Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

I remember looking at that thread on the old Forum, long before I ever thought of joining up. I recall there's another thread on the current Forum dedicated to modifying sleeper spacing on standard Peco track.

Btw, is that a picture of you in the signalbox, Dave? And, if I might ask, what was all that business of some guy effectively being a cyber-stalker with you? Who is he? what's he been upto? Fair enough if you don't wish to comment, but PM me if you do.

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I'm happy to let you know about some of the characters, but not publically, they are very fond of screen shots and using them out of context, and we don't want to distract from your excellent work, I'll send you a PM with a summary (sorry stalkers :beee: ), then you can form your own view on matters.

Yes, that's me, taken a couple of week ago :no:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

I'm happy to let you know about some of the characters, but not publically, they are very fond of screen shots and using them out of context, and we don't want to distract from your excellent work, I'll send you a PM with a summary (sorry stalkers :beee: ), then you can form your own view on matters.

Yes, that's me, taken a couple of week ago :no:

I always thought you were young - chasing after all those owls with your camera!

Cheers Dave.

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

I'm glad you like my comment. I've always been a fan of the one-liner/micro joke.

I very rarely post as I am unfortunately only an armchair modeller these days. The last layout I had was over 25 years ago when I was about 14. I've always been interested in railways both 12" to the foot and smaller scales.

I generally tend to post if I can add something to the topic whether someone has asked for advice or opinion etc. My experiences are generally inferior to those of posting members in both modelling and prototype knowledge.

I think you have an excellent layout and it does help I lean towards LMR as my preferred region. I've always been interested in the S&C and watching you build those curved viaducts got me hooked. I've always been a fan of a decent viaduct

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/25859-your-favourite-uk-railway-structure/page__st__50&do=findComment&comment=265250

Keep up the good work. I'll be lurking with interest, but then again now I've taken the plunge I may be bantering a bit more. Seeing as you managed to get me to break radio silence with your liking of the joke, I'll leave you with another.

Cigarettes are like Weasels, perfectly harmless until you put one in your mouth and set fire to it.

Boogy

(I'll get my coat)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Boogy,

Welcome to the "insanity club", otherwise known as Kirkby Luneside. It certainly helps if you have a sense of humour!

One interesting comment you made - your experience being inferior... I think that's true of loads of people, myself included. I decided it was better to just "go with the flow" and see what happened - and it's been great fun for the last year (I lurked for a good few years previously).

So please feel free to offer comments at any time. Your "outside perspective" may well see things that others don't. And the more contributors to this "pit of madness", the better!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Edit: Great photograph, btw!

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Hope the badgers are Ok

Here's our improving Peco points thread on the old forum for those reading about Jeff's excellent work and who may be interested in improving the Peco offering to correct the problem with badgersmetioned above by Coach

http://www.rmweb.co....php?f=8&t=13627

Those alterations do make the Peco track look fantastic, as does the ballasting. If only you kicked this Loony Kerbsider up the backside whilst my track was up. I noted the original post on the old forum was in December 2007......I was a relative newbie still finding his way around then. Do you have any shots from the side of the altered points? Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Those alterations do make the Peco track look fantastic, as does the ballasting. If only you kicked this Loony Kerbsider up the backside whilst my track was up. I noted the original post on the old forum was in December 2007......I was a relative newbie still finding his way around then. Do you have any shots from the side of the altered points?

Hi Coach,

Sorry, not directly, I'll look through the shots I've got of Widnes and see if there's anything, but it will be Sunday (probably) before I get a round tuit.

I am a PECO MODELLER and that is because I am a lazey B and impatient and I want trains running the same day as I start building the baseboard, hahah.

Nothing wrong with PECO modelling as at exhibitions it encorages the viewing public to realise that a good exhibition layout can be built out of the box.

However I do admire the likes of Jeff, Gordon, Dave (Tetleys) and many many more and that is why I follow this thread, and all hand built track threads, It is fantastic and educational.

