Hornby castle arriving?

cahoon_danny

• RMweb Premium

I never noticed it though I only have one - Tintagel Castle. That had several other more visible problems with poorly fitted details.

Nor have I noticed that problem on the Star. Like the Castle the Star had other more visible problems with poorly fitted details along with 'design clever' features.

I bought the GW 'Wellington' model a couple of months back when they came out and it's been kept untouched in it's box since, but when taken out last week, the dome pretty much came off in my hands! I'm used to doing full rebuilds on all my stock anyway but if one was a collector you'd be pretty peeved haha!

You say 'perpetuates' - so has this been apparent on previous Hornby 'Castles'? If so, it could be that the tools are worn. I don't have a recent 'Castle ' to check. However, a similar parting line is evident on some of the green-liveried 'Halls' and yet there is no sign of it on the two Olton Halls that I have. That suggests that there is more than one set of tools and possibly more than one factory producing them. 

As far as I can ascertain, a fine seam was there on the pre-production 'video' (silver model, Hawksworth tender). The first release R2822 Earl Cairns (which I have just acquired, will photograph over bank holiday weekend) has a very limited line on one side of boiler. The next release of Ince Castle has a more pronounced seam, with other single chimney releases having a less visible mark. It appears worse on the double chimney examples up to Tintangle, which was visible. The most recent models from REF factory, from pictures and viewings in the flesh, have visible seams. I guess it is possible the tooling wear occurred early on (though this would imply very short lives of tools), though given that Sanda Kan were producing all the castles up to the most recent batches (Wellington, Penrice and Caerphilly), one can only assume it was the same set of tools. The fact that the first release was minimally impacted by this issue suggests it CAN be got right...

R2822

http://www.oliviastrains.com/wp-content/files_mf/13894559765053.JPG

R2850

http://www.oliviastrains.com/wp-content/files_mf/14147654167034.JPG

R2986

http://www.oliviastrains.com/wp-content/files_mf/1391078398R2986_7036.jpg

R3118

http://www.oliviastrains.com/wp-content/files_mf/14093942637023.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I am still waiting for mine [Caerphilly Castle] from a certain South Yorkshire supplier.

Apparently more stock expected in 20.5.15 - I do hope so, as I wouldn't want to find I have missed the boat by acting on any inaccurate info from said supplier (though I appreciate that they are themselves only passing on info from their supplier ie. the manufacturer).

Anyway - fingers crossed it gets from China to South Yorkshire and on to me in North Yorkshire pronto!

Well, I am still waiting for mine [Caerphilly Castle] from a certain South Yorkshire supplier.

I'm waiting for my pre-order as well.

I wonder if the only people who got these from the first batch ordered them directly from Hornby.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

I was told the Sheffield Supplier in question got a few with the majority to follow on 20.5.15.

We'll find out soon enough how accurate the date was! Toes crossed too now!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just been in Peter's Spares and he has had a further delivery of six Caerphilly Castles. I would assume other traders will have received similar.

Mike Wiltshire

I know opinions must be subjective on this but I'd be glad of a considered opinion on NRM Hornby 4073.Yours is one I respect.
  • Like 1

I know opinions must be subjective on this but I'd be glad of a considered opinion on NRM Hornby 4073.Yours is one I respect.

My views on Caerphilly Castle are based on examples seen in store, at the NRM and on a friend’s model that has been run in on my line. I have not bought one myself for reasons I will come to later.

Running wise it is outstanding. Quiet, smooth and as good as/better than I can achieve with kit builds. Paint finish is very good as is all the detail, again I could spend six months building and painting and not be able to match the factory finish.

Annoying for me, is that the great master plan need two further early batch Castles with 3,500 gallon tenders but this model is not going to help me without drastic surgery. Why?  4073 has been modelled in ‘preserved’ condition with silver lamp irons, handrails etc. Detail wise, the engine is as it was taken out of service in 1960 which means it has the later upgrade of a fire iron tunnel and speedometer. Ok the speedo is an easy removal.  I have removed the fire iron tunnel from a Beverston Castle but it is quite a job and involves a repaint. My learned friends with industry connections are of the opinion that the original 5011 tooling is no longer accessible, resulting in all the latest Hornby Castles being of the later tooling, but coincidentally, and with the inside cylinder chest being a plug-in, does enable the ‘preserved’ version of 4073 to still be produced by Hornby.

Again it looks superb for what it is supposed to be – a museum condition version of 4073. It runs straight from the box and pulls a nine coach kit built heavy train without any issues, with a tenth it starts to slip on some of my dodgy uneven areas.

Many of us 192/30’s were hoping the Hornby would have used a plug-in fire iron tunnel to enable any version to be produced but sadly, this is not the case. I have tender swopped 3,500 gallon tenders from Stars with 5011 Collett tenders for my good friends late 1920’s layout. Easy you might say but as the Stars and castle appear to be from different factories the polarity wiring is different and caused a dead short when first tried. An unsoldering and switching of wires soon sorted,

One reality check. 4073 appears to have sold well. In addition to my own visits, I have accompanied several school trips to York Museum and, in the shop, witnessed steady sales to what appeared to be the tourist market. Highlight of one day was seeing the staff having to find, wrap and administer VAT free, FOUR Caerphilly Castles for a US tourist possibly also a modeller. I see this as the true target market for this engine.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

There is one glaring error on the "face" of 4073: the upper lamp iron is on the smokebox door, not on the top, as it is on the real thing. As it's painted silver, you can't really miss it.

Putting 4073 and 4003 side by side (should be in identical livery), the orange lining is a very different shade on the two models. Both look good, though.

Edited by 4069

4073 has been modelled in ‘preserved’ condition with silver lamp irons, handrails etc. Detail wise, the engine is as it was taken out of service in 1960 which means it has the later upgrade of a fire iron tunnel and speedometer. 

Looking at close-up photos it also has windscreen wipers. I can confirm that the original has these as I noticed them when I was at the museum last week. It is the first time that I have noticed these on a steam loco (perhaps I am just not very observant) and presume these were not fitted as built? 

Edited by KGV

• RMweb Premium

Dammit, he's right! Though as built, looks like driver's side only, with wipers on the fireman's side being common by the BR era. Which makes it even more extraordinary that they got the top lamp iron wrong. Being painted silver, it's all too prominent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Mine arrived back from Hon

:danced:  :danced:  :danced: A Caerphilly Castle arrived by Hermes today a Birthday present from SWMBO it's a nice bit of kit the only downfall was the tender coupling kept falling out on a test run shame on you Hornby it's about time you sorted it  :nono: , I consigned it to the junk box and a Bachmann one put on in it's place.

Must do something with those shiny bits looks daft if it's to become a working engine.

I too came to the Caerphilly Castle party a bit late :-) Mine arrived back from Hornby this week.... photos about to be posted on the Henley page.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I was trying to understand why the paring of  E/C with double chimney. But of course,it's "as preserved " and currently running !! Looks very nice too.

An increasing potential problem Ian.  More & more locos seem to be appearing in what can fairly readily be identified as 'as preserved./currently running' condition and in some cases they would be difficult to alter to 'in service' condition.  many folk won't mind of course but some no doubt will.

From photos and the Book of the Castlrs, it appears that 5043 arrived at Barry with a collett tender. Checking the entries for other locos, 5051 was last paired with a hawks worth tender. I presume when 5051 left Barry, its purchasers asked for a tender swap?

As an aside, I quite like having models of engines I've been behind on the mainline. Given that is currently only City of Wells, 46233, Tangmere, Bittern, Britannia and 5043 it is a realistic ambition!

Edited by Clearwater