The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas

rcf

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

In one of my last posts I mentioned that I was looking forward to two exhibitions this year, Hayle in the far west and Barnstaple.

Sadly due to a change in circumstances I have had to withdraw Osney from both shows. I regret any inconvience I have caused to these clubs, particularly Hayle as it was very short notice, but I appreciate their understanding of my decision. I will also miss the opportunity to meet those of you who may have gone to either of the shows and who I have got to know through this thread. Hopefully I will get this opportunity in the future.

Regards Rob

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Its been a while since there was anything to report from Osney, mainly due to work having all but finished but also because other things keep getting in the way of modelling. The trouble is that I think I need help. Perhaps I should say at this point that I am quite happy with the way Osney has worked out but every time I see it I get these siren voices in my head and they won't go away. The gist of the messages is that.. 

-you should have built it the other way round

-it would have made a better picture if you had

-all you need to do is move the platform to the front of the layout and turn it round

-and move the track back to where the platform was,easy

-it would be more like Coombe Junction on the Liskeard/ Looe line rather than Abergwynfi, but why not

This is why I need help as the voices won't go away and to clarify, in case of doubt, I will quote a line from one of mine and swmbo's favourite american comedy series on tv at the moment, 'I'm not mad ,my mother had me tested'. :)  :)

Confused of Osney

As Osney is a run-through layout, and The Shed is a terminus layout, what's missing is the bit in between..., then you'd have a superb, 3-scene exhibition layout !

Stu, I think you are just trying to get Rob to produce 3 modules for next years' members day! ;)

EDIT: Cracking details by the way Rob :)

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 1

Its been a while since there was anything to report from Osney, mainly due to work having all but finished but also because other things keep getting in the way of modelling. The trouble is that I think I need help. Perhaps I should say at this point that I am quite happy with the way Osney has worked out but every time I see it I get these siren voices in my head and they won't go away. The gist of the messages is that.. 

-you should have built it the other way round

-it would have made a better picture if you had

-all you need to do is move the platform to the front of the layout and turn it round

-and move the track back to where the platform was,easy

-it would be more like Coombe Junction on the Liskeard/ Looe line rather than Abergwynfi, but why not

This is why I need help as the voices won't go away and to clarify, in case of doubt, I will quote a line from one of mine and swmbo's favourite american comedy series on tv at the moment, 'I'm not mad ,my mother had me tested'. :)  :)

Confused of Osney

Bazzzzzzinga!

Those voices are oft referred to as the 'inner-critic' (often voiced by a grim school teacher from ones past, or perhaps a boss, a parent/grand-parent or other), one simply has to tell them to 'stop' and then to 'sod-off' and do such every time they crop-up in ones mind (either say these phrases in one's mind or out aloud, until they have gone, it may take a minute or a week or two, you will defeat them - just dont get into circling arguments with yourself/the inner critic), simple 'stops' and 'sod offs' will suffice. They're ligitimate techniques for dealing with such things as the 'inner critic' - we all have it. The conscious mind has 7 thoughts per second (actually a lot less at 2.5-2.8 per second) and the subconscious mind has up to 2 million thoughts per second (where the inner critic comes from - ie the reptilian brain), the subconscious also regulates the body/functions (automatically) therefore we are often not aware of these subconscious thoughts (ie the inner critic can be very subtle at first).

Your layout is nigh on perfect, yet when you choose to build another you will take with you the experiences of building Osney and thus continuous improvement, no modeller is ever truly happy with his/her efforts all of the time, yet enjoy your layout for what it is, becasue it is wonderful. Some enjoy the journey of building a layout more than it's completion though..

Keep up the great works.

Kind regards,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Bazzzzzzinga!

Those voices are oft referred to as the 'inner-critic' (often voiced by a grim school teacher from ones past, or perhaps a boss, a parent/grand-parent or other), one simply has to tell them to 'stop' and then to 'sod-off' and do such every time they crop-up in ones mind (either say these phrases in one's mind or out aloud, until they have gone, it may take a minute or a week or two, you will defeat them - just dont get into circling arguments with yourself/the inner critic), simple 'stops' and 'sod offs' will suffice. They're ligitimate techniques for dealing with such things as the 'inner critic' - we all have it. The conscious mind has 7 thoughts per second (actually a lot less at 2.5-2.8 per second) and the subconscious mind has up to 2 million thoughts per second (where the inner critic comes from - ie the reptilian brain), the subconscious also regulates the body/functions (automatically) therefore we are often not aware of these subconscious thoughts (ie the inner critic can be very subtle at first).

Your layout is nigh on perfect, yet when you choose to build another you will take with you the experiences of building Osney and thus continuous improvement, no modeller is ever truly happy with his/her efforts all of the time, yet enjoy your layout for what it is, becasue it is wonderful. Some enjoy the journey of building a layout more than it's completion though..

Keep up the great works.

