Severn Valley Railway

steve fay

I was there yesterday and it looked superb irrespective of the colour of the bricks.

This is pure speculation on my part but is the use of blue bricks for the new building to make it blend in more with the old buildings. Red bricks would make it more prominent & perhaps divert attention from the original station building.

This is pure speculation on my part but is the use of blue bricks for the new building to make it blend in more with the old buildings. Red bricks would make it more prominent & perhaps divert attention from the original station building.

If the intention was to make it blend in it should/ would have been built in stone.

It's an attractive building if your measure for such aesthetic value is of the order of 'I'm not clued up on Victorian or Edwardian buildings but I know what vaguely looks right'.

I'm confident that as a building it will provide what the SVR want from it- which is the important thing really.

If the intention was to make it blend in it should/ would have been built in stone.

It's an attractive building if your measure for such aesthetic value is of the order of 'I'm not clued up on Victorian or Edwardian buildings but I know what vaguely looks right'.

I'm confident that as a building it will provide what the SVR want from it- which is the important thing really.

I think the intention was to create a building that the GWR might have built early in the C20 - not to create an ersatz 'Victorian' extension.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The local planners wanted something that was clearly different to the original building. The heritage committee decided on blue bricks and being honest after all the set backs we are just glad its finished. It was as already correctly commented to have been something resembling the early 20th c.  Its great saying what should or should not have been done, however this is a massive improvement in facilities for our visitors from a 35 year old portakabin which was supposed to be there for a couple of years, please can we just enjoy it. There is alot more to be done, bore holes have been made for the new position of the turntable and at the moment the intention is to renew the track work in the yard in the winter of 2019/20 while Falling Sands is being worked on. the 2020 vision is looking really exciting, even if most of it can't be seen as its below you.

• RMweb Gold

The local planners wanted something that was clearly different to the original building. 

I've seen this mentioned before with other planning authorities - so I think it's a national thing. It makes no sense to me and you end up with lovely buildings that have some glass monstrosity attached to it instead of complimenting the original. If that's what they wanted, you guys have interpreted it well and I think it looks great :)

A good example of what I mean:

http://johnfinchpartnership.co.uk/commercial-kelvedon-park-kelvedon.html

• Like 1

Current thinking on such matters is that the honesty is important. Personally I agree with the notion that if it's old then it should be kept as such, but a new extension should clearly show that is not original. A big modern box on the back of an old house is fine in my view, but I can understand that it might not be to everyone's taste.

As for the SVR building, it looks like the kind of thing the GWR might have built had they felt the need for such a building, and will offer a much better facility than what it replaces. So it's very definitely a good thing.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Anyone got any idea what the situation is with 40 106 & its boiler repairs? When is it likely to be in use again?

cheers N

Sadly it will not be repaired in time for the last services of the 2018 timetable, which finish on Sunday. It is our only diesel still fitted with a steam heat boiler and we hope it will be back in time for February half term from what i have read.  Its a corker of an engine too. 

• RMweb Gold

Sadly it will not be repaired in time for the last services of the 2018 timetable, which finish on Sunday. It is our only diesel still fitted with a steam heat boiler and we hope it will be back in time for February half term from what i have read.  Its a corker of an engine too. 

Cheers

Wasnt there a plan to get a working boiler in to D821 at some stage? Only problem with Maybach engined locos is pre heat requirement however which sort of rules them out as thunderbirds...

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Agreed, it's a beaut and a really good addition to the SVR fleet. I was going to come up on Sat or Sun for it, but maybe Feb if it's out.

• RMweb Premium

Cheers

Wasnt there a plan to get a working boiler in to D821 at some stage? Only problem with Maybach engined locos is pre heat requirement however which sort of rules them out as thunderbirds...

Phil

Yes, I seem to remember that as well, however I have not picked up on the progress on this for some time

• 3 weeks later...

Once again I have returned to doing my railway photography following my hiatus after my awful results at the SVR Autumn Gala last year due to the weather. Started again on Monday and once again went back today to get extra of Class 09 D4100 Dick Hardy, Ruston Silver Spoon and a Seacow... :)

21st January 2019 - Birmingham Moor Street Station - Kidderminster

25th January 2019 - Kidderminster

45913692645_136b68b186_b.jpg

46776128682_e4c25c1cbb_b.jpg

46103299564_d62f6147a6_b.jpg

46103301984_8b27d65864_b.jpg

46103302904_7301157119_b.jpg

31887095137_1d30c9047b_b.jpg

46148030874_58c2826348_b.jpg

46148035454_ee2993890c_b.jpg

46148036454_4ab61a4c29_b.jpg

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi....

The reason for the smokebox to smokebox running of 1501 / 7714 double header was purely operational and for ease of coaling up each loco......both used as a substitute for 7802 which wasn't available for the first two Santa weekends, but 'Bradley'  was in use last weekend and hopefully will be for next Sat / Sun too....

Regards always.

Bob

Bunker to bunker, you might be confused to thinking it was a GWR Double Fairlie.

Hi Guys....

There's a palpable buzz in the air at the SVR over 75069's imminent return to service...fingers crossed on 16th Feb she'll be the first off B'nth...

Bridgnorth deservedly at long last has a new upper car park, a new restaurant building facility too with welcome non smelly loo's on site to boot!....

Interesting times...with future rearrangements within the existing building planned...

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the heads up Bob

A 4mt 4-6-0 is ideal for the Valley and the standards were always a favourite - will be up to get some miles in behind 75069 this year for sure...

Phil

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up Bob

A 4mt 4-6-0 is ideal for the Valley and the standards were always a favourite - will be up to get some miles in behind 75069 this year for sure...

Phil

Hi

Here's the link to SVR info for yourself and all to view.....

https://www.svr.co.uk/NewsItem.aspx?a=865

Regards always

Bob

Hi

Here's the link to SVR info for yourself and all to view.....

https://www.svr.co.uk/NewsItem.aspx?a=865

Regards always

Bob

I may have to take a trip on the first service.  Somewhere I have some photos I took of 70569 on my first visit to the Valley, with my late dad, some 20 or more years ago.  Was impressed with it then for some reason - will bring back a lot of memories to see it now.

Alastair

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.....

Just returned from a splendid day on the SVR....primarily to be on the first off Bridgnorth, celebrating not only the commencement of service trains on the 2019/20 season but also the return of 75069......

seen here bathed in brilliant sunshine of a mid-February morning......

104_1505_(3).JPG.7d8e2aa230463bee9b8091f491bb0815.JPG

104_1511.JPG.23ed72ec74fe7c955258a74d8e3b445c.JPG 104E1566.JPG.9cd8bbfb68717d93238fb7c7c53858f9.JPG104_1528.JPG.1cbe875ba7bd7932c1b50a73f84799a1.JPG

Regards always.....

Bob

• Like 13