EBay madness

Marcyg

7 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

For some reason I can't post eBay links anymore, but a Bachmann 4car underground set, LTM-35-990 was started at £490, which I thought was ridiculous, but it's gone for north of £700.

There's also a 5 car set elsewhere on b.i.n for £929!

The world's gone crazy.

Mike.

The prices for these have gone bonkers since the LTM sold out a few months back. This is the going rate that people will pay so not really madness if you are selling....!

• Informative/Useful 2

Having read the last two posts I find myself once again in the small North African town of Dafuq?

I know that pretty much everyone likes to gripe about postage costs, but I have often wondered how one person can sell say a plastic LMS box van kit for say £10 and £1.50 post and the next person sell the same thing for £10 plus £4.30 post. They both arrive via 2nd class. The word chiselling springs to mind.

It's not confined to model railway items of course. I recently bought a pair of brand new 26" bicycle tyres. Postage £3.50. Came in a package bicycle wheel sized.

Someone is auctioning a pair of vintage 26" mudguards (half a wheel size) and expecting £20 postage - "because of the size" I have recently sent a pair of rear inner wings / wheel wells for a 1950s Vauxhall out, in a homespun cardboard box by Royal Mail parcel force on 48hr, insured for £250 - the cost? £21.00.

Methinks the seller doth extract the urine.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

There was one Hornby coach I saw that was £9.99 with no bids. The fact that 2nd class postage from Barnsley was £410.00 may have been part of the reason!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Having read the last two posts I find myself once again in the small North African town of Dafuq?

I know that pretty much everyone likes to gripe about postage costs, but I have often wondered how one person can sell say a plastic LMS box van kit for say £10 and £1.50 post and the next person sell the same thing for £10 plus £4.30 post. They both arrive via 2nd class. The word chiselling springs to mind.

For a small parcel up to 2kg, Royal Mail second class signed for - the current cost is £4.10. (Or £3.95 if bought online)

I won't use anything other than "signed for" as I've had the "parcel not delivered" claim before now.

Some will charge less than the going rate. It's a bit like offering "seller pays postage" - it's all part of the deal. If the seller is happy to subsidise his postage costs from the sale price, then that's down to the seller.

If the buyer isn't happy with the quoted cost, then the item won't sell.

Remember the days of loading the postage cost as they weren't subject to ebay fees?

• Agree 1

Er.... Moving along swiftly...

I think that some people simply get it wrong with postage costs, others take a wild stab in the dark and more than a few simply take something else altogether....

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, MartinWales said:

What??

13 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Exactly.................

Apologies for the O/T..

Hi Martin!

4 minutes ago, newbryford said:

For a small parcel up to 2kg, Royal Mail second class signed for - the current cost is £4.10. (Or £3.95 if bought online)

I won't use anything other than "signed for" as I've had the "parcel not delivered" claim before now.

Some will charge less than the going rate. It's a bit like offering "seller pays postage" - it's all part of the deal. If the seller is happy to subsidise his postage costs from the sale price, then that's down to the seller.

If the buyer isn't happy with the quoted cost, then the item won't sell.

Remember the days of loading the postage cost as they weren't subject to ebay fees?

Except that in the current circumstances the post office and couriers aren't taking signatures. We are stocking up the shop at present and receiving three or four parcels per day. Nobody is taking signatures.

• RMweb Premium
Just now, MrWolf said:

Except that in the current circumstances the post office and couriers aren't taking signatures. We are stocking up the shop at present and receiving three or four parcels per day. Nobody is taking signatures.

Agreed. I did wonder to add a caveat regarding the strange times that we now live in.

The signatures for signed post are available against the tracking number - at present, the couple that I looked at for curiosity simply say "C-19".

I've no problem with that - and neither do ebay if a parcel is reported as missing. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Agreed. I did wonder to add a caveat regarding the strange times that we now live in.

The signatures for signed post are available against the tracking number - at present, the couple that I looked at for curiosity simply say "C-19".

I've no problem with that - and neither do ebay if a parcel is reported as missing. 

Unless of course someone has been stupid (I am desperately trying not to write something offensive here) enough to send anything via Hermes, who dump a £150 item on your doorstep from where it is stolen by a wandering smackhead. Can you speak to anyone at Hermes? No. They keep you waiting half an hour and then cut you off. Can you email them? No. Will they honour their insurance? No. All you get is an automated message saying "The package has been signed for by a member of your household."

No it hasn't. "You can view the signature on our website." No, you can't, because there isn't one.

Is this an isolated incident? No. Third time this year. First two were via eBay and the seller of one refunded me, the other thought I was trying it on. The most recent was a private sale via an advert. The one time I hadn't said to the vendor: Whatever you do, DON'T send it via Hermes, because once they have your money they don't give a (insert expletive of choice) because they are unaccountable and un-contactable.

I enjoy posting on here so I won't say exactly what I think of them!

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

U

I enjoy posting on here so I won't say exactly what I think of them!

There is a separate Hermes related thread elsewhere that would be entirely suitable.....

2 minutes ago, newbryford said:

There is a separate Hermes related thread elsewhere that would be entirely suitable.....

Thanks, but rant over, no chance of getting my money back. When I buy from eBay I send a message to anyone sending via. "other courier" not to use them. I even offer to cover any extra cost incurred.

They obviously don't read their online reviews, general opinion is that they suck so much that Dyson is thinking of getting out of the vacuum cleaner business before he goes under...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Every courier delivery EXCEPT the Post Office have been taking pictures of the package/envelope with the front door in shot.........oh and also except our local Yodel delivery woman, she just throws the parcel over the gate and scarpers, every time without fail.......thankfully none of my modelling stuff has come via Yodel.

Most of the couriers around here are taking photographs of the parcel in the open door of the delivery address now, partly because a lot of things have been stolen by people claiming to be the recipient or member of the household. Most drivers, if you happen to be outside the property now insist upon you producing a key and unlocking the door. Others, as you say, dump the package and scarper.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I've not seen any courier take photos. I've seen people say they've had to have photos taken with their door open hasn't happened to me and we get stuff most days. DPD are one of the better ones but not had anything from them recently although expecting something today or tomorrow so will see.

• Informative/Useful 2

Amazon are hopeless at present, wife ordered 3 books which were thrown over back gate when it was p***** raining heavily. By the time we got home they were saturated. Sent a wrong item back on May 21st still waiting for a refund.They claim they have not received it yet I have a Receipt for it..

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

OK so we have had a lot of stuff delivered due to Seriously shielding, But I noticed the photographs being taken very early in in the lockdown which I thought a great idea, the photo evidence could be a regional variation I suppose but we have had DPD, Hermes, TNT and some others.