Camden Shed

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Pete. I know what you mean about the subconscious solving things.

I should have been clearer that the scenic side is accessible from both sides due to the T shaped loft design. So hopefully my just-under-5' wide boards are effectively only 2'6" ish. As can be seen from my model model:

attachicon.gifIMG_0798.JPG

By lengthwise board divisions, I meant to follow the trackbed, not in straight lines. So I hope I'd avoid the shallow angles to which you rightly draw attention.

The more I think about it though, the more my mind is drawn to the most level and solid baseboards I've seen, those on Little Bytham. Tony Wright enlisted the help of a friend who is an excellent carpenter to build the boards in situ. If I go that way, I can't start building until the house is completed. I could build some of the track in modules, but probably not the mainline track as that ought to draw some lessons from Norman Solomon's DVD. But most of the shed s&c work could be built in isolation I guess?

I'll let the subconscious continue to turn up ideas. In the meantime, anything useful is welcome.

Thanks,

Iain

Not easy to split lengthwise,  as mentioned above.

The model of the model helps to visualise everything very well.

Perhaps construction could be started on the fiddle yard, and the end curves, leaving the main scenic boards to be built in situ when you have moved in.?

On Paisley St James, I have started construction of some of the more complex pieces of track work off the board to give good all-round access during building.

The only other worry that I can see is the possibility of the scenic boards being damaged if you try and move round the edge of the scenic side. The rafters and roof timbers may force a bit of a reverse limbo dance. 

Best of luck with it.

Regards

Ian

• 1 month later...

It's been an up and down few weeks. A huge amount of work to do in the first three weeks of July has at last subsided.

My club is hosting the English Amateur Championship this week. I entered somewhat speculatively, thinking that I couldn't not enter with it being at home, that it would be touch and go whether I could be physically capable of playing by now anyway, and certainly dubious whether my handicap would be low enough to get in. Well, I did get in and this meant I had a race on to develop some sort of game in time to be at least not embarrassing.

post-10140-0-30841000-1501925565_thumb.jpg

Played round 1 and, while I was a bit scrappy, there was plenty of good stuff and a chance to qualify for the match play (top 64 of 288 only go through). However, it proved to be too much too soon, and I was in too much discomfort to play the next day. Thankfully it's not the same as I had before but back to the drawing board/treatment table.

The long-running saga of the house build continued: for a while I thought that the dilatory pace of the convenyancing had slowed to geological time, and it might never happen. Amazing, however, what happens when you turn up in person. So finally, on Monday, we completed on the land and construction is about to start. Camden Shed mk2 will have a home.

In between various things I've started a couple more locos. The weather hasn't been good enough to paint, line and weather any of the ones I've got to that stage.

This one will be obvious I guess. I picked up a secondhand Comet Scot on eBay for a very decent price and it seems to be going together well.

post-10140-0-56337100-1501926425_thumb.jpg

This one will need some explanation. It is my first effort at a complete scratchbuild. Something about the challenge of this that excites me, but I never saw the point of scratchbuilding something that would end up a lot worse than a decent kit or modified rtr. So I had to choose something that was not, is not, and would never be, available.

post-10140-0-16433500-1501926439_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-73642400-1501926492_thumb.jpg

I'll document both in time on the Motive Power for Camden Shed thread.

Iain

• Like 14

The chassis looks like the Stanier never built eight coupled express loco. If it is i will be eager to see how it all comes together.

Richard

Close, Richard. Smaller drivers at 5'3" though. It's the proposed Powell BR 6P7F 2-8-2 from the RCTS book. Clan boiler, Ivatt Duchess-like cab. It will be a slow burn I suspect, but I'll share how I get on.

Iain

• Like 3

Hi Iain,

Good to see things are progressing with you.Your scratch build is going to be an interesting one to follow.

When I scratch built my Duchess, the most frustrating part for me was trying to hold the smallest piece being made between thumb and finger while it was being filed to it`s required shape, so best of luck with that.

Cheers just now,

Jim.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Iain, really sorry to hear about your back injury-operation, and the trials associated with your new home build, I do drop in occasionally to see how you are going, the mark ll is an interesting challenge, but at least you will have the space. Love the motive power developments also. I have been fully absorbed at work for at least two years now, and it isn't letting up, however I thought this might interest you, its 1932, the modernisation has begun, you see the town end of the main shed roof has been removed, what a building it was, what a loss. There are a number of points of interest, one being the original elevated signal box (just under the parachute tank) and importantly a bit more of that wall. The photo was taken by ER.Wethersett, I found it in a book by Brian Stephenson, LMS Album No3. As you can see I have messed the photo up a bit trying to hide the binding, but I intend to buy another copy, plus the full set of three volumes anyway, it's perfect for me, a little early for you. As always, best regards, Stanley

post-11084-0-71155800-1508553879_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1BCamden
  • Like 5

Great to hear from you again, Stanley. Sorry that work has been so consuming. Hope all is well otherwise.

