The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas

rcf

Ah...... Got you.

Though I think it would be a shame that the photo oppprtunities for track level shots looking up at the rolling stock would be lost.

Would both lines be through lines (not knowing anything about Coombe Junction)?

Sorry Stu, I thought you would know Coombe on the Liskeard/Looe line. The station is a terminus where the train reverses, or used to, and has a through mineral line adjacent. So from the point of view of the layout, the movement would be exactly the same as Osney.

Rob

[Though I think it would be a shame that the photo oppprtunities for track level shots looking up at the rolling stock would be lost.]

I missed this comment when replying to your post Stu, but it is a good point as this is already an issue with Osney.  It is very difficult to get interesting shots of trains on the mineral line because of the platform blocking the view. I can only really photgraph from above which limits the options. Something else to think about when planning a new layout!

Rob

• RMweb Premium

[Though I think it would be a shame that the photo oppprtunities for track level shots looking up at the rolling stock would be lost.]

I missed this comment when replying to your post Stu, but it is a good point as this is already an issue with Osney.  It is very difficult to get interesting shots of trains on the mineral line because of the platform blocking the view. I can only really photgraph from above which limits the options. Something else to think about when planning a new layout!

Rob

Unless you can think up an excuse (offstage pointwork?  Headshunt?) for having to shunt wagons in the platform road occasionally?

Hope you resolve things,

Dave.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone

Followers of this thread may recall that I began with a brief overview of my layouts including Bude Quay. This was my winning entry in the Guild's 2007 Diorama competition. I have finally decided that reason should come before sentiment and have decided to dispose of it to a 'good home'! I am offering it free to anyone who can collect. I appreciate that this could be difficult as I live in Cornwall but as I can't travel far at the moment that is the only solution I can think of at the moment.I have cleared this with Andy Y and have also included it in the classified, although not strictly for sale. If anyone is interested or wants details please PM me. Some photos as a reminder.

Rob

post-15694-0-14114000-1371896871_thumb.jpg

post-15694-0-93336100-1371896886_thumb.jpg

post-15694-0-39712100-1371896912_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Hi Everyone

Followers of this thread may recall that I began with a brief overview of my layouts including Bude Quay. This was my winning entry in the Guild's 2007 Diorama competition. I have finally decided that reason should come before sentiment and have decided to dispose of it to a 'good home'! I am offering it free to anyone who can collect. I appreciate that this could be difficult as I live in Cornwall but as I can't travel far at the moment that is the only solution I can think of at the moment.I have cleared this with Andy Y and have also included it in the classified, although not strictly for sale. If anyone is interested or wants details please PM me. Some photos as a reminder.

Rob

attachicon.gifBude Quay 003.jpg

attachicon.gifBude Quay 005.jpg

attachicon.gifBude Quay 013.jpg

Hi Rob,

Truely a wonderful diorama and I am sure that someone will jump at the chance to own this wonderful model.

Kind regards,

CME

Hi Everyone

Just to let you know It looks as though I have a future home for Bude Quay so there is no need for anyone to risk the wrath of the domestic authorites by offering to take it off my hands ;)

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Same here!!!

Also here!

However, we have some space at the railway club room ....

Hi Everyone

Just to let you know It looks as though I have a future home for Bude Quay so there is no need for anyone to risk the wrath of the domestic authorites by offering to take it off my hands ;)

Rob.

At least you have found a new home for Bude Quay Rob.

As mentioned above my boss said I already had too many layouts ....

• RMweb Gold

How many is too many ? :dontknow:

Well, last count

5 finished (all small, the largest being Orchard Road) - a mixture off 00, 7mm narrow gauge and Gn15

plus a new layout to start soon

plus a 7mm narrow gauge layout which is at scenic stage

plus two small layouts that my son has started

and finally Burrington Arms, which has not progressed much further than track laying!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

When I did a brief introduction to this thread I mentioned Kestle Mill which I built prior to Bude Quay. This was basically an 'inglenook siding' layout with an overall scenic portion of 5ft 4in x 14in. At the time I was very pleased with it scenically but not its operation which put me off pure shunting layouts for a long time, well for ever really!

