EBay madness

Marcyg

Guest Half-full
4 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Not motorised at least that is what I think is meant by Not Mortised! 22% off RRP for something that is not for sale new! False advertising to me.

Being pedantic here, the % off is an eBay thing, not the seller.   eBay class the original listing price as RRP

The item is still a lot of shte though.  Doesn't even have the simple decal on in one piece.

Guest Half-full
40 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Silly money indeed, how do you justify charging the price of a locomotive for a coach? Let alone justify spending the price of a locomotive for a coach. I know that despite being quite obsessive about my model railway, I can think of a lot of other things I would rather spend that kind of money on.

You'll find that these items that are listed at ridiculous prices never sell and eventually get reduced to more reasonable levels.  However there is always one idiot with more money than sense.

I used* to know someone that used to list stuff on eBay with L@@K, RARE, Only one on eBay etc etc  and have ridiculous BIN prices (some where only fit for the bin!)  He ended up leaving eBay because 'it is rubbish and nothing sells'  No sht Sherlock.  The same guy used to have stalls at all the local area shows and swapmeets, with the same overpriced junk year in and out.

*I say used to know him as I had to cut him out my life, his behaviour became more and more erratic, was a crazy conspiracy theorist and last I heard he'd been given a restraining order for stalking a young woman! 

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Am sure Newbryford will be along later to tell you!

I wouldn't want to waste any effort.

No throwing required.

The only energy needed is that to open the wheely bin lid.

Edited by newbryford
  • Funny 3

Guest Half-full
16 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I wouldn't want to waste any effort.

No throwing required.

The only energy needed is that to open the wheely bin lid.

Please don't recycle it what ever you do!

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Half-full said:

Please don't recycle it what ever you do!

Round my way, red bin = landfill.

Blue or green is recycling.

Red bin it is!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Half-full said:

You'll find that these items that are listed at ridiculous prices never sell and eventually get reduced to more reasonable levels.  However there is always one idiot with more money than sense.

I used* to know someone that used to list stuff on eBay with L@@K, RARE, Only one on eBay etc etc  and have ridiculous BIN prices (some where only fit for the bin!)  He ended up leaving eBay because 'it is rubbish and nothing sells'  No sht Sherlock.  The same guy used to have stalls at all the local area shows and swapmeets, with the same overpriced junk year in and out.

*I say used to know him as I had to cut him out my life, his behaviour became more and more erratic, was a crazy conspiracy theorist and last I heard he'd been given a restraining order for stalking a young woman! 

I know that one all too well. I think everyone has had a friend like that. Their entire belief system usually revolves around "America is to blame for everything" and "Cannabis is the answer". Ditch them quick!

• Like 1

How can this be classed as 4 out of 5, with 5 being the best, for condition?

One side has been partly melted in the centre!

Clearly seen in the photos.

As the motor in these is at one end, it wasn't an overheating motor...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Hornby-BR-Electric-Blue-Class-37-D6830-Shell/114250006244?

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, newbryford said:

Round my way, red bin = landfill.

Blue or green is recycling.

Red bin it is!

No yellow bin ??? :)

• Funny 2

10 minutes ago, MartynJPearson said:

Nearly posted this in bargain hunters instead

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293546862871?ul_noapp=true

The twenty quid "bit of wire" has now been reduced to 15. Can't see it hanging around for long now!

You could have this bit of broken wire that I just took off my motorcycle for £5, it will be £12 plus post when I put it on eBay, this is a time sensitive offer!

WP_20200615_09_20_01_Pro.jpg

• Funny 4

3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You could have this bit of broken wire that I just took off my motorcycle for £5, it will be £12 plus post when I put it on eBay, this is a time sensitive offer!

WP_20200615_09_20_01_Pro.jpg

Just don't put L@@K and RARE!! on it!!

• Funny 2

2 minutes ago, MartinWales said:

Just don't put L@@K and RARE!! on it!!

Oh, I can assure you that it's not RARE!! It's one of those typical bodges that people do on old bikes to save £5 and risk £500 damage to the charging system!