Thanks for that photo. The old shed was indeed a remarkable building, although it might have been easier to build than the later one due to the roof?

Best wishes,

Iain

Thanks, the photo really does gives a sense of scale even though it was known as a cramped site. Yes the roof, no getting away from that one, I've invested heavily into Hornby Plll coaches so I can't go back in time now, anyway if Vincent can do it so can we !!

Regarding other matters, and specifically your layout and the gradient question, I have pondered this question long and hard, and the issue remains unresolved, gradients and prototypical train lengths don't go, slight changes (slow lines below the bridge, and all lines after the canal) more a gesture really, are okay but that's about it, ask TheLaird (13/05/2013) he really found out the hard way, great lesson for us all when running steam era layouts, and you can't double head everything out of Euston, even though it would look great. I basically redesigned (on paper) both fiddle yards based on a no (minimal) gradient approach.

PS hope you take the cheese/bread board with you for the move, you should patent it, cheese/soldering bread board

Best regards, Stanley

Edited by 1BCamden

Hi Iain, really sorry to hear about your back injury-operation, and the trials associated with your new home build, I do drop in occasionally to see how you are going, the mark ll is an interesting challenge, but at least you will have the space. Love the motive power developments also. I have been fully absorbed at work for at least two years now, and it isn't letting up, however I thought this might interest you, its 1932, the modernisation has begun, you see the town end of the main shed roof has been removed, what a building it was, what a loss. There are a number of points of interest, one being the original elevated signal box (just under the parachute tank) and importantly a bit more of that wall. The photo was taken by ER.Wethersett, I found it in a book by Brian Stephenson, LMS Album No3. As you can see I have messed the photo up a bit trying to hide the binding, but I intend to buy another copy, plus the full set of three volumes anyway, it's perfect for me, a little early for you. As always, best regards, Stanley

attachicon.gif1B 1932.jpg

What a terrible sight. a bl**dy MR 4F on Camden shed.

• Like 1

Thanks, the photo really does gives a sense of scale even though it was known as a cramped site. Yes the roof, no getting away from that one, I've invested heavily into Hornby Plll coaches so I can't go back in time now, anyway if Vincent can do it so can we !!

Regarding other matters, and specifically your layout and the gradient question, I have pondered this question long and hard, and the issue remains unresolved, gradients and prototypical train lengths don't go, slight changes (slow lines below the bridge, and all lines after the canal) more a gesture really, are okay but that's about it, ask TheLaird (13/05/2013) he really found out the hard way, great lesson for us all when running steam era layouts, and you can't double head everything out of Euston, even though it would look great. I basically redesigned (on paper) both fiddle yards based on a no (minimal) gradient approach.

PS hope you take the cheese/bread board with you for the move, you should patent it, cheese/soldering bread board

Best regards, Stanley

Ha! The little wooden board has been so useful. It’s even been to China with me when I’ve taken something to build in the evenings.

I’m now pretty set on the basic layout for mk2. See below.  The only gradients will be the beginning of the dive-under on the slow/dc lines, and the engine line for light engine reversals back to the shed, so hopefully it will be ok.

What a terrible sight. a bl**dy MR 4F on Camden shed.

. Not a fan, Jol? I’ve got a pic of one in the mid 50’s on a train past the Shed. Not sure whether it’s ecs or not.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday sticking together the templot plans for the scenic side.

post-10140-0-54096000-1508673383_thumb.jpeg

post-10140-0-16224700-1508673397_thumb.jpeg

It doesn’t have the goods yard on it yet, but I’m just going to build this in as much room as I can afford, so it will likely get planned and built after the rest is done. This plan will give me the chance to test out whether all of the buildings and the two bridges fit where they ought to, or whether I need to adjust anything. I can see that the rough stores and coaling tower area are slightly cramped given how large I know those two models to be. I planned it over the top of the track plan as described in one of the earlier posts, which should make it somewhere near the right arrangement, but it wasn’t the OS map or official track layout.

This also gives me a much better chance to plan the board cuts, as I can draw on switch blades, crossings and tortoise positions in bright colours. I just find this a lot easier than on computer. I am still quite keen on the lengthways split of the mainlines from everything else, because they are effectively almost a separate layout to the goods yard on one side and the mpd on the other. Graham’s suggestion of the cut line around the scissors will work with care, and may be a lot more reliable than having so many crossways splits.

Anyone interested in the further production of motive power can see on the other thread that I’ve completed the construction of the Scot.

post-10140-0-50325800-1508673734_thumb.jpeg

Iain

• Like 10

. Not a fan, Jol? I’ve got a pic of one in the mid 50’s on a train past the Shed. Not sure whether it’s ecs or not.

Iain

A fan of the Midland Railway and its  locos, Iain? No, black engines and lake/white carriages are much to be preferred.

I became disillusioned with the MR when I got interested in the LMS and and over time read up on the early days when the MR management took over the major positions in the LMS. They effectively held things back for years by failing to recognise that their policies weren't really suitable for the new LMS.