Andy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am a PECO MODELLER and that is because I am a lazey B and impatient and I want trains running the same day as I start building the baseboard, hahah.

Nothing wrong with PECO modelling as at exhibitions it encorages the viewing public to realise that a good exhibition layout can be built out of the box.

However I do admire the likes of Jeff, Gordon, Dave (Tetleys) and many many more and that is why I follow this thread, and all hand built track threads, It is fantastic and educational.

Andy.

Cheers Andy. I do my best. But unlike Gordon, for example, I buy the handbuilt track, rather than making it. I'll definitely have a go at building some in the future, though.

Nothing wrong with Peco code 75 - properly set out it's as good as any home-made stuff that doesn't have care attached to it.

Btw, bl***y cool in the bunker today - and my track still hasn't arrived. So I'm going to read and play with my new phone!!

Btw2... I posted a comment on T last night. That layout of yours is going to be superb with the growing roster of O gauge locos, including the BWT. I think you will get me into O gauge at some stage in the future, Andy!!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Sorry folks, nothing new to report. You are all obviously having a quiet weekend as the usual deluge of discussions hasn't materialised!

A bit of time to think is always a good thing.

Jeff

FROZEN FINGER SYNDROME I FINK :O ,or just cant be ARSED, hehehe

I have just come back from walking the dogs, had a nice HOT milky coffee and a piece of chocolate fudge cake, so I am ready to go out and do some work. Luckyly I DO NOT HAVE TO GO OUTDOORS, and my little heater soon warmes my little room, so I am going to put in some dropper wires and a BUSS BAR as per the rest of you, :sungum: I felt left out and felt that I shoud up my game.

I do intend to do the next layout properly, (mind you I said that FIVE LAYOUTS AGO :senile: ).

It is the urge that I want to PLAY TRAINS that is my problem.

WRITE 100 LINES, ,...................... in joined up wrighting,.....................must try hadrer next time

Andy.

• Like 1

I was off listening to the Rugby, then went to cook our tea, chicken & leek pie tonight. Smells about ready now too.

You could always be getting on with that tunnel portal Jeff, no need to wait for that track to arrive before doing anything.

All of a sudden we all join in with a comment or two.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Cheers lads, I've missed a bit of that humour!

Andy - what IS the world coming to if you're fitting a track bus?! I hope we'll have the photographs to prove this work has been done?

I have to help a Cambridge applicant with some Physics tomorrow. After which I think I'll fit some more switches onto my control panel. And pray... "please Marcway, deliver your wonderful turnouts to one of your keen disciples" - so progress can be made next week!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I was off listening to the Rugby, then went to cook our tea, chicken & leek pie tonight. Smells about ready now too.

You could always be getting on with that tunnel portal Jeff, no need to wait for that track to arrive before doing anything.

All of a sudden we all join in with a comment or two.

Jim

Actually Jim, I can't. I don't know the distance between the mainline track centres as they enter the tunnel. As they cross the viaduct, it's 47mm, but the lines may need to diverge slightly to accommodate fitting the curved turnouts to the (at present incomplete) right side of the fiddle yard. So I may have to change the scaling of the portal from the diagram I posted a couple of days ago.

I really want to build it - and was disappointed when I realised I'd been stymied!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff you might scale the tunnel up 2% and hope...

Don't tempt me Rob! I'm itching to do something - so MUCH planned - but Sod's law would mean I'd just cut the portal and the bloomin' track would arrive. So for the sake of a few days... I added a comment on the "Evening Star" thread. I hope you'll be pleased with it - I got one last year and it looks, and performs, superb.

Jeff

No tunnels for me but I shall be busy today and this later week ... I have enough bullhead track finished and part-painted for 'before and after' shed scene photos, and soon to arrive are a Hornby s/h Battle of Britain '75 Squadron' unrebuilt Bulleid Pacific, a new Hornby B17 and the said new 9F all lined up for the week....

