The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas

rcf

I saw the 45xx at Telford. They are one of my favourite locos but I am going to be very strong and resist all temptation. I keep telling myself that they are to big for my layouts and remind myself that impulse buying in the past as led to tears later. :no:

It looked good, didn't it? A 45XX would be one heck of an impulse purchase, better leave the credit card at home!

• Like 2

A great bit of weathering. I am a fan of weathering powders but tend to use them on items that will not be handled. I did try spraying with a so called matt varnish once but was left with a slight sheen over the whole model, so had to start again. I am wary of using them on a loco but would like to have a go.

I knew that you could buff up the metalcote but hadn't tried it, but you have persuaded me to give it a shot and I am quite pleased with the results so far.

I saw the 45xx at Telford. They are one of my favourite locos but I am going to be very strong and resist all temptation. I keep telling myself that they are to big for my layouts and remind myself that impulse buying in the past as led to tears later. :no:

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words.

The best product for 'sealing' MIG powders is Testors Dullcote (I am experimenting with a Military modelling product), yet Dullcote is the only thing that works and maintains the effect of the powder, light coats maintain it (a wisp of a pass with the can) heavier coats can add some nice effects (only do so if feeling brave though! LOL!!). Dont use 'sealers' and 'cheap-hairspray' it ruins the effect (dont ask me how I know! LOL!!).

Some have thought that my minerals have been airbrushed - yet they havnt just good quality hand/paintbrushes, enamels and/or acrylics with the MIG powders (also mixed to makes washes and pastes - although beware as this can alter the colours/tones of the powders).

I have one of the budget IWATA's yet prime most models with rattle-cans and then only use an airbrush when really required.

I love the 4575's too, yet, as wonderful as it looks - superb quality - I am afraid that the Lionheart version maybe too pricey for me.

I had hoped to post a photo of  my 24.5T, Mineral purchased second-hand - fettled as far a practicably possible - then painted and weathered by yours truly...., yet just realised that it is on a.nother HDD, so here is another - purchased as an unbuilt kit - second-hand model, a PECO Iron ORE Tippler, also hand-painted, wont hijack again, I promise....

Kind regards,

CME

post-11256-0-01973800-1361492063_thumb.jpg

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 10

Hi

Thanks for the advice about the powders and for sharing the photo of the iron ore wagon. Some great weathering there, shouldn't it be condemned! Don't worry about hijacking, these threads are all about sharing information.

Rob

• Like 3

Hi Rob,

That's very kind - that's kinda how I feel about Threads.

'Cond' eh? Yes I often feel that many of my wagons should be - they havent done many miles in reality - when one looks at the weathering the trouble is, if I mark 'em as 'Cond' then the only have one more journey left and then  I cant use them again!! LOL!!

This is the last one (photo) - on another PC tonight you see - the second-hand 24.5T Mineral, using all of the weathering techniques.

Kindest regards,

CME

post-11256-0-41887300-1361568271_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Hi CME and everyone,

That's very nice, you must have great deal of patience to build up the various layers. Makes me want to have another look at some of my wagons, although in the period I am modelling many of the mineral wagons would have been quite new. Thats my excuse anyway!

Moving on, I have now done two of the three locos, and before anyone comments, yes, I know the buffer beam needs attention. Its all down to the angle I am using the airbrush. I have had these two panniers for a while and they both featured on my earlier layouts. I had done some light weathering on them with a brush but had never really been happy with them but now I think they look quite good and blend in with the overall feeling of Osney. I was lucky to be able to get the third loco before Christmas and you can see it in all its out of the box glory. I was anxious to have a third loco as a backup at shows rather than have the bare minimum to operate the layout. A reasoned purchase rather than an impulse buy!

As has been mentioned earlier the couple in the shelter have seen a few strange sights in their time but continue to be unmoved by any of it.

Regards Rob

post-15694-0-58601500-1361621718_thumb.jpg

post-15694-0-33487800-1361621741_thumb.jpg

post-15694-0-17171200-1361621755_thumb.jpg

post-15694-0-09252700-1361621771_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Hi CME and everyone,

That's very nice, you must have great deal of patience to build up the various layers. Makes me want to have another look at some of my wagons, although in the period I am modelling many of the mineral wagons would have been quite new. Thats my excuse anyway!

