The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas

rcf

The first service of the day arriving at Osney.

post-15694-0-99377200-1360163701_thumb.jpg

and a less cruel shot taken from further away!

post-15694-0-91294600-1360163723_thumb.jpg

I have had this bubble car for very many years and it sees only limited use but it provides some variety at shows. As has been suggested it would be nice to replace it with something more appropriate for the area and of better quality but that is unlikely at the moment.

Rob

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Rob,

Could you make the rear line exit on the left end as well ? I realise you don't have room at home for a second FY, but it might make operations a bit more interesting at exhibitions.

Stu

My "florists wire" bundle arrived this morning so hopefully over the next few weeks I can have a go at making some trees and perhaps some bushes/hedge as per your instructions.

Will report back in due course.

Great. I read on your own thread that you were hoping to use trees as a view blocker. Maybe you can make some decent sized trees as opposed to my large bushes. I look forward to seeing the results.

Hi Rob

The layout is looking fantastic, your trees and bushes great too.

RAY70B

Thanks Ray.

Rob,

Could you make the rear line exit on the left end as well ? I realise you don't have room at home for a second FY, but it might make operations a bit more interesting at exhibitions.

Stu

I am saddened, saddened, Stu. Obviously you have been too busy making great buildings to accomodate toilets and not reading my thread! :no:  :no: Osney has two fiddle yards, one at each end. ( how do I get this off bold?)

Cheers Rob

Rob,

A great little layout,very impressive.

If you are looking for something smaller in coaches you could try a couple of the Slaters 4 wheel ones. I believe these lasted into the 1950's on workmens trains, which would also fit well into your Welsh colliery scenario. I expect by that time they would be pretty decrepit, so a weathering challenge.

The arrival of a coulple of filthy four wheelers with wooden seats would probably put the lady on the platform into a state of shock !

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rob,

Stu

If I'd stopped to think about what I was writing, I'd have realised that the original Osney Town FY was to the left of the scenic section, so you'd have obviously kept that for the Mk 2 layout.  (Note to self - must try harder to seem normal...)

If I'd stopped to think about what I was writing, I'd have realised that the original Osney Town FY was to the left of the scenic section, so you'd have obviously kept that for the Mk 2 layout.  (Note to self - must try harder to seem normal...)

Hi Stu

Yes you are right, the original FY for Osney Town is still in use, although three inches shorter to get the whole thing into my room, and a new FY has been made for the other end. Are you going to Doncaster?

Great. I read on your own thread that you were hoping to use trees as a view blocker. Maybe you can make some decent sized trees as opposed to my large bushes. I look forward to seeing the results.

My local DIY shop didn't have any artex of any kind so I'll take a trip to a big chain over the weekend and pick up a small tub.  I made an armature last night which doesn't look too bad, it should give me about a 50ft tree once I've added the artex coating and put some foliage on it.  Got a busy few weeks coming up so don't hold your breath :)

My local DIY shop didn't have any artex of any kind so I'll take a trip to a big chain over the weekend and pick up a small tub.  I made an armature last night which doesn't look too bad, it should give me about a 50ft tree once I've added the artex coating and put some foliage on it.  Got a busy few weeks coming up so don't hold your breath :)

I got mine as a 2.5 kg bag from Homebase.

I got mine as a 2.5 kg bag from Homebase.

Ended up getting a couple of tubes of "Flexible gap Polyfilla" which seems to be doing not too bad a job.

Also discovered that if I put two bits of wire in my electric drill and hold them firmly with a pair of pliers, I can twist them together tightly and rapidly assemble sections which I can then easily twist together to make tree shapes.

Watch this space.

Hello there Rob. Love your layout- after looking at your thread I have been inspired to finally build my own. Really like the scenic work- very inspiring. Dougal

Hi Dougal. Thanks for the kind comments,glad to be able to inspire you.

Rob

Ended up getting a couple of tubes of "Flexible gap Polyfilla" which seems to be doing not too bad a job.

Also discovered that if I put two bits of wire in my electric drill and hold them firmly with a pair of pliers, I can twist them together tightly and rapidly assemble sections which I can then easily twist together to make tree shapes.

Watch this space.

A great idea. Might have saved me a very painful thumb!

Rob

I am now moving to the last major job on Osney which is to weather the loco stock. I have done the first and am beginning to get control of the air-brush rather than the other way round. By the time I do the last one, there are three, I might just know what I am doing!

Those of you who have followed this saga will not be expecting any lovely kit built locos and you wouldn't be wrong. The loco roster is now, after a little dealing in surlpus locos, entirely Lionheart with sound. The first can be seen bringing a light load down from the colliery.

post-15694-0-42069900-1361367442_thumb.jpg

post-15694-0-86186300-1361367513_thumb.jpg

post-15694-0-40282500-1361367530_thumb.jpg

And finally one posed in the platform.

post-15694-0-38228300-1361367547_thumb.jpg

Might need to do a little touching up round that buffer beam!

• Like 16

Cracking work! Very atmospheric, I can almost hear the flanges and smell the steam, I would love to be leaning over the fence watching procedings.

I did see some weathering done by George Dent on a OO Pannier and he used a mixture of airbrush and paintbrush weathering (I can recommend his work as demoed on MR DVD's), Tim Shackleton does some very nice work on his DVD's too.

I like using MIG Powders along with the other traditional methods....

Eventually I would like a 57xx or an 8750.....when all the diesels are up and running, that is. LOL.

Here is a little hyjack of some paint-brush applied weathering finsihed off with MIG powders - hope that you dont mind - MIG powders with Gunmetal can produce some very nice final effects, the Gunmetal can be buffed up using an old toothbrush or cotton-bud.

ATVB

CME

post-11256-0-12729800-1361386234.jpg

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 9

Cracking work! Very atmospheric, I can almost hear the flanges and smell the steam, I would love to be leaning over the fence watching procedings.

I did see some weathering done by George Dent on a OO Pannier and he used a mixture of airbrush and paintbrush weathering (I can recommend his work as demoed on MR DVD's), Tim Shackleton does some very nice work on his DVD's too.

I like using MIG Powders along with the other traditional methods....

Eventually I would like a 57xx or an 8750.....when all the diesels are up and running, that is. LOL.

Here is a little hyjack of some paint-brush applied weathering finsihed off with MIG powders - hope that you dont mind - MIG powders with Gunmetal can produce some very nice final effects, the Gunmetal can be buffed up using an old toothbrush or cotton-bud.

ATVB

CME

A great bit of weathering. I am a fan of weathering powders but tend to use them on items that will not be handled. I did try spraying with a so called matt varnish once but was left with a slight sheen over the whole model, so had to start again. I am wary of using them on a loco but would like to have a go.

I knew that you could buff up the metalcote but hadn't tried it, but you have persuaded me to give it a shot and I am quite pleased with the results so far.

Excellent weathering indeed.

I treated myself to a Lionheart 74XX with sound last year after selling off two thirds of my OO gauge stock. It's a stunning model. The forthcomming 45XX may be out of my price range :(

I saw the 45xx at Telford. They are one of my favourite locos but I am going to be very strong and resist all temptation. I keep telling myself that they are to big for my layouts and remind myself that impulse buying in the past as led to tears later. :no:

• Like 1