The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

• RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff John - I remember that cover well although those mags went some time back in one of my downsizing exercises (with a heavy heart - hence I have few such exercises, and a large number of aged magazines).  And yes - you words about what we could find back then and what we can get now ring a bell and often cause me to remark about many folk not realising just how lucky we are.

Thanks Mike-we must be of near similar vintage. And yes, they don't know how well they are off.

I also think it a little sad they don't get the fun of fixing and improving what they now get complete, wrapped in plastic and in a shiny box!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike-we must be of near similar vintage. And yes, they don't know how well they are off.

I also think it a little sad they don't get the fun of fixing and improving what they now get complete, wrapped in plastic and in a shiny box!

Just worked it out(!) - I was 32 years old when that one was published and in charge (of the operational side) of what had once been the biggest engine shed on the GWR, which has since totally vanished.

And of course a lot of the stuff which comes in shiny boxes needs more attention than its purveyors might like to think, even if it's only changing bogie wheels for something which looks or is correct.

• RMweb Gold

Blimey John.An award winning modeller on the pages of RMweb.First class and nice to see that old magazine which was a bit before my modelling time but nice all the same.

Mike, I can see that we are not quite of the same vintage- I have matured for a few more years.

I am not, of course, averse to opening shiny boxes and using the contents-I'm grateful for them. But I can still "improve" the content and there, no loco of mine runs without proper weathering, lamps, coal and crew. I'm not particular about the wheels, providing they run true and free.

And Robin, thanks for that, that's not the only award I got at Manchester. A bit of bragging, see below:

post-3088-0-74388600-1417907679_thumb.jpg

This was a "roundy" layout that ran virtually non-stop from the exhibitions opening to its close. If I were to build another show layout this is what I would do again. Great fun.

And whilst in bragging mode, (you got me started on this)  I've had published altogether over fifty articles in the model and historical press both in the UK and USA. And others accepted but not published yet. Whilst some are still being written.

Regards to you both,

• RMweb Gold

Mike, I can see that we are not quite of the same vintage- I have matured for a few more years.

I am not, of course, averse to opening shiny boxes and using the contents-I'm grateful for them. But I can still "improve" the content and there, no loco of mine runs without proper weathering, lamps, coal and crew. I'm not particular about the wheels, providing they run true and free.

And Robin, thanks for that, that's not the only award I got at Manchester. A bit of bragging, see below:

attachicon.gifimg245-2.jpg

This was a "roundy" layout that ran virtually non-stop from the exhibitions opening to its close. If I were to build another show layout this is what I would do again. Great fun.

And whilst in bragging mode, (you got me started on this)  I've had published altogether over fifty articles in the model and historical press both in the UK and USA. And others accepted but not published yet. Whilst some are still being written.

Regards to you both,

You're definitely running ahead of me on printed articles then John - I think I can only claim about 20 but I've never bothered to count them (and a couple of chapters in books).

Below is an article about Owlcombe, it's not the original 1980 one as that will not scan very well. It is however a fair precis. This is all I have as a record of the layout. Other than some pleasant memories-and the Goods Shed at Hintock. 

post-3088-0-71189600-1418048534_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-18004200-1418048574.jpg

post-3088-0-21327200-1418221201_thumb.jpg

I have a fondness for half-cab Panniers and these show one of the earliest 27XX's from Hornby. This I probably i got in the early1980's. It was a great improvement on what had gone before.

With coal, couplings, crew, lamps and weathering it looked  quite well (apart from the wheels). The coal seems a little low-but it is there-the loco has had a hard day's shunting and its now off to the shed.

Not now a runner, today it participates in distant photos and where the wheels can't be readily seen. If not seen already it does appear in some of HTQ-of which more in due course.

post-3088-0-55383000-1418221274_thumb.jpg

For those laid low by "bugs" my commiserations, and I hope this post helps brighten your day. Get well soon.

• RMweb Gold

Below is an article about Owlcombe, it's not the original 1980 one as that will not scan very well. It is however a fair precis. This is all I have as a record of the layout. Other than some pleasant memories-and the Goods Shed at Hintock. 

attachicon.gifimg247-2.jpg

attachicon.gifimg249-1.jpg

A nice overview of the layout, John. Can I ask which Rivarossi loco it was that you used?

That half-cab scrubs up rather well.  I've often been tempted by one but wasn't sure, after seeing these pics I might not resist next time!

The article on Owlcombe stirs a few memories, I'm sure I can remember the picture of the tank&clerestory heading for the bridge, even if not the rest of the article.

The picture of the Model Trains cover makes me wish I hadn't binned mine a few years back in a clear out, it was always a good magazine. 

Gentlemen, thank  you for your continuing interest and for the "likes", I do aim to please.

post-3088-0-70073800-1418307230_thumb.jpg

Mikkel: as far as I can recall it was an Italian State Railways loco, beyond that I cannot say-it's over forty years ago.

The photo shows how well it Great Westernized with some minor alterations, new fittings, paint, transfer, name "Excalibur" and #94, It was an excellent performer and attracted no end of attention at exhibitions. It actually was quite amusing to hear the "experts" sounding off about it, and even some asked a question. It was photographed on Little Hintock.

I no longer have it, it's retired in a glass case and with Nicholas my younger son, who at age eleven was an expert operator and able assistant whom I could happily leave in charge at exhibitions whilst I went off and enjoyed the show. He still retains an interest and whenever visits always constructively comments on the latest development at Hintock and operates a train or two.