Moving on, I have now done two of the three locos, and before anyone comments, yes, I know the buffer beam needs attention. Its all down to the angle I am using the airbrush. I have had these two panniers for a while and they both featured on my earlier layouts. I had done some light weathering on them with a brush but had never really been happy with them but now I think they look quite good and blend in with the overall feeling of Osney. I was lucky to be able to get the third loco before Christmas and you can see it in all its out of the box glory. I was anxious to have a third loco as a backup at shows rather than have the bare minimum to operate the layout. A reasoned purchase rather than an impulse buy!

As has been mentioned earlier the couple in the shelter have seen a few strange sights in their time but continue to be unmoved by any of it.

Regards Rob

attachicon.gifosney 092.jpg

attachicon.gifosney 093.jpg

attachicon.gifosney 094.jpg

attachicon.gifosney 095.jpg

Hi Rob, hi everyone!

Cracking work - those Panniers look so much better for weathering, what a superb fleet!

Yes it does take time to weather 'minerals' to that level (people when they have asked me are surprised just how long :-)!! ), I dont do every vehicle to those levels though as some of the newer minerals are lightly weathered so as to provide some 'contrast'. You are not far wrong with your minerals, as your RCH types would be the the one's with new 'planks' and heavy-weathering - but as we have said before, it's your railway, and as far as I am concerned, without wishing to sound sychophantic, it looks superb anyway!

Looking forward to more photos.

ATVB

CME

A couple of pictures of the latest activity at Osney. The autotrain departs the station while a coal train waits patiently for the right of way. 6421 has aquired a few miles since last seen and now has a certain care worn look. Its also aquired some coal in the bunker and some crew.

942570446_osney096.thumb.jpg.6202898a3b1eba3f44d1b0cd120e063f.jpg1610514701_osney098.thumb.jpg.b8464235c786d0d8edbfb049522f9097.jpg

As I come to the end of the construction period I am realising the down side of building small layouts. I have always extolled their virtues, including the fact that you can plan and build within a set time scale and have something to show for the work. However the converse is that as you near the end you start to consider the next option, and as you will be aware those options are limited by lack of space. I have one or two thoughts but these need to germinate abit. There are though still little jobs to do on Osney and I have two exhibitions to look forward to later in the year.

Cheers for now Rob

Edited by rcf
Add photos
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I keep thinking to myself that if I had space for a roundy roundy, I would still like something to take to exhibitions. So if down one side I had a bit of track in open country and down the other had somewhere a small layout could fit in with suitable connecting tracks I could have the best of both worlds and possibly a couple of small layouts which could be interchanged.  You could have a long freight trundling through Osney. That would wake up the passengers on the platform!

Don

Why not build "modular" style?  Then, as long as the track and scenery matches at the ends, theoreticlaly you can just keep building little layouts like this to the same size and spec  and either have them up one at a time at home, or if you have the opportunity to attend a show or use the garage/garden/living room/whatever, then you can have a larger layout, put in some corner pieces and you can have that roundy roundy with the long freights trundling through.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Have you been invited to the Captain's party in Taunton next month ?

This really deserves to be seen by more of it's adoring fans !

You always come and visit Osney at the Barnstaple show 27th July!

• Like 2

Have you been invited to the Captain's party in Taunton next month ?

This really deserves to be seen by more of it's adoring fans !

No I haven't Stu but if I were to be I would be reluctant to take on any other committments at the moment for reasons that you may appreciate. Perhaps another time. However I am hoping to make a flying visit to Taunton to put a few faces to the names I have got to know on this thread.

Rob

• Like 1

Why not build "modular" style?  Then, as long as the track and scenery matches at the ends, theoreticlaly you can just keep building little layouts like this to the same size and spec  and either have them up one at a time at home, or if you have the opportunity to attend a show or use the garage/garden/living room/whatever, then you can have a larger layout, put in some corner pieces and you can have that roundy roundy with the long freights trundling through.

My thoughts exactly....