The bullhead track has been dipped in dilute black acrylic housepaint, will eventually have rails and chairs touched with grime and rust colours .... to dark to photograph right now and it's 11.30am damn spring weather. The wooden sleepers look quite good at a glance. Might experiment with dark grey-browns for main line scenes later. Each 10" track section takes a day for glue-setting. This fits in well with my pace-of-life here...

Rob

• RMweb Premium

No tunnels for me but I shall be busy today and this later week ... I have enough bullhead track finished and part-painted for 'before and after' shed scene photos, and soon to arrive are a Hornby s/h Battle of Britain '75 Squadron' unrebuilt Bulleid Pacific, a new Hornby B17 and the said new 9F all lined up for the week....

The bullhead track has been dipped in dilute black acrylic housepaint, will eventually have rails and chairs touched with grime and rust colours .... to dark to photograph right now and it's 11.30am damn spring weather. The wooden sleepers look quite good at a glance. Might experiment with dark grey-browns for main line scenes later. Each 10" track section takes a day for glue-setting. This fits in well with my pace-of-life here...

Rob

A part of me longs for the time when I can sit in the bunker and watch the trains go by, while the yard shunter does its stuff and the branch connection shuttles in and out. But we all know that once the building bug strikes it's hard to resist. No wonder so many layouts never get completed - the modeller starts a new one well before the previous one ends!

I'm sure we'll be seeing a few of your newly-acquired locos sat on the bullhead in front of your engine shed or stationbox. As soon as I have any kind of photogenic backgrounds - we're probably talking next summer - I'll put some pictures on here.

Jeff

We like the photos of anything. Even wiring under tables.

With this in mind I offer a formal inaugural photo of my shed with re-laid rail. Well some of it was re-laid...

Silas, passed fireman, (he never really wanted the away work), and shed foreman, wait for the camerman with tripod.. it occurs to me that the figure of Silas represents a giant man compared to the approx four-foot gauge of 00. There's a lesson in NOT looking right in that spot. I must avoid that in future.

post-7929-0-95863500-1354407832.jpg

and after they have left, Riddles 2-6-4T with odd light disguising the engine number and BR crest raising steam...

and someone has had a go at the colours in the picture...

post-7929-0-82873600-1354426015.jpg

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning Rob.

You can't keep a good man down. No sooner have you painted your sleepers and it's off to the photo area!

The track looks good. A little ballast on there and you're away! Yes, ballasting - there's a topic. Good discussion of that recently on gordon's Eastwood Town layout.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Gluing down track and ballasting in one go doesn't work as well with thick sleepers, although it is still neater than ballasting afterwards using the dropper method which, in the wrong hands (mine for instance), ends up looking like badly formed cake mix. I doubt ballasting would be the right term in the case of a shed yard......It should really be well flatenned ash and clinker.

Building coaches again at the mo, but as soon as the bench is cleared I intend having a go at splicing Peco points together to make a crossover with 45mm track centres....all this in the cosy warmth of indoors.

Good move Larry! When my track arrives I'll have to go into the bunker to fit it, but that's not too bad when you've something to look forward to. At the moment, with the outside temperature at -2C and the bunker at 3C, and with other commitments today, there's no point putting the heater on.

Control panel work in the kitchen tomorrow, I think.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Watch out Larrys upto his old tricks again! Which part of Greenfields is getting ripped up this time Larry?

I too have coaches on the bench (Well signalbox table), my WCJS compo sleeper (still - although it's almost done now!) a Ratio 48ft express brake third, and a Branchlines 45ft full brake. The van is just in for a bit of lining to be finished on the celerestory, and the third now needs buffers, couplings and lettering.

The WCJS needs just the glazing, lettering and the curtains fitting. The nudes have turned up and will be fitted too.

All after I've finished doing my rule book amendments!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Blimey Larry, I hope you don't rip up your external running lines as much as this!

The p-way had our crossing ripped up overnight, lets hope you don't leave as much mess as they did!

Andy G