ModelRail USTC 0-6-0 Tank Loco Project USA

Andy Y

Well after I fitted the sound chip, the next day I manage to stupidly loco left the layout on landed on the floor, so it's going into the works for repair! The smoke box handrail and buffer beam step broken off! You can imagine what sort of words I might have said!

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you got off lightly if that's the only damage. I'm afraid I can't offer any spares at present. Sometimes we have a faulty one that we can break for spares but at present that hasn't happened with the USAs. (CJL)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

As an aside, whilst enjoying a post-Granite Way cycle ride lunch at the Bulleid Cafe at Okehampton Station last week they have a lovely Bernard Jones print for sale of a BR liveried USA tank at Meldon station. Its on the wall near the ceiling if you want to see it. I have a photo but not sure about copyright.

Edited by ruggedpeak
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Good afternoon all.

Sorry to bother you all but i purchased one of these USA tank's and whilst looking at the enclosed instructions, i noticed that inside the ' bag of bits ' something that looks like two boards or whatever they are. (number 1 & 2 in pink on the instruction sheet)

Does anyone know what they are and what their purpose is / was  please ?

Many thanks for any replies.

andy

post-7447-0-74085800-1489674108_thumb.jpg

post-7447-0-55452000-1489674176_thumb.jpg

post-7447-0-27651000-1489674282_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Good afternoon all.

Sorry to bother you all but i purchased one of these USA tank's and whilst looking at the enclosed instructions, i noticed that inside the ' bag of bits ' something that looks like two boards or whatever they are. (number 1 & 2 in pink on the instruction sheet)

andy

attachicon.gifIMAG1517.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG1520.jpg

A hinged plate for the engine cleaner to stand on when clearing ash and char from the smokebox.

post-2274-0-92023000-1489675141_thumb.jpg

post-2274-0-84794800-1489675168_thumb.jpg

Two plates are provided, one for the horizontal position and on for the vertical position.

When fitting the latter, I needed to unscrew and raise the loco body slightly to get the plate lugs to fit into holes in the chassis.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

Good afternoon all.

andy

Thank you for that picture of the gorgeous Maunsell. It has taken all my self-control to stop at four of these wonderful models.

• Like 1

Having four is exercising self-control??? ;)   :D

They are truly superb. The Worth Valley one was hard to resist but I managed. I refuse to go near the site to see what else tempts me in case it does!

Edit: if CJL ever decides to do one in USATC grey, I’m a gonner.

Edited by No Decorum
  • Like 1

They are truly superb. The Worth Valley one was hard to resist but I managed. I refuse to go near the site to see what else tempts me in case it does!

I have the same problem: every time I look at what is available on the MR site, I am sorely tempted to buy another.

• Like 1

It's not me who decides. (CJL)

• Like 1

It carries a little, I'm sure, but if it carried REAL weight we'd be doing 18000 and the six-wheel Ro-Tank wagon and an 'H16' tank. Ooops, wish-listing again! (CJL)

18000! Oh bliss! Plus, of course, 18100, GT3 and E1000/E2001. I had high hopes of Heljan until it started wasting time by knocking out 0 gauge stuff. H16 also most acceptable.

Incidentally, I have read your reasons for producing the USATC in black but it doesn’t stop me hankering after a grey one.

Now I’m heading off to find out about Ro-Tanks!

Edit. Back again. I nearly lost a morning to a promising digression on Wikipedia but escaped. This one on Paul Bartlett’s site caught my eye. What lovely battering!

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsbeer/h1b742232#h1b742232

Edited by No Decorum
  • Like 2

18000! Oh bliss! Plus, of course, 18100, GT3 and E1000/E2001. I had high hopes of Heljan until it started wasting time by knocking out 0 gauge stuff. H16 also most acceptable.

Incidentally, I have read your reasons for producing the USATC in black but it doesn’t stop me hankering after a grey one.

Now I’m heading off to find out about Ro-Tanks!

Edit. Back again. I nearly lost a morning to a promising digression on Wikipedia but escaped. This one on Paul Bartlett’s site caught my eye. What lovely battering!

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsbeer/h1b742232#h1b742232

There's one standing derelict in the GWS centre at Didcot, complete with a tank trailer. I've seen pictures of them on the LMR behind a 'Duchess', on the WR behind a 'Castle' and on the Southern behind an 'E4'. It would be an obvious wagon for Oxford to do. (CJL)

• RMweb Premium

There's one standing derelict in the GWS centre at Didcot, complete with a tank trailer. I've seen pictures of them on the LMR behind a 'Duchess', on the WR behind a 'Castle' and on the Southern behind an 'E4'. It would be an obvious wagon for Oxford to do. (CJL)

Not forgetting the Latil road tractor that hauled them.

Thank you for that picture of the gorgeous Maunsell. It has taken all my self-control to stop at four of these wonderful models.

Forget self control Decorum, this Maunsell is brilliant.

I've already run it in, fitted a 6 pin decoder and fitted Kadee's.(#18's)

It's such a quiet locomotive, well worth it indeed.

andy

• Like 4

Forget self control Decorum, this Maunsell is brilliant.

I've already run it in, fitted a 6 pin decoder and fitted Kadee's.(#18's)

It's such a quiet locomotive, well worth it indeed.

andy

Sadly, my credit cards have clicked over and been viciously attacked already, so that’s that. As I have explained to my hangers on, I have a decent income which unfortunately is only paid once a month rather than the once a week which I “need”. I wouldn’t go for Maunsell anyhow – 30064 will suffice. I have to agree that the green is stunning and the running of all my four beyond reproach.

Could I just mention that the USA version has a gap underneath the smokebox, exposing the back of the bufferbeam? Even the springing of the drawhook behind the beam is modelled. (How Col. Hill thought GIs were supposed to empty the smokeboxes I do not know.)

Wonderful models – they got my vote for Steamer of the Year. I think I need a cold shower.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

I'm looking to have sound fitted to one of my USA tank engine's.

Has anyone had their locos sound fitted and if so, by whom please ?

Thanks all.

andy

Stocks of some 'USA' tanks are close to running out. See page 111 in the May issue of Model Rail. Southern No. 68 and the two plain black BR versions (early crest, and late crest weathered) are down to just a few since the magazine went to press. If you want 30069 or 30071 you need to be very quick, indeed! (CJL)

Stocks of some 'USA' tanks are close to running out. See page 111 in the May issue of Model Rail. Southern No. 68 and the two plain black BR versions (early crest, and late crest weathered) are down to just a few since the magazine went to press. If you want 30069 or 30071 you need to be very quick, indeed! (CJL)

Yeah even the Southern one is now sold out just about to order it and it disappeared after trying to buy it but had slight problems with the website. Samuel.

Edited by sc2016

• RMweb Premium

Now this project is coming to an end, I think it is time to say Thank You to Model Rail for actually doing it.

Stewart

I agree

PS I'd still like an S160 as well, please.