The reason I bring this up now is that I was having a clear out of stuff recently and came across some photos of KM which I had completely forgotten I had. Not only did they remind me that I was very happy with the scenic side but also reinforced some peoples view that I may have a destructive nature as the layout was binned not long after to make way for Osney Town, which as we all know was then broken up to build Osney.

I thought that they were worth a wider audience. The quality is not great as I have had to scan them in but hope you enjoy them.

1739107528_KestleMill002.jpg.e71c78566909b32f68a9dd9cbc3301be.jpg1660174155_KestleMill003.jpg.d2999af5f7fa317cfe96204d47dfd893.jpg1941681759_KestleMill004.jpg.02ecbc8b777bb80304549cdb71e6aff1.jpg1019704538_KestleMill005.jpg.ea643977449725aa191bbc0dda7e7e3a.jpg2000841933_KestleMill006.jpg.ccfbdb6f4f806bb161829b9ffd7a4a18.jpg1928045603_KestleMill007.jpg.85b039ec92ae5ec945107a5fd4043a5a.jpg1293996519_KestleMill009.jpg.83f3e52c09b350ca5c5431b23f5611b7.jpg

Rob

Edited by rcf
Add photos
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

That's stunning. If you still had it I would have had that off you in a flash!

Ditto, and I can think of a few of my O-Gauge friends who would have done the same.

Thats lovely,

Dave.

• Like 1

That's really weird, Kestle Mill is very similar to an idea I have been sketching about with for a small inglenook type layout. My main layout Factory Lane Sidings is more or less complete and I have a couple of exhibition and magazine commitment before I decide what to do next. So a small inglenook is on my list as a stop gap.

That's really weird, Kestle Mill is very similar to an idea I have been sketching about with for a small inglenook type layout. My main layout Factory Lane Sidings is more or less complete and I have a couple of exhibition and magazine commitment before I decide what to do next. So a small inglenook is on my list as a stop gap.

The idea for KM came from the china clay branches down here which often had a public wharf next to the clay dries siding. As this has been done quite often I substituted an agricultural merchants warehouse for the clay dry. The public wharf doesn't appear in the photos but was the third siding.

I think I was following my usual thing of trying to create a pretty picture and forgot the operational side. So don't make the mistakes I did, for instance the canopies over the loading bays look good but make using 3-link couplings a nightmare and impossible from the rear if exhibiting!

With its limited size, 8ft overall, it didn't take that long to build and to anyone who enjoys shunting I can thoroughly recommend something similar.

Rob

The idea for KM came from the china clay branches down here which often had a public wharf next to the clay dries siding. As this has been done quite often I substituted an agricultural merchants warehouse for the clay dry. The public wharf doesn't appear in the photos but was the third siding.

I think I was following my usual thing of trying to create a pretty picture and forgot the operational side. So don't make the mistakes I did, for instance the canopies over the loading bays look good but make using 3-link couplings a nightmare and impossible from the rear if exhibiting!

With its limited size, 8ft overall, it didn't take that long to build and to anyone who enjoys shunting I can thoroughly recommend something similar.

Rob

Yes, I do enjoy shunting and use the Lincs autocoupling system which works well most of the time. I also fancy a more rural scene as opposed to my urban layout at the moment.

Alan.

Hi Alan

I did consider using automatic couplings when I realised my mistake, including the Lincs coupling, but decided my limited technical skills would probably result in too much stress in trying to get them to work properly. Events such as building Bude Quay then took over. Now there would be a great deal of help available through forums such as this, so I might have had a go if it was happening now.

Rob

Hi Alan

I did consider using automatic couplings when I realised my mistake, including the Lincs coupling, but decided my limited technical skills would probably result in too much stress in trying to get them to work properly. Events such as building Bude Quay then took over. Now there would be a great deal of help available through forums such as this, so I might have had a go if it was happening now.

Rob

Hi Rob,

I'm sure you would have had no problem with the Lincs. The ease of construction and "near enough" accuracy was what attracted me to them in the first place. There is still debate when these will be back on the market but I fortunately stocked up so have plenty to keep me going with.

Alan.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

Rob

attachicon.gifBude Quay 003.jpg

attachicon.gifBude Quay 005.jpg

attachicon.gifBude Quay 013.jpg

Hi Rob,

It was wonderful meeting you both and seeing your layouts on Monday. They are really a work of art.

As promised, I will take good care of Bude Quay. 

Kind regards,

Chris

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1