Although, for me, I seem to choose such different schemes each time,

linking them together wouldn't be easy....

As you say though, In theory, it's a nice approach....

and you get a working layout relatively quickly

but eventually, you could end up with one large model

Also, at different shows, you could possibly re-arrange the modules,

for a change of overall formation :)

It's a small layout Rob,

but there is much detail and atmosphere, and plenty to entertain....

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 3

My thoughts exactly....

Although, for me, I seem to choose such different schemes each time,

linking them together wouldn't be easy....

As you say though, In theory, it's a nice approach....

and you get a working layout relatively quickly

but eventually, you could end up with one large model

Also, at different shows, you could possibly re-arrange the modules,

for a change of overall formation :)

It's a small layout Rob,

but there is much detail and atmosphere, and plenty to entertain....

+ 1

CME

Hi Everyone,

All this talk of modules has quite set the little grey cells racing around. What I think we are all missing is that my 'railway room', which I know I am lucky to have, is only a little under 10 feet by 12 feet and already houses three layouts and everything else which is essential to modelling. So this talk of 'roundy-roundy' layouts is just confusing to the little grey cells, which sadly get fewer and fewer by the years. And yet, this talk of modules has an interesting ring to it. :)

Of course the obvious one, to me anyway, would be to model the point where the Osney branch meets the junction station. I am thinking an end on connection, similar to Churston station in Devon where the Brixham branch terminates. The bay platform there was very short and entered the station from under a bridge, so a natural view blocker. The bay could be modelled in isolation with just a hint of the rest of the station. It wouldn't even need to be very long as it only has to accomodate the autotrain. It could either operate independantly from Osney or be connected by the fiddle yard. However this is all pie in the sky as I DON'T have any space. And yet...

One of the great pleasures of this hobby, for me anyway,is the planning and research and these suggestions about modules will probably hold me for a while or until the urge to build something gets too strong. In the meantime The Shed might require a small upgrade, but that might be the subject of a separate thread. Just to reassure fans of The Shed, nothing too drastic is planned, an improvement hopefully. With that I will leave my ramblings and do something useful with Osney.

Regards Rob

• Like 4

Hi Everyone,

All this talk of modules has quite set the little grey cells racing around...........

Regards Rob

Hi again Rob,

That's good news, and is exactly what rmweb is for...... :)

Modular layouts are something that I've pondered much, the past few years

I'm sure you could build another micro, which you could easily connect to the layout as it is

You don't neccessarily need space to connect all the modules together at home -

you can save that for exhibitions, and the occasional sunny day in the garden :0 

It's coming up with a scheme which also works well as standalone and hold your interest while building it....

It's not quite as easy as you might first think

I've often pondered building a fiddle which could be placed between 2 layout modules,

but that wouldn't work for you in this instance

Let us know what you're doing with "The Shed" - sounds interesting

but please, don't tear it up!!!

Cheers again

Marc

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again Rob,

That's good news, and is exactly what rmweb is for...... :)

Modular layouts are something that I've pondered much, the past few years

I'm sure you could build another micro, which you could easily connect to the layout as it is

You don't neccessarily need space to connect all the modules together at home -

you can save that for exhibitions, and the occasional sunny day in the garden :0 

It's coming up with a scheme which also works well as standalone and hold your interest while building it....

It's not quite as easy as you might first think

I've often pondered building a fiddle which could be placed between 2 layout modules,

but that wouldn't work for you in this instance

Let us know what you're doing with "The Shed" - sounds interesting

but please, don't tear it up!!!

Cheers again

Marc

Not a lot happening at Osney at the moment except some minor work, like making the inside of the empty mineral wagons look as though they do sometimes contain coal. But I have started work on The Shed and in case anyone wants to see what is happening I have started a new layout topic called 'The Shed- alterations to an 0 gauge micro'.

Rob

Not a lot happening at Osney at the moment except some minor work, like making the inside of the empty mineral wagons look as though they do sometimes contain coal. But I have started work on The Shed and in case anyone wants to see what is happening I have started a new layout topic called 'The Shed- alterations to an 0 gauge micro'.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Can you provide a link, tried a search and couldnt find it.

Kind regards,

CME