28 minutes ago, MartynJPearson said:

The twenty quid "bit of wire" has now been reduced to 15. Can't see it hanging around for long now!

Perhaps it'll shift if it gets dropped another fiver...

There's still the "experimental livery" coaches to desire, this is a doozie!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R4930-LNER-hand-Made-Coach-Not-Much-Detail/293612512580?hash=item445cab6544:g:zlEAAOSwDAxe5T4r

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, MartynJPearson said:

Special pink wires, maybe intended for girls? But I see that it is broken.

Obviously the sellers wheely bin is already full.

• Funny 1

Guest Half-full
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I hear that a lot and my usual response is: Ever lived and worked in America? Do you know any Americans? I have, they're generally good people and very friendly. The problem is that the UK press love bashing them, probably because we have had to go cap in hand to them a few times to help us finish wars that we started.

There's still that lingering envy that Americans had a better life than us fifty odd years ago and the fear that grandad might just be a Liberator waist gunner from Nebraska. Of course, the alternative could have been a Panzer commander from Carlsbad.

I do find it interesting that if we were to stereotype, bitch about and generally hate any other country quite like we do America, we would be immediately branded as racist.

I lived and worked in the US in the late 90's for 4 years, I've never met a more hard working, respectful group of people anywhere since, except for Canada.  Yes it the US has its problems, as does everywhere.

I'd go back and live there in a heartbeat

3 minutes ago, Half-full said:

I lived and worked in the US in the late 90's for 4 years, I've never met a more hard working, respectful group of people anywhere since, except for Canada.  Yes it the US has its problems, as does everywhere.

I'd go back and live there in a heartbeat

I worked in Missouri and Texas, even the people who don't appear to have anything want to share it with you. I only came back because my UK employer got into financial trouble, basically for being greedy! I told them to stick their job, ended up round Eastern Europe and Africa. I felt the same way about Eastern Europe too.

Guest Half-full
8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I worked in Missouri and Texas, even the people who don't appear to have anything want to share it with you. I only came back because my UK employer got into financial trouble, basically for being greedy! I told them to stick their job, ended up round Eastern Europe and Africa. I felt the same way about Eastern Europe too.

I was based in Seattle and Lincoln, my first day at work I was invited to a workmate's to have dinner with his family.  Made friends for life.

Only ever visited EE on holiday, but very friend folk, and helpful to confused tourists!

14 minutes ago, Half-full said:

I was based in Seattle and Lincoln, my first day at work I was invited to a workmate's to have dinner with his family.  Made friends for life.

Only ever visited EE on holiday, but very friend folk, and helpful to confused tourists!

I had exactly the same experience. Got talking motorcycles, invite to dinner and meet the family, then out for a spin on a '56 Harley.

USAF wouldn't let me pay for food either.

Slovenia much the same, only the bike was a '42 Zundapp that had been hidden away since the end of WW2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, AlexHolt said:

One I found today https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hatton-s-Hornby-Hunslet-j94-OO-gauge-Engine-Boxed/283911854053

A DJ Models box with a Hornby locomotive inside it being called a Hatton's Hornby model. Described as 'ex display and just needs a wipe over' despite the bent connecting rods. 

Also missing one coupling and missing the hook from the other coupling.

Edited by cessna152towser
typo

1 hour ago, cessna152towser said:

Also missing one coupling and missing the hook from the other coupling.

But the seller says all it needs is a wipe over - possibly with a petrol soaked rag?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Perhaps it'll shift if it gets dropped another fiver...

There's still the "experimental livery" coaches to desire, this is a doozie!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R4930-LNER-hand-Made-Coach-Not-Much-Detail/293612512580?hash=item445cab6544:g:zlEAAOSwDAxe5T4r

We have to be a little careful here, as discussed earlier, some people may have difficulties with writing.

Maybe he wrote "Experimental livery" when he actually meant: "EXCREMENTAL livery" ?

Ah, who cares, it's awful.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6