RMweb is now part of the Warners family

Andy Y

Ah well, I've just read the entire thread wondering what on earth people were talking about with the colour scheme, then when I came to say so I realised I wasn't logged in. Having logged in, I can now answer my own question :-)

Change is always unsettling, becoming part of the Warners empire is, in my opinion, on the whole a good thing. Yes people are bound to start worrying and very probably there will be changes. Some we will like and some we will not like, but that's life.

Anyway all I would add is that Andy has done a superb job with Rmweb and now that he's a full time Admin it can only get better.

Andy, many thanks for all that you have done and good fortune for the future

Andy,

Good news, well done.

RM web is my reading of choice and will continue to be so.

Just as in everything else in life, some posts on here are pure information gold, most posts are well intentioned and can be taken at face value, some need to be treated with caution, and others make me ruminate on whether it is really wise to have universal enfranchisement, (just joking on the last point before a proportion of the population faints).

Come on people give it a chance and relax a bit, watch Kelly's Hero's and get on a mental par with Donald Sutherland as Sergeant Oddball - 'keep the perspective people - don't give out those negative vibes - stay positive '.

Just see how it evolves and then if you don't like it head off somewhere else.

Regards

Matt W

Guest Natalie Graham

We have had quite a fww posts criticising people voicing concerns and suggesting they just see what happens and if they don't like it find another forum, but isn't it better that people set out their concerns so that Andy and Warners are aware of what people are worried about rather than potentially making some change that no-one has suggested they would not like and then wondering why some people no longer post?

• RMweb Gold

We have had quite a fww posts criticising people voicing concerns and suggesting they just see what happens and if they don't like it find another forum, but isn't it better that people set out their concerns so that Andy and Warners are aware of what people are worried about rather than potentially making some change that no-one has suggested they would not like and then wondering why some people no longer post?

I think Natalie, that the bafflement is over why people are doubtful. Until yesterday, this was Andy Y's virtual house, with his rules, his ideas, his energies, and to an extent his funds too. Now Andy has merely ceased to own the forum, but is still chief mover and shaker, cook and bottlewasher - albeit with interested parties alongside who pay his salary. Those parties bought RMeb as a going concern, not a knocked up has-been, so they have minimal cause to chop and change against Andy's advice.

Did we tell Andy how to run his forum in the past? Why are some of us telling the world how bad it's gonna be now?

I think Natalie, that the bafflement is over why people are doubtful.

Two things for me; firstly experience from other previously independent forums that have been taken over by a commercial entity, and secondly Warners are not the most popular name on many modeller's lips.

If the deal had been with, say, ModelRail, then perhaps I'd only have the first concern.

Perhaps there are many other doubters who have simply kept their opinions quiet, or left already, having seen the treatment those of us who have raised concerns have received in this thread.

Until yesterday, this was Andy Y's virtual house, with his rules, his ideas, his energies, and to an extent his funds too. Now Andy has merely ceased to own the forum, but is still chief mover and shaker, cook and bottlewasher - albeit with interested parties alongside who pay his salary. Those parties bought RMeb as a going concern, not a knocked up has-been, so they have minimal cause to chop and change against Andy's advice.

Did we tell Andy how to run his forum in the past? Why are some of us telling the world how bad it's gonna be now?

Quite, but as Andy himself posted on this thread - feedback allows him to gauge whether or not he's carrying the majority of the membership with him or not. The most successful innovations he's introduced are those which have had the majority buy-in.

Clearly, the Warners takeover isn't open to debate (and needn't have been), being a fait accompli but if concerns are voiced they can be noted and hopefully addressed.

The recent trend where any sort of doubt is jumped upon as somehow unpatriotic is a bit disappointing.

It goes against the ethos of "community" involvement and promotes an "us and them" approach where the membership should just sit back and hope for the best. This can't entirely be the intent of the Admin team, or the special interest groups wouldn't have been set up with non-Admin leaders, ie taking on input from the wider membership. Look how a proactive inclusive approach has led to some thriving forum sections, an excellent example of where input has been taken from the wider membership.

Guest Natalie Graham

No of course we didn't tell him how to run the forum, but RMWeb has grown to be so susccesful because of what it is. This is a significant change to the basis on which the forum operates. Whether or not it results in any noticeable changes to the forum, be they for the good or otherwise we will see in due course, but it is perfectly understandable that people who hold the forum in high regard will have concerns about what this means for the future. Surely it is better that they express these concerns to allow them to be adressed if need be and issues avoided, rather than just disappear withoout saying anything should the things they are concerned about come to pass.

Sorry Natalie but after Ian's post.

What really is the point in just sitting back and criticizing or voicing concerns. Do you think they are suddenly going to say that the "critics are right we're going to reverse the decsion"? No, it just sounds like whinging or whining. You really have to put a positive spin on it and work to make it as you like. Do view it as an opportunity.

Best, Pete.

Perhaps there are many other doubters who have simply kept their opinions quiet, or left already, having seen the treatment those of us who have raised concerns have received in this thread.

Historically folk who hold such definite and strong opinions have no fear of contacting me directly via PM or email if things aren't to satisfaction. They must have gone shy this week then.