Andy: glad that the cold is going, they are such nasty things.

Jules: very nice to see you posting again, yes, I agree it's a fact that certain magazine covers stick in the memory as that one did for you. Chris Ellis, the editor of MT is still around and active in the hobby and for whom I still write articles.

The loco does look well and with that little bit of attention, currently I don't have one running but like you whenever next available I might be tempted.

Regards to all,

• RMweb Gold

Beautiful pic of the priarie tank John.  I do prefer them over the pannier tanks, though I must admit to liking the bark of the panniers, they are a gutsy engine, especially the recordings of a pair of them banking trains up the Lickey.

I really like what you did with HTQ by the way, it is a nice little layout.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony, yes those Prairies do look so well and like you I think them both workmanlike and appealing. Panniers are all very well in their way, but the Prairies have that extra touch of class.

I'm pleased HTQ is to your taste. I must say it's very satisfying to go into a different room, switch on, sit down, draw cards,set out and pick up wagons for a few minutes or so. It is so very relaxing.

And perhaps too you will like this shot.

post-3088-0-73113600-1418482438_thumb.jpg

Thanks Tony, yes those Prairies do look so well and like you I think them both workmanlike and appealing. Panniers are all very well in their way, but the Prairies have that extra touch of class.

I'm pleased HTQ is to your taste. I must say it's very satisfying to go into a different room, switch on, sit down, draw cards,set out and pick up wagons for a few minutes or so. It is so very relaxing.

And perhaps too you will like this shot.

attachicon.gif017-1.jpg

I must confess to a sneaky liking for Panniers in BR black - no.... I mustn't .... 1930s!!!

The photo shows how well it Great Westernized with some minor alterations, new fittings, paint, transfer, name "Excalibur" and #94, It was an excellent performer and attracted no end of attention at exhibitions. It actually was quite amusing to hear the "experts" sounding off about it, and even some asked a question. It was photographed on Little Hintock.

Well what a wonderful surprise - Little Hintock was one of the most inspirational layouts that I remember from my childhood, and I simply hadn't put two and two together to make the connection. My parents gave me a subscription to the Model and Miniature Railways part work in the early 70s, and I loved the article on Little Hintock (issue no 32 from 1974 - I've just gone and read it again) - it simply looked so real to me. That was back in the Dark Ages of bright red Hall class locos and generic rolling stock from Triang and those dreadful gloomy black and white photographs in the main magazines - by contrast Little Hintock looked astonishing to this nine year old. The huge, full colour illustrations of a beautifully modelled branch line made a huge impact on me, and showed me just what could be achieved by a determined and talented modeller. Thank you, both for the inspiration that you gave me back in the 1970s, and for the continued inspiration today.

David

Hi John- wonderful recent photos of the layout and enjoyed the articles back in time. A query; all you stock seem to have kaydee couplings which I know from my American modeller friends here in NZ are totally reliable. For the British stock with the variability of heights and mouldings there is often comments about how difficult it is to get consistency with the kaydees. Have you found this John or do you stick to one kaydee number/type or some other method of standardisation?

I am trying to weigh up the options for automatic couplers for my layout to improve operational fun. Kaydees are easily available here in NZ whereas some of the other options like spratt and winkle require e-purchase (not difficult but more so that local kaydee purchase).

I would value your observations on this please as you have obviously been successfully using them on stock for some time. Nothing like hearing a voice of experience before plunging in...

many thanks, Andy R

Richard, you must have a long memory if you can recall Excalibur from its early years on PH&BD as seen in the MRN of 1968/9 and on LH in the 1970's. But it was a memorable loco-as recent posts demonstrate and streets ahead of anything produced by British manufacturers of that period.

Frontal views don't do it much justice but this below will show it. The photo, by Brian Monaghan, also shows some of Little Hintock-Mk2. The track is Gem, the 14XX  a K's kit, and the water tower is on my current Hintock (heightened and covered with Slater's plasticard-another long lived item) and too as is the horse and cart.

post-3088-0-20539400-1418564820_thumb.jpg

sp1, I think black suits Panniers, and you can see this in post #723, there the loco is a dark green not too many shades away from black and how well it looks.

In full GWR splendour it would appear, I suggest, rather toy like.

DavidB, that is the most gracious and generous commendation and that leaves me a little wordless, so may I just say a simple "thank you". It is appreciated very much.

Little did I know, or consider that over forty years later the article I wrote in 1972 would still be read and apposite. The approach from PB Whitehouse came out of the blue and I can only assume he had seen my 1972 article on Little Hintock and the photographs in MR. As you say the full page photos were impressive as was the overall treatment of the subject matter. The article too reads well today.

Moving on to current events and in which, given your early introduction, you might be interested, Hintock, my modelling philosophy and approach is now the subject of an on-line book. (The driving force behind this are my eldest son Christopher, an Immigration Attorney in Montana, and here in Utah my younger son Nicholas a Professor of Computer Science.) The book is still being worked on with a chapter on HTQ and a picture gallery to be added, and this will be done fairly soon. Meantime, I suggest,it's worth a look.

It is another further step since that particular article that meant so much to you back in 1972 was published. How times change in regard to presentation.

It can be found at http://www.hintockbranch.com/ EDIT: THIS IS LIKELY TO LEAD TO AN EARLIER VERSION.

THE REVISED AND CURRENT VERSION CAN, I hope, BE FOUND ON GOOGLE @ hintock

Normal services will be reestablished as soon as possible.

Archived