RMweb is now part of the Warners family

Andy Y

Dear Andy,

I would just like to add my own best wishes to you and RMWeb going forward. This is a tremendous opportunity for you. I have never fully understood how this site was funded, being free to members, until I read your opening announcement. It must feel great to have everything now on a proper financial footing and the security that gives you to improve the site further.

Regards,

Brian.

I've just refreshed the front page 10 times.

The top banner advert changed and showed about 8 adverts. The right hand side advert, advertising the London Festival of Railway Modelling (the Warners show at Ally Pally), was a permanent feature.

Is this just coincidence or a sign of things to come?

• RMweb Gold

The top banner advert changed and showed about 8 adverts. The right hand side advert, advertising the London Festival of Railway Modelling (the Warners show at Ally Pally), was a permanent feature.

Does it really matter?

I'm skeptical about this. This is a major loss of independence. None of the major magazines, including the Warners stable, ever publish anything more than mildly critical of the major suppliers - even when gross errors are made. We need critical reviews, and this move will ineviatbaly decrease this, as the site will have to hew to the corporate overview. Whilst it might not happen overnight, expect the site to increasingly "follow tyhe line". I was thinking about starting a blog here. I won't now.

• RMweb Gold

You still here ?

I've just done it 10 times.

4 times I got absolute aspects - a sign of things to come ?

2 times I got the Warner show

2 times I got the link to the announcement

1 time I got the Nottingham show

1 time I got Ian Morton

Last year Andy Y did some very useful reviews of models, and one that comes particularly to mind showed the NRM Midland Compound running on a length of track. Unlike the usual 4-4-0 gait, this model ran so smoothly with no lateral occilation that I immedietly placed my order. I commented at the time that no printed magazine could do this or indeed have the same immediacy. Will this competetive element now be withdrawn from RMweb with the link up with Warners?

PS : Thinking about it, I don't suppose it will seeing as Warners are promoting this site and therefore any reviews.

Congratulations Andy for all the effort that you have put into the site over the last few years.

Just one item how dose this effect photos that you have taken for other mags for articels written by us members but not yet published. Will you still be doing this work/

Peter

Does it really matter?

[

To some I'm sure it does. If it doesn't to you, feel free not to comment further.

You still here ?

I've just done it 10 times.

4 times I got absolute aspects - a sign of things to come ?

2 times I got the Warner show

2 times I got the link to the announcement

1 time I got the Nottingham show

1 time I got Ian Morton

Afraid so, just as much right to be here as you.

You talking about the top banner - which I said changes - or the side banner, which didn't change for me?

• RMweb Gold

You mean to say you actually take that much notice of the ads the ads on here? If I see an ad which interests me I might follow it otherwise I don't even notice their presence, especially if they're there all the time (but then I don't bother with them on tv either).

The right hand side advert, advertising the London Festival of Railway Modelling (the Warners show at Ally Pally), was a permanent feature.

Warners paid for that advert, the banner ad was done on rotation (again it was paid for).

Whichever way I don't view it as a problem.

I'm skeptical about this. This is a major loss of independence. None of the major magazines, including the Warners stable, ever publish anything more than mildly critical of the major suppliers - even when gross errors are made. We need critical reviews, and this move will ineviatbaly decrease this, as the site will have to hew to the corporate overview. Whilst it might not happen overnight, expect the site to increasingly "follow tyhe line". I was thinking about starting a blog here. I won't now.

Please do make a point of going back and reading what I've written before making erroneous conclusions but particularly this one http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53025-rmweb-is-now-part-of-the-warners-family/page__view__findpost__p__629359 about where I draw the line.

Yes but given your obvious dislike of the changes I thought you would have been off to other climes by now.

As I said about 6 pages ago, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and hope that my concerns are proven to be false - and that's not something that is likely to happen one way or the other in the space of less than a day, is it?

• RMweb Gold

Andy, i've spotted your plan when you said "There again some folk wouldn't be content unless they were moaning (as Mrs Y says to me when we're shopping)." Its the bit in brackets. You've really only done this to escape shopping. When Mrs Y says she needs to go and look at the latest griddle pan, suddenly a mysterious work issue will crop up. Out Mrs Y goes and 2 hrs of modeling time is yours. GENIUS. (That is until you get caught)

Seriously, good luck and best wishes.

• RMweb Gold

As I said about 6 pages ago, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and hope that my concerns are proven to be false - and that's not something that is likely to happen one way or the other in the space of less than a day, is it?

Why don't you wait and see then, instead of raining on the big parade?

Whinge when it happens - and only when it happens.

• RMweb Gold

What the detractors haven't supplied is their alternative means to:

1. pay for a large dedicated web server, forever,

and

2. employ someone full time to run this web site.

This is the best possible future for RMweb, perhaps the only possible future. If it takes a few advertisements dotted about the site to keep the show on the road, so what? It's a proof of the site's worth that advertisers want space on here.

Wishing Andy and all involved all the best for the future, and for the further development of this great modelling resource he has created. smile.gif

Martin.

Will this competetive element now be withdrawn from RMweb with the link up with Warners?

If anything it should mean there'll be more opportunity to share resources within the group to give readers more useful stuff like this.

Archived