Norfolk Southern Heritage Locomotives

Pete Piszczek

I wonder just what all those locos are worth in total?

At least 2 million a copy. So that was a 40 million dollar train show. Or 26 million British pounds...

There was a lot of high end camera gear too, but NS didn't pay for that! ;)

I wonder just what all those locos are worth in total?

And NS was heard to mention that their normal paint jobs were $17,000 and that these cost anywhere from 20-50% more...my Penn Central probably at the low end of that :).

Rather clever videos:

The turntable spin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc6X0Yl1-Iw&feature=player_embedded

The time lapse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=jcS0U_9B0Xo

A few more from me shot on the night of the 3rd, morning of the 4th.

These guys look like moon worshipers:

post-41-0-10083600-1341536660_thumb.jpg

And one for Craig. I was going to paint a pair of HO Baldwin Babyface locos in the later CNJ green, but this scheme is so darn appealing...

post-41-0-50651400-1341536661_thumb.jpg

This fellow seemed neglected, the original NS, illuminated by an SR E unit...

post-41-0-85854700-1341536662_thumb.jpg

These two look natural together, if you squint, the Virginian unit could almost be a Trainmaster:

post-41-0-35149100-1341536664_thumb.jpg

And don't get tasered holding your camera, it does terrible things to the electronics... :nowinkclear:

post-41-0-08591200-1341536666_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Is it my imagination or does that squad car say 'foamer enforcement'? :mosking:

What a wonderful idea.

Great pics and vid.

Guest Max Stafford

I could swear for a moment that the Wabash unit looked like a Baldwin Shark!

Lovin' Southern 6900, by the way!

Dave.

Good stuff Pete...

The original NS's Baldwin is one of the last two AS-416s delivered to the NS...the late Baldwin hood units got the tall hoods as seen on the 1616...

Now I just have to hope that somehow today's NS decides to run some of these engines this far east...and that I'm home to see it!

Sounds really cool! Just wish that we could see them from the Toronto area. Or, better still, if CP or CN would do something similar. Rob

CP has 3 locos: FP7a # 1400, F7b # 1900, GP38-2 # 3084 repainted in tuscan & grey. I agree though. Love to see an AC-4400 in tuscan or even action red with a pacman.

As for the NS ones. If Athearn start bringing them out my wallet is soooo boned.

Athearn's going to do the EMDs...you don't have to settle for the MTH models. And maybe these beauties will serve as an impetus for Athearn to get to the old Tower 55 GEVO tooling they bought a while back.

Athearn's going to do the EMDs...you don't have to settle for the MTH models. And maybe these beauties will serve as an impetus for Athearn to get to the old Tower 55 GEVO tooling they bought a while back.

Lets hope this does spur on some more production from the nice people at Athearn. I wouldn't touch mth with an elongated barge pole. But that belongs in a different thread.

Craig, have you seen any announcement from them yet? All I've heard/seen so far is that Fox Valley are doing several in N.

And NS was heard to mention that their normal paint jobs were $17,000 and that these cost anywhere from 20-50% more...my Penn Central probably at the low end of that :).

Just assuming that the average loco in this series has cost $6,000 more than the usual paint job, then the full set of 20 has cost the company about $120,000. I wonder how much publicity you could buy for that sort of money and whether it would have anything like the impact?

Any plans for a vote on a favourite livery, as someone suggested earlier in the thread?

Best wishes

Eric

If you or anyone else want to start a new thread with a Poll for all the variants I'd be happy, give them a chance to vote for their 5 favourites, for example.

I'm having a lot of problems getting into threads let alone starting one, at present, due to almost continuous SQL problems....

Best, Pete.

Archived