ModelRail USTC 0-6-0 Tank Loco Project USA

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Looks like I may have to buckle under the pressure. From the Tanfield website it appears that in common with the two Longbridge locos Ada ll and Austin 5, NCB 35 and 36 were also Davenports, Works numbers 2503, 2505, 2509 and 2595 respectively. Doubt if one will appear in Austin Lined Green RTR, and will be many years if it does. If only I could find a colour photo from the Bristol Road bridge to get the livery details.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Premium

The lack of wagons - particularly as commissions from magazines and retailers - is probably due to the fact that it is next to impossible to make any money out of them. Even the limited editions (where the commissioning buyer is only paying for the livery change, not the cost of tooling the wagon) are non-starters because by the time you've added the post packing and handling charge to the cost of the model and taken account of the 20%VAT, you're faced with a final price that is beyond what the market would deem reasonable. (CJL)

My local model railway club were considering commissioning a wagon from Dapol several years ago. It was of course an 'of the peg' model in an authentic livery. The price and minimum quantity (48) was very reasonable, and even cheaper if more than the minimum order was made. We calculated that even if we had the minimum quantity we could offer them at a reasonable price and break even when a little over half had been sold. The problem was calculating what the demand would be, if we made the minimum order would we sell out part way through our show or if we increased that order would we be left with unsold models that might result in a financial loss? Of course the club is not required to register for VAT and the intention was to sell the models at our annual show so no p&p costs were involved.

• RMweb Premium

Harburn Hobbies in Edinburgh seem to have a good line in specially commissioned wagons , so it is possible. Yes they are a bit more expensive but maybe only £2 or £3 more than the norm.

I suppose a lot depends on whether you start with an already expensive Bachmann model or a cheaper Hornby/Dapol/Oxford model. It would be interesting to find out from Chris at what point he deemed the final price unacceptable.

As we are back on topic, it seems that 300 Frank S Ross has arrived at Kernow. I’m being patient. Incontinent but patient.

Ah, my 3rd and last USA tank is about to arrive. The first time I have ordered a few shunting locos of the same class and not one is in black.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm told that 30071 is on its way to 36E. Yea, thanks Kernow and MR Mag. As long as I can adapt it to look more or less like 30062 then it can waddle through Seaton Junctionish sometime next year. Alternatively I might just pop it in a display case and put it on the mantlepiece for a while.

Philth

• RMweb Gold

Phoned Kernow yesterday morning to update my card details. This morning MR-106 BR black late crest (weathered) arrived. Thank you Kernow for your excellent customer service. Thanks also to Model Rail and Bachmann for producing a fantastic model.

post-25708-0-71960500-1476797001_thumb.jpgpost-25708-0-86673700-1476797015_thumb.jpg

Regards Paul.

• Like 12

Mine arrived yesterday too – another little beauty, for which many thanks, Model Rail and Bachmann.

When I tried to fit the brake rodding to mine, I had a little trouble fitting it into the rear hangers, which are rather close together and have holes not quite big enough. I drilled them out and discovered to my surprise that they are metal, not plastic, although the rest of the hangers are, I think, plastic. I have the brake rodding in place on all three of mine now (fourth on its way) but it might be worth noting that attempting to force the rodding into the rear hangers might break them. I hope this helps someone.

• Like 1

The last of my four arrived this morning in Southern black; Bachmann’s lovely lustrous black. This time with pipes but no boards to fit (mercifully). The K&WVR looks very tempting but I’ve just about got a grip and stopped at four. What a stunning production this has turned out to be. Many thanks again to Bachmann and Model Rail.

On behalf of Model Rail and all of us who contributed in whatever way to Project USA, I'd like to thank everyone for their kind comments. It's great to have happy customers. When we launched Model Rail 19 years ago, one of our bosses remarked to me that it would be good if one day we had a locomotive with the magazine name on the box. We achieved that with the Sentinel, of course, and as that proved successful we looked for another project. Project USA was initially very much Ben Jones's 'baby' and the fact that it wasn't cancelled owes much to Ben's tenacity in the early days and during the change of manufacturer. Subsequently, members of our editorial team, particularly Richard, and design staff at Bachmann, had to become more expert in the multitude of detail differences between USAs than they ever dreamed. Dealing with those which were not SR locomotives (the original USATC, NCB, LMR and Austin Longbridge examples for instance ) was complicated by the limited availability of pictures and choices were based on choosing one where we had sufficient info to make a reasonable stab at it. We are planning to have USAs available on the Model Rail stand at the Warley show. (CJL)

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I was looking to do an Austin Longbridge version, but have only come up with one B/W picture. That appears to show a detail difference to the cab side window, square rear cab window and no coal rails.

An appeal for any knowledge of more pictures on here got 120 views in a week but no responses.

Hi everyone, MR-105 and 106 arrived yesterday.

Great little locos.

Only comment I would have is I don't much like the splodges of black paint on the coupling rods of 30071, guess its supposed to be part of the weathering.

Will they clean off ok?

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikesndbs
  • Like 3

Hi everyone, MR-105 and 106 arrived yesterday.

Great little locos.

Only comment I would have is I don't much like the splodges of black paint on the coupling rods of 30071, guess its supposed to be part of the weathering.

Will they clean off ok?

Cheers

Mike

I've just checked mine and there are no black splodges on the coupling rods. Is it oil from the mechanism which has got spread around in transit? You could phone Kernow and ask them to exchange it for one without black splodges. If you try to remove it, you may well remove the weathering and end up with pristine rods on a dirty loco. Looking at mine again, after viewing your movie, I can confirm there is no black on the rods. However, I have noticed that mine (already having done a fair amount of work and handling) is starting to lose the weathering off the rods, and they are bright underneath. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I received 30071 this week. It is going to become the Meldon Pilot.....or is it? This is such a superb model and beautifully finished that I wonder if I should 'spoil' it by converting it. Maybe I'll get another if Baccy/MR/Kernow decide that the Meldon version is worth a punt (hint.......) or I might just get another suitable donor and convert that as this item is worth just sitting in a display case in my lounge to be admired for its workmanship. This has to be one of the best looking loco models for a long while despite some thinking it had/has an ugly prototype.

Even the enclosed paperwork is top notch with beautiful diagrams and clear instructions.

Thanks you Dibber and Co, Baccy and kernow (excellent service as always).

Total bargain.

Phil @ SOSJ 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1