that I have been meaning to dispose of for some time.

My question is - do I:

A: Burn it.

B: Put it by the kerb with a hastily scrawled "Free sh#t!" notice attached.

C: List it on eBay with the words "kit built" in the title.

Your thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated.

• Funny 5

2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Gentlemen,

Whilst putting the Herald's battery on charge, my eye was drawn to one of those cr#ppy old self assembly chests of drawers which is sitting in the garage that I have been meaning to dispose of for some time.

My question is - do I:

C-Because people will buy any old rubbish as long as it says 'KIT BUILT'!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Thanks for your advice, it's going on eBay then.

It WAS built from a kit of parts.

It IS rare. (most of them had fallen apart by 1986)

I forgot to mention that it is PROFESSIONALLY HEAVILY WEATHERED. (nobody needs to know what profession that might be, nobody ever says on eBay)

There are WHITE METAL FITTINGS (well, monkey metal that has gone white with the damp)

There are some marks and wear commensurate with age (one drawer front has been ripped off and there are splodges of BSA Devon red paint all over the top)

On second thoughts, I'll burn it.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Gentlemen,

My question is - do I:

Answer is B, but with a variation.

If you say it's free, nobody will value it and it'll stay there for months.

But put a notice "Chest of Drawers, £10 only" and it'll be nicked in no time.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

27 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

Answer is B, but with a variation.

If you say it's free, nobody will value it and it'll stay there for months.

But put a notice "Chest of Drawers, £10 only" and it'll be nicked in no time.

If it's worth £10, that opens up another possibility.

I could make like a lot of people I have met who have a vintage car lying around.

Leave it outside until it falls apart and tell anyone interested in buying it that I want £2000, because "somebody" told me it's one of only three left and worth a fortune.

That "somebody" also spoke to the bloke down the road trying to sell you a box full of knackered Triang Flying Scotsman bits out of his garden shed.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Thanks for your advice, it's going on eBay then.

It WAS built from a kit of parts.

It IS rare. (most of them had fallen apart by 1986)

I forgot to mention that it is PROFESSIONALLY HEAVILY WEATHERED. (nobody needs to know what profession that might be, nobody ever says on eBay)

There are WHITE METAL FITTINGS (well, monkey metal that has gone white with the damp)

There are some marks and wear commensurate with age (one drawer front has been ripped off and there are splodges of BSA Devon red paint all over the top)

On second thoughts, I'll burn it.

Don’t forget it’s old, so it’s Classic....and being a bit burnt it is also Customised......win win for some lucky punter :lol:

• Funny 2

26 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Don’t forget it’s old, so it’s Classic....and being a bit burnt it is also Customised......win win for some lucky punter :lol:

Damn! I forgot descriptives such as 'retro', 'rat look' and 'patina' plus I have full provenance on it. That's another £1500 !

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, newbryford said:

I think you'd be lucky to get the baked beans

Looking at some of his other stuff and mis-matched titles/descriptions.

A (most likely Dapol) 122 is a Hornby 2-car 156 in the description

Someone could get lucky though.  This item is just 'model rialway' currently £30 with 1 bid.  I'd say it's a 153 in Northern livery, worth a punt if that's your area/era.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/model-rialway/283855006651?hash=item421713abbb:g:uC0AAOSwD3BenxB4

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Someone could get lucky though.  This item is just 'model rialway' currently £30 with 1 bid.  I'd say it's a 153 in Northern livery, worth a punt if that's your area/era.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/model-rialway/283855006651?hash=item421713abbb:g:uC0AAOSwD3BenxB4

I'm sure it'll be one of us following this thread...….

Same goes for the Dapol and Heljan DMUs

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd say in this case, the seller has problems with writing, although some of the listings are better than others. Its very much a case of buyer beware, and an element of luck, though at least here I'd say any issues would be more from poor grasp of language than any malice or ignorance. On the one hand, it is to be applauded, that they are having a go and not letting it stop them. On the other, if it were me I think I'd want to ask for help, to make sure I saved myself problems and got the best price I could. There's no shame in it, we all need help with some things, whether its writing, maths, whatever. 

That said, and the main reason I started writing this response in the first place, was in response to @Metr0Land's post: 

7 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Someone will not get lucky. As soon as I saw it I thought it was missing the glazing as the 153 has slightly tinted windows. Then I zoomed in on the picture, it is a 153 converted from a Hornby (or Dapol) 155, repainted in FNW livery. So I reckon £30 is about right. £40 at the most, if someone wants a cheap DMU that looks recognisably like a FNW 153 for a layout where slow speed running isn't important. 

Although a certain other eBayer has one in Regional Railways livery (KIT BUILT of course) for £124.50, which considering how many years he's been advertising it will probably come with a free layer of dust.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2