• RMweb Premium

Far as I'm concerned it is Andy's 'business' and with it he has done something really innovative and bold. Seemingly he has also got into secure employment. For both these things I say a hearty congratulations.

Good on ya matey.

Cheers from all at 36E (well me anyway).

• RMweb Premium

I've been lucky enough to meet Andy a couple of times , and I found him to be a straight up and down , tell it like it is

type of guy , he has given us his views on how he intends to take this forum on it's new journey , from what he has said

it does'nt look like he wants to make swathing changes , nor do Warners . Maybe a tweak here and there .

I'm happy to sit back and see how it go's , so are many others on here , and I'm sure some of Andys team know even more

than we have been told , so if it stays much as it is that will be great , but if it go's a way people no longer really like

then I'm sure he will get the message and work accordingly .

Failing that , we form an orderly queue to punch his lights out . :punish:

edited for missing ' if '

What really is the point in just sitting back and criticizing or voicing concerns. Do you think they are suddenly going to say that the "critics are right we're going to reverse the decsion"? No, it just sounds like whinging or whining. You really have to put a positive spin on it and work to make it as you like. Do view it as an opportunity.

Best, Pete.

I'd like to speak for Andy here - that will really bug him I know but as I see it ... It is not so much negativity that has been expressed just caution. That same caution I read in Andy's first post that during the negotiations with Warners (and quite possibly coming from them also) were exactly the same concerns as have been expressed in this thread.Sure it is a done deal and now Warners are in control with Andy as an employee still directing the show - and we as members had no say in that - and why indeed should we? No reason at all.But for the future of the forum we all have a stake of sorts. No forum can survive without input from its members. If those members do not get en-mass what they come here for then the attraction will diminish and more will leave. It could simply degenerate to a library of static pages still with website traffic but entirely stale of the interaction, humour and fast response. The survival of a social media site depends entirely on the willingness of its members to participate.Some of that participation comes with members challenging the status quo and can be anything from Andy testing out a new style to the forum, a new way of using it or something we have no idea of yet. The responses - and I'm certain are not just limited to the public forum must be of use in validating the change. What some see as negative might just be part of the ongoing evolutionary process.I think there are a lot of us who have held on through thick and thin and despite everything still find this place the best place to be and will continue to support it. There is nowhere quite like it and I really cannot see Warners allowing it to fail. Sure they almost certainly will want to put their identity on it but that could be a good thing and I think they have an opportunity to really put themselves out in front of the rest.Just, please, be gentle with the changes.....Isn't it about time for a competition ... it seems like it has been a long time since the last one(sorry Andy, I know you are still trying to sort out the last one)

Hi Andy,

This is really good news. I am so pleased for you and your family that this has turned out so successfully....I remember about 6 years ago when we were conversing on the BRM Forum, and you asked me the question "Do you think a good railway modelling website would be a good idea".....look where we are now.

You have shown amazing enthusiasm throughout RMwebs life, keeping it running where many others would have thrown in the towel.

You and RMweb deserve every success that is coming your way.....certainly my railway modelling over the life span of RMweb has come on leaps and bounds, thanks to its membership.

Onwards and upwards Andy.........many congratulations....most deserved.

Bob.

PS....that invite to come and play trains still stands........but I understand you might have been a tad busy these last couple of months.

Guest Natalie Graham

What really is the point in just sitting back and criticizing or voicing concerns.

Here is an example. At least one person has posted that they regard a few extra advets as a small price to pay for the continuation of the forum. I tend to agree if it came down to that choice, hopefully it never will, but a number of people have posted they wouldn't like to see more ad content on the site. Now supposing somewhere down the line Warners raise the idea of increasing the ad content of the site. If the only feedback is from people who say they are in favour of, or wouldn't mind, that then there would be no reason for Andy to object, other than his own views on the issue, whatever they might be. On the other hand if a number of people have said this is a concern they have about the new arrangement then this is something which Andy would be aware could cause some people to leave and could bring to the discussion with Warners. However anyone saying they don't want this to lead to more ads is being criticised by others as being negative and told if they don't like it go elsewhere. That is the real negativity.

I am not criticising or complaining about the decision, as I posted earlier it has nothing to do with me, I only read and post sometimes and if Andy had turned this down he would have been mad. I am just saying that it is understandable that people who care about the forum will have concerns and they should be able to voice them in a reasonable manner without being told by other posters, 'If you don't like it, leave'

• RMweb Gold
I am just saying that it is understandable that people who care about the forum will have concerns and they should be able to voice them in a reasonable manner without being told by other posters, 'If you don't like it, leave'

Hi Natalie,

Sure, but then you also have to say what is your alternative? Ask Andy how much the server costs per month. Ask him how much time he would have to run RMweb if he was to find other full-time employment.

This is the only possible way forward for a site of this size and growing. Andy is to be congratulated on getting this deal to build a secure future for his creation.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Historically folk who hold such definite and strong opinions have no fear of contacting me directly via PM or email if things aren't to satisfaction. They must have gone shy this week then.

The term is normally "Keyboard Warriors"

Archived