So to despoil Camden Shed with  indifferent MR locos is not a good thing.

Jol

• Like 1

Never fear, Jol. There will be no 4Fs on my version.

However, getting away without any Jinties will be difficult. Indeed, I’ve built a couple of Comet/Bachmann hybrids,and would like to build a LRM version at some point. Were they indifferent? I thought they were reasonably well rated for what they did?

Iain

• 1 month later...

Hi Iain,

I haven’t looked in for a while but great to catch up on Camden Shed. The templot plan looks great and the space you are creating for the layout looks very impressive. I’m very much looking forward to seeing the MK2 version develop as I enjoyed reading the updates on the previous version.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

3 pics to explain where we are at this point:

Camden Shed dismantled and ready to join a few of Gordon’s old boards at the local tip:

attachicon.gifD5B89504-D945-44C8-83F5-4C7301237DA7.jpeg

The inside of the shed ready to build all the s&c for mk2:

attachicon.gif47FDBE6A-1259-4005-B1D7-3C7831744369.jpeg

The new home for Camden Shed mk2. This is last week and the roof is going on now. This is a bigger space than I’d even imagined at 40’ give or take an inch. The layout will sit lower at about 35” not 42” but most of the scenic side will be accessible from both sides as it will be in the centre section.

attachicon.gif339191DE-0CE1-4B02-B3E2-B334E335A916.jpeg

Iain

I was there on Tuesday.  They're putting together one hell of a layout in the main hall......I think they're affiliated to the major show in Bracknell now..... :biggrin_mini2:

Oh to have 40' to play around with!  That's a wonderful space.

Maybe you should be doing it in 0 gauge instead.....

• Like 2

I was there on Tuesday.  They're putting together one hell of a layout in the main hall......I think they're affiliated to the major show in Bracknell now..... :biggrin_mini2:

Oh to have 40' to play around with!  That's a wonderful space.

Maybe you should be doing it in 0 gauge instead.....

Look forward to showing you round in due course.

O gauge - not for me at this point. I realise how lucky I am to have 40’ and part of what I want from Camden Shed is the detail, buildings, grot and atmosphere, but at the same time being able to run full length trains behind big locos in an authentic setting. So it’s 4mm for the moment.

Iain

• Like 2

Look forward to showing you round in due course.

O gauge - not for me at this point. I realise how lucky I am to have 40’ and part of what I want from Camden Shed is the detail, buildings, grot and atmosphere, but at the same time being able to run full length trains behind big locos in an authentic setting. So it’s 4mm for the moment.

Iain

Hi Iain,

You could always go 2mm! You could have a huge amount in 40ft!

I’ve temploted out the whole of Grantham station, yard and shed as it was in the late 50’s/early 60’s. The plan runs from Harlaxton Road bridge to the Great North Road overbridge. Works out at around 9m of scenic section in 2mm. I’m hoping to have the space to build it one day.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

Good luck with the new Camden Shed, in the new location.

My Hobbyroom looked like yours currently is, 2 years ago. When we ran out of money during our conversion from a bungalow to a chalet bungalow/ house. I am on the last leg now just got the blinds to save up for. Then I can start building my dream layout (although it’s probably going to be about half the size of yours).

post-8832-0-16312300-1513290458_thumb.jpeg

post-8832-0-54780900-1513290509_thumb.jpeg

• Like 13

My Hobbyroom looked like yours currently is, 2 years ago. When we ran out of money during our conversion from a bungalow to a chalet bungalow/ house. I am on the last leg now just got the blinds to save up for. Then I can start building my dream layout (although it’s probably going to be about half the size of yours).

attachicon.gif0580A30C-0D3E-4EA6-A163-A2241F13E117.jpeg

attachicon.gifF3CA3C97-3AE7-4B85-81B1-08CDDA05F614.jpeg

WOW  :O    Just bloomin  W O W, Nigel. :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

attachicon.gif0580A30C-0D3E-4EA6-A163-A2241F13E117.jpeg

attachicon.gifF3CA3C97-3AE7-4B85-81B1-08CDDA05F614.jpeg

Is there a jealous button to hit here. What a lovely bright comfortable working space.

• RMweb Gold

3 pics to explain where we are at this point:

Camden Shed dismantled and ready to join a few of Gordon’s old boards at the local tip:

attachicon.gifD5B89504-D945-44C8-83F5-4C7301237DA7.jpeg

The inside of the shed ready to build all the s&c for mk2:

attachicon.gif47FDBE6A-1259-4005-B1D7-3C7831744369.jpeg

The new home for Camden Shed mk2. This is last week and the roof is going on now. This is a bigger space than I’d even imagined at 40’ give or take an inch. The layout will sit lower at about 35” not 42” but most of the scenic side will be accessible from both sides as it will be in the centre section.

attachicon.gif339191DE-0CE1-4B02-B3E2-B334E335A916.jpeg

Iain

you may have 40' room for a layout. But boy it looks a wee bit drafty lad. Edited by farren