The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas

rcf

Hi 141 C 78

Many thanks for the kind words regarding my layouts. I think that The Shed is still my favourite of the layouts even though it is the smallest. I guess I like modelling grot and urban decay and the challenge of seeing what you can get into a small area. As has been said before, you don't need a lot of stock for this type of layout. Hope you enjoy moving into 0 gauge and hopefully you will post your efforts on here in due course.

Regards Rob

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone

Just thought I would let you know that Osney will be appearing at the Barnstaple MRC Exhibition on the 26th July and at the Hayle MRC Exhibition on the 23rd and 24th of August. These were the two shows I pulled out of last year so it will be good to see old friends and meet some new ones. Please say hello if you are attending either show.

Rob

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi Ray

Yes, everything is packed up and ready to go, just hope it will all go in the new car, as its the first time Osney has been out on its travels. Looking forward to the show and also to Saturday evening!  See you on Friday evening hopefully.

Regards Rob

Rob,

A most inspirational thread. I have just gone through it in spare moments at work.

It has certainly got the grey matter working overtime. Enjoy the show this weekend and here's to more Micro's

Paul 4475

Hi Everyone

Now that a few hours have elapsed since returning from Barnstaple and I have recovered, I just wanted to say what a great time I had at the show and how good it was to meet so many of you, including all the other exhibitors. As I was on my own I didn't get the opportunity to get to many names as I was operating Osney for the first time at a show and running from one fiddle yard to the other!. Mostly everything behaved as planned although the day confirmed my dislike of three link couplings in a poorly lit fiddle yard. As a result I didn't get any photos so if anyone has photos please feel free to post them on this thread.

It has been mentioned on the exhibition forum but I can only repeat what a great show it was and how much I appreciated the efforts made by Richard, Ray their wives and the other club members who descended on me when I arrived and helped me unload the car without being asked. A most enjoyable day and evening and I only hope I get an opportunity to return at some time.

The next trip out for Osney is at the Hayle show on the August Bank Holiday

Regards Rob

• Like 1

Hi Rob

Glade you enjoyed the show and had a good time on saturday evening. I will see you at Hayle in August as I am bring Yard Shunter I will be staying at a campsite in St buryan near the inlaws.

Edited by RAY NORWOOD

• 3 months later...

It's been a while since I have had anything to report on Osney, just a couple of exhibitions to report on but very little modelling. The last year has been a difficult one with many ups and downs but it looks like it will end on an up note and an increasing desire to model something. It is nearly two years since I finished Osney and it has given me time to evaluate the layout and assess its appearance at the shows. Although I was happy with the end result and it received a lot of positive comments, for me it lacks just something, the 'picture' doesn't quite work. Those of you who have followed these ramblings since I first posted may recall that I had a couple of wobbles when building Osney and I wondered  whether or not I had made the right decision, but I convinced myself everything was fine.  Although I haven't done much modelling since then I have continued to follow the progress of other threads where the authors often rip up their efforts because it hasn't matched their expectations and I watch with interest as they re-build around the same theme until they get it right. They have given me much food for thought and you may have guessed by now where this is going!

I have always regretted taking Osney Town apart and I have a strong urge to re-visit that subject but do it better if at all possible. While you may think the best solution would be to dispose of Osney, the baseboards our an idle size to move on my own and also fit comfortably in the car, so I am reluctant to get rid of them plus there are various bits of Osney that I would like to keep, actually quite a lot, so the answer to me is a partial demolition and re-build job. I have done this before and enjoy the challenge of blending the old with the new. I am still at the planning stage, working out what to re-use and what to replace but hope to have something more positive to report soon, hence the new working title.

Regards Rob

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments and likes, it feels good to be back doing some modelling or thinking about it. Progress might be a little slower than in the past due to other things happening but I am excited at the thought of getting going. I'll look forward to your e-mail Richard, presumably we are talking about The Shed not the new Osney Town!!

Regards Rob

• Like 1

One of the first things I need to decide is whether or not to use the station building from the original Osney Town. I removed it without causing to much damage and it has been stored ever since, I must have known I might need it later! It still looks quite good and could be used again with a little attention to detail. It has lost its chimneys and some signs, for instance, but I wonder whether it would be best to start afresh. When in position the platform elevation is difficult to see and I was once asked at a show if the front was modelled and I asked the  guy to view it from the operators side but even then it was difficult to see the elevation, so perhaps I shouldn't worry to much. I have attached two photos for information together with a photo showing my preferred method of construction, using strip wood for the framework and fine ply for the cladding, something I haven't shown before. Its a little crude but it is strong and it can withstand major trauma!!