Kind regards,

CME

Hi CME

Do I detect a fellow follower of The Big Bang?  Thanks for the explanation of my voices, now I know what to do with them! You could be right that I do enjoy the process rather than the completion, although if I get it right then I enjoy the completion better and for longer.

I am not really a club person and prefer to model quietly at home, but this has the disadvantage of not having anyone to discuss ideas with when they emerge, which is why I find this forum so enjoyable as it gives me a chance to bounce ideas of everyone, and to watch how others resolve problems. So thanks to all who have been reading this and for those who have contributed their views.

For the moment the voices are under control, but they are definitely not saying build another layout, they know how little space I have left, and I certainly don't want to get rid of anything to make room for another despite Stubby47's suggestion!

Just to prove everything is intact some recent pictures.

The first is taken from the footbridge and suggests that a modest re-build would at least get that lamp post straight!

post-15694-0-11487500-1370961374_thumb.jpg

post-15694-0-09109200-1370961399_thumb.jpg

post-15694-0-24242800-1370961414_thumb.jpg

post-15694-0-09324300-1370961427_thumb.jpg

Thanks again for your interest.

Rob

Edited by rcf
  • Like 9

Hi CME

Do I detect a fellow follower of The Big Bang? ........

Thanks again for your interest.

Rob

Another nice set of photos Rob,

Re your comment on the big bang....

I think you are among other "Sheldons" here ;)

Cracking stuff, as usual

Marc

• Like 1

I think you are among other "Sheldons" here ;)

Cracking stuff, as usual

Marc

I'm not sure whether that is a good thing, I would prefer to be with Penny :)

• Funny 1

Chance would be a fine thing Rob ;)

I'm not sure I could even climb all those flights of stairs to get to her apartment!

Sadly I think I am a good bit older than you, so without that lift there is no hope for me. :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I think those voices have it wrong if the platform was at the from with the track behind, it would hind the wheels and motion of the stock so wouldn't be so interesting. Or have I misunderstood what you were suggesting.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Don, the original ( and excellent) Osney Town was built in that configurartion, so Rob is only hearing echos of his previous layout.

I think the transformation between the two has been incredible, and this one should be left as it is.

I think those voices have it wrong if the platform was at the from with the track behind, it would hind the wheels and motion of the stock so wouldn't be so interesting. Or have I misunderstood what you were suggesting.

Don

Hi Don

You are right about the arrangement I was thinking about and as Stubby47 points out, the original Osney Town was like that. Its probably a personal thing but I quite like seeing the train come in behind the platform which is why I have had doubts about the way I have built Osney for a while. No one has actually come out and said ,what a great idea it would be to change things, so will keep things as they are, or until the voices get the upper hand at some time in the future, or I suddenly have the space and energy to start the next layout!

Rob

• Like 1

Hi,

The original Osney had an air of something different about it,
being that it was modelled from the station approach
If you model it that way, I think it's harder to do it well
But I think Rob definitely did that

I really liked the original Osney

but I must say, I like the new incarnation just as much
Please keep it the way it is, for posterity!

Any new ideas should emerge as a new layout Rob :)
The voices in my head keep telling me to build new layouts...
They come up with designs, ideas & schemes all the time
Should I ignore them? lol

Cheers

Marc

• Like 1

I have been giving some further thought to Don's comment about the alignment of the track in relation to the platform and why I like to see the train behind the platform, so thought I would do a follow up post.

I think the reason this approach appeals to me is because this stems from my modelling philosophy which is to create a picture or stage set, as I have seen it referred to on another thread, where no one item stands out. I have never been a fan of covering baseboards with track and look for a way of placing the railway into a landscape,whether urban or rural, and this gets more difficult to do with a small layout. One way of helping to create the illusion of a real railway scene is to keep train lengths short and use small locos but especially in 0 gauge the size of the rolling stock in relation to the baseboard size appears greater on small layouts. Building the station the other way round from the usual approach helps to reduce the visual impact of the rolling stock by hiding the wheels and motion and so adds to the overall illusion of the stage set. I hope that makes sense.

On that basis the new Osney :laugh: would possibly provide not only the sight of  a train coming in behind the platform but would open up the mineral line to better view, something that is lacking now, so giving the best of both worlds.   Bazinga!  ( fans out there will know what I mean).

Regards Rob

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Rob,

So is what you're thinking of this :

post-7025-0-66049700-1371121896.png

A third version, with the station as it was originally but now with a mineral line running across the front ?

Stu

Edited by Stubby47

Rob,

So is what you're thinking of this :

attachicon.gifosney.png

A third version, with the station as it was originally but now with a mineral line running across the front?

Stu

No no Stu, think Coombe Junction. Both lines together behind the station platform.  The existing mineral line would remain where it is and the line into the platform would be moved next to it. Simples. The rear of the platform would face the viewer.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Ah...... Got you.

Though I think it would be a shame that the photo oppprtunities for track level shots looking up at the rolling stock would be lost.

Would both lines be through lines (not knowing anything about Coombe Junction)?

Edited by Stubby47