Regards Rob

ot1.jpg.8b54a144efea70a94bb3ec99b49bc2d9.jpgot2.jpg.19db5d3da42f6c811baab20d20654fbc.jpgot3.jpg.e791b6c42b395de4986914f66305a458.jpg

Edited by rcf
Add photos
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

It is a nice building only you know whether you could do better and if the effort would be worth it. Personally I would use it to start with unless it is the wrong/size/shape in which case put it away and start again.

Don

Thanks Stu and Don for the comments. I think you are right, the basic structure is fine and just needs a little tlc and the footprint required for OT2 will be the same as before. I've just got back from  the local diy place with some strip wood for the new buildings and just need to order some thin ply sheets for the cladding. Exciting times!

Rob

• Like 1

One of the first things I need to decide is whether or not to use the station building from the original Osney Town. I removed it without causing to much damage and it has been stored ever since, I must have known I might need it later! It still looks quite good and could be used again with a little attention to detail. It has lost its chimneys and some signs, for instance, but I wonder whether it would be best to start afresh. When in position the platform elevation is difficult to see and I was once asked at a show if the front was modelled and I asked the  guy to view it from the operators side but even then it was difficult to see the elevation, so perhaps I shouldn't worry to much. I have attached two photos for information together with a photo showing my preferred method of construction, using strip wood for the framework and fine ply for the cladding, something I haven't shown before. Its a little crude but it is strong and it can withstand major trauma!!

Regards Rob

Hi Rob,

Looks like a very nice building indeed and has a lovely air of Highworth about it, I hope to add a similar building to Down Ampney in due course - from my POV although a wonderful model I have the feeling that you wont be happy with it, from what you say, in the longer term?

Kind regards,

CME

It is a nice building only you know whether you could do better and if the effort would be worth it. Personally I would use it to start with unless it is the wrong/size/shape in which case put it away and start again.

Don

That's a really good idea/plan Don.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Hi CME,

Glad you like the building, it was actually based on Highworth. I shall work on it a little in due course and see how it looks. I'm still deciding which bits to keep of the layout and which bits can go, but I usually try and salvage as much as possible as you never know when it will come in handy.

Regards Rob

With the closure of the last coal mine at Osney it was inevitable that the closure of the branch line serving the village would quickly follow and it was not long before the notice of closure was published. What was surprising was the speed with which the demolition team moved in and wiped most elements of the station area away, leaving the track in situ at the present. A recent visit enabled two poor quality pictures to be taken.

So much for the fiction but now back to reality. I am hoping that most of the track will remain in situ but the platform siding will be reduced in length to form a back siding behind the new platform. The premises of 'Lucy' has been retained and will undergo a make over of sorts, as has the footbridge. There is still plenty of clearance work to do, so new work will be a little sparse on the ground for a while. Salvage is the name of the game at the moment.

Thanks to everyone for the notifications and the continued interest.

Regards Rob

002.JPG.b6e37d14e04063569ee75472f51219b5.JPG001.JPG.5b7051fefa864c85d78fdc71d424eded.JPG

Edited by rcf
Add photos
  • Like 2

Hi All,

Well, I'm still clearing the ground as I seem to have built Osney better than I thought and it is taking a little longer to get rid of the bits I don't want without damaging the bits I do want. However I have made a few mock ups from the old cereal packets of new buildings for the back scene. I may be able to re-use a couple of the originals. The new buildings will be flat roofed and will probably include the use of some stonework and I want to use more of my own windows this time round rather than use ready made. The photos attached illustrate the general idea and also show the station building in what will be its new position in the future. One thing I am going to have to do fairly quickly is repaint the sky as it is showing some signs of wear after its various incarnations.

Regards Rob

429837057_003(2).JPG.d7ac30a7dac811ab2b38500a7624117c.JPG1222308593_002(3).JPG.6aa0809e3d794db71b1b92b973c4620e.JPG

Edited by rcf
Add photos
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

I did say that progress on the 'new' OT might be slow but I didn't envisage it almost grinding to a halt. This has mainly been due to other things going on, all good I should hasten to say, but including two weeks away over the holiday season. I have managed to re-paint the backscene and have removed everything I don't want with the exception of a grassed embankment at the front of the board. This may have to come out eventually but depends on the station building when in place. I have also plugged the hole where the track exited to the fiddle yard as this is no longer needed and extended the old station forecourt across this area and the track has either been shortened or new sections cut and loosely put in place. So there has been some small progress but at this stage not really enough to photograph.

On a positive note I have just accepted an invitation to exhibit my other layout/diorama,The Shed, later in the year at Barnstaple, which means another enjoyable weekend in north Devon.

Regards Rob